shape
carat
color
clarity

The Cupcake Thread!

InLuv101

Brilliant_Rock

I made some Mother''s Day cuppies too for the ladies in my office. The frosting came out a bit soft. Maybe it was the icing coloring? Not too sure. It was already sooo sweet that I didn''t want to add more sugar. Oh well, they liked them anyway.

It was also my first time working with fondant. I made the flowers earlier in the week. They were surprisingly easy to make and I know I''ll be using fondant for toppers in the future.

MothersDay2009cupcakes.JPG

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
GORGEOUS InLuv, they look fantastic!! I love the yellow, and those flowers are amazing! Clever girl!!!
36.gif
36.gif

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
You''re welcome Dandi! The whipped cream alone will not hold on display--but i think if you add a stabilizer it should be fine. A cream cheese frosting would be yummy for sure, just not *as* authentic

InLuv--we used the same cut-out didn''t we!? I love how you layered them. I will have to do that next time when i have some more time to devote to it. It looks great!
and i like your colors too.
The dots were just from a local bulk/bin store

InLuv101

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Diandi and JAs.

Jas -- I thought we used the same cut out, lol. It''s just the prettiest flower cut out I''ve seen. The layering was fun...I saw it on a blog so I decided to try it.

lili

Ideal_Rock
Jas12 and InLuv--
Those flowered cuppies are beautiful.
Question, how does the fondant taste?

InLuv101

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/12/2009 12:28:04 PM
Author: lili
Jas12 and InLuv--
Those flowered cuppies are beautiful.
Question, how does the fondant taste?
Lili--I''m really not sure how it tastes. I''ve heard it doesn''t taste good so I''ve never tried it.

InLuv101

Brilliant_Rock
Does anyone know if the Ateco 829 is bigger than the Wilton 1M tip? I''m trying to find some info online that compares the sizes of Ateco to Wilton, but not having any luck. Can anyone help?

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
Lili--Thanks!
fondant kinda tastes like slightly sweet gum when it''s soft (same sort of texture and mouth feel as gum) but then it hardens and it is like a slightly sweet candy (not sure what it compares to) . It''s not great tasting-anytime i have cake covered in fondant i peel it all off if it''s still on there, but it''s edible and of course great for decorating.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jas, I love displaying my mixer..it's the Grass Green one from WS that they had last year. Funny, I hardly use it, only for things like breads or big cakes, everything else is easier by hand. Love your pics, the fondant is fun right.

InLuv...not sure if one is bigger than the other (though I prob have both)...but tips are like two bucks or something so I have the bad habit of buying them all the time if I am not sure I have one. I must have about 20-30 of the super large ones in all diff brands. I also got some plastic ones online from Australia that I love to use, somehow more 'forgiving' in frosting yield than the metal.

Made some requested rainbow vanilla bean cuppies today for a last minute order. I am not a fan of the rainbow cake thing as it looks like hippie tie dye to me...but mine came out really cute if I do say so myself, HAHAA. I took some photos so will try to post this week.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Anyone have a go to chocolate cuppy recipe? I am not a chocolate girl, but promised a friend birthday cupcakes next week and he requested chocolate. I was thinking of doing some with raspberry frosting, some with vanilla. Hmm. I have been searching around the internet and haven''t seen anything that jumps out at me just yet. Help?!
1.gif
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
icekid..a lot of people like ina garten''s chocolate cupcake recipe. also cupcakeblog.com has one that is valhrona chocolate but it''s almost like a brownie rather than a cupcake. it just depends on what kind of chocolate you want to use..there are so many different ones.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/14/2009 11:15:24 AM
Author: Mara
icekid..a lot of people like ina garten's chocolate cupcake recipe. also cupcakeblog.com has one that is valhrona chocolate but it's almost like a brownie rather than a cupcake. it just depends on what kind of chocolate you want to use..there are so many different ones.

I guess that's the problem- since I don't like chocolate myself, I have no idea what I want to achieve exactly ha. Whatever I choose, I'm sure he'll love them anyway; he is a guy, after all! The Ina Garten one looks interesting though (the one that uses chocolate syrup?). Thanks, Mara!

MommaBear

Shiny_Rock
Hi Cupcake lovers!
I''m going to use the cupcake theme for my daughter''s 1st birthday.
We are going to play pin the candle on the cupcake and have cupcakes on a
cupcake stand, rather than a big cake.
On the invite, I''m going to word it something like this:

Come for some fun
celebrate our little cupcake
who''s turning 1!

Any other ideas? I have exactly a month to get this together!!
Thanks in advance!!

InLuv101

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/14/2009 1:55:52 AM
Author: Mara
InLuv...not sure if one is bigger than the other (though I prob have both)...but tips are like two bucks or something so I have the bad habit of buying them all the time if I am not sure I have one. I must have about 20-30 of the super large ones in all diff brands. I also got some plastic ones online from Australia that I love to use, somehow more ''forgiving'' in frosting yield than the metal.
Thanks Mara! I did get the Ateco 829 in today and it is def. bigger than the Wilton 1 M. I will try to take a pic of them side by side over the weekend so anyone interested can see the difference. I''m also planning on taking a stab at the snickerdoodle cuppies this weekend and use the Ateco 829 to see how it pipes. Will report back with pics on Monday!

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock
Hey girls I am looking for a really chocolaty moist cuppie recipe. I have my frosting recipe all lined up already!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m still pondering on the Black Forrest CUpcake thing, but in the meantime here are some I did for my lovely boss today, she is hosting a 135th birthday party! I must have reaised my eyebrows when she told me that because she laughed, and then explainedthat her dad is turning 70 and her mum is 65 in the same day, hence the 135!

She wasn''t sure what everyone would like so I did Red Velvets because they''re so purdy
5.gif

RedVelvetsForRose 001.jpg

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was annoyed because the cake shop usually have those little balls in white, but of course were out of stock so I had to use silver, stuffit. They looked pretty with the silver foils, though.

RedVelvetsForRose 003.jpg

DoctorBear

Rough_Rock
36.gif
I am SOOOOO loving this thread, thank you ladies. I LOVE to bake, it is what I do to cheer myself up if I''m having a down day. There''s something so very theraputic about creating these wonderfully coloured, sweetly smelling soft little gems.... However, before I get too carried away, I must confess that I never actually eat them!. I love making them, but don''t have a sweet tooth and can''t bear to eat them. I don''t like chocolate either, sorry!!! I have to look for eager volunteers to eat my creations (not that difficult though with three eager children). Thank you for the recipes and ideas for new flavours too, it''s all much appreciated and I do feel a baking day coming on, well, tomorrow''s Sunday, so who knows.....

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
FYI, whipped cream will hold up, but you have to be very careful about the stage to which you whip it to.

Also, please don''t use maraschino cherries for Black Forest Cake. The cherries are the most important part along with chocolate shavings and Kirschwasser, and the only reason they are really used is because they look pretty. The cherries are supposed to be tart, and maraschinos are anything but.

msb700

Brilliant_Rock
hey everyone..with my ''baking'' for my son''s second birthday i discovered i had a hidden love for those tiny little cakes..they just made me so happy and i found such satisfaction in baking them..so! i have decided to start a small side business as i''ve gotten rave reviews from those who had sampled my cuppies..its still very low key, between friends and family as i am very busy with other things, but im hoping to finalize my menu/pics and circulate them amongst everyone so things pick up..

here are a few samples...thanks for looking!

banana cupcakes with cinnamon frosting & walnuts

frosted banana2.jpg

msb700

Brilliant_Rock
strawberry filled vanilla cuppies with strawberry frosting

straw3.jpg

msb700

Brilliant_Rock
plain vanilla with buttercream frosting and chocolate shaving..

van_choc_shaving3.jpg

lili

Ideal_Rock
msb
yum
18.gif
18.gif

they look so appetizing.
do you mind sharing the recipe for the banana cuppy?
oh, are these egg-free?

msb700

Brilliant_Rock
last one...red velvet with cream cheese frosting

sorry for the pic overload!

red vlvt.JPG

msb700

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/17/2009 3:21:46 AM
Author: lili
msb

yum
18.gif
18.gif

they look so appetizing.

do you mind sharing the recipe for the banana cuppy?

oh, are these egg-free?

thanks lili :)

some are egg-free (vanilla with chocolate shaving & the red-velvet)..the banana isnt =) i dont have the recipe with me at the moment, its at home..will look it up when i get there and send it to you :)

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Great photos ladies... I am drooling
9.gif

I am doing my first ever chocolate cuppies later, with chocolate and raspberry frosting for a friend''s birthday today. Aside from the fact that I did not sleep a bit last night, I am really excited. Will report back on the results!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/16/2009 9:16:47 PM
Author: FrekeChild
FYI, whipped cream will hold up, but you have to be very careful about the stage to which you whip it to.

Also, please don''t use maraschino cherries for Black Forest Cake. The cherries are the most important part along with chocolate shavings and Kirschwasser, and the only reason they are really used is because they look pretty. The cherries are supposed to be tart, and maraschinos are anything but.
Ditto Freke.

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
Msb--that''s great that you have a little side business going--have fun with it. Your creations look yumm!!!

Cuppie lovers, i need HELP. I have to do cuppies for a friend''s wedding shower. She is very funky and her colors are a limey green, plum and black and white. I am hosting the evening shower at a local bar (it''s funky with decorative tin restored ceilings, brick walls, mini chandeliers etc). I want to do cuppies with a damask print on them. In an ideal world i would do the icings in plum and green and have a white fondant topper with a black stenciled damask pattern. I know i need to do some major practice so i am looking for a stencil, but have come up with nothin. eeks
anyone come across one?
Ideas in general?
any sites i can search?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/17/2009 8:26:06 PM
Author: Jas12
Msb--that''s great that you have a little side business going--have fun with it. Your creations look yumm!!!

Cuppie lovers, i need HELP. I have to do cuppies for a friend''s wedding shower. She is very funky and her colors are a limey green, plum and black and white. I am hosting the evening shower at a local bar (it''s funky with decorative tin restored ceilings, brick walls, mini chandeliers etc). I want to do cuppies with a damask print on them. In an ideal world i would do the icings in plum and green and have a white fondant topper with a black stenciled damask pattern. I know i need to do some major practice so i am looking for a stencil, but have come up with nothin. eeks

anyone come across one?

Ideas in general?

any sites i can search?

Jas you might be able to use a damask stamp and stamp onto some round fondant toppers with some kind of food coloring...just throwing out ideas.

If you google "damask stencil" there are a few out there but some might be too big. You aren''t looking to cut it out right? I think that would be too hard...I''m thinking spraying food color or stamping might work best...

msb700

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Jas!

How about checking out this site? they''ve got cookie stencils, but perhaps you can use them for cupcake toppers too?

http://www.designerstencils.com/

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results