shape
carat
color
clarity

PS integrating into my real life...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Funny / slap my forehead moment...

I was just on Facebook and saw a message I''d left for a girl I knew back in college. I mentioned something about my fiance, and I wrote, "Yeah, my FI used to do that..." as part of the message. I read over it just now and realized that no one I know probably knows what "FI" means, hahaha. I felt silly, kind of a - roll my eyes, slap my forehead, and shake my head at myself - type moment. My fingers have obviously gotten used to PS lingo and don''t even realize how to type without all the abbreviations!
20.gif

So do your PS time/habits translate their way into your real life without you realizing it too?
3.gif

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
All the time! I find myself wanting to use terms/abbreviations like DH all the time. But the worst is when someone is telling a story, and I chime in because I can relate because I "know" someone who went through something similar, and then I realize I''m telling a story about someone from PS! It''s so odd, I go to say, oh I have this friend, or I know this person, but then I realize that isn''t quite right. But I also feel very odd saying, Oh, someone who posts on the same message board as me said...

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Ha! I almost did the same thing earlier this week! I wanted to tell my cousin about something I read on here that related to what she was talking about, then I stopped myself because I couldn''t say "my friend" or even "this person I know" - haha so I just held the information.
3.gif

Most people I know only use "hubby" or "husband" - DH just comes so easily in my head now!! Haha but I''d probably get some strange looks for using that. Even if I explained what it meant.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
At least DH or FI is a normal Internet abbreviation. Try calling your husband "TGuy" and see what kind of look you get.
20.gif

tlh

Ideal_Rock
I DID THAT to my husband. we were at work and IM''ing each other on the work IM. (Called sametime here) and I said something about my DH. and he''s like... what is that? a duped hottie?
I laughed so hard that I snorted like a little piggy.
23.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I always write D instead of his real name when I''m emailing and so many people have been like what''s D?!

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/1/2009 12:30:24 PM
Author: Sabine
All the time! I find myself wanting to use terms/abbreviations like DH all the time. But the worst is when someone is telling a story, and I chime in because I can relate because I ''know'' someone who went through something similar, and then I realize I''m telling a story about someone from PS! It''s so odd, I go to say, oh I have this friend, or I know this person, but then I realize that isn''t quite right. But I also feel very odd saying, Oh, someone who posts on the same message board as me said...
I do that all the time! I feel like a weirdo...
1.gif

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
My mom just pointed out to me yesterday that the last 3 e-mails I sent her were signed: LS
6.gif

She''s like, who''s that????

LS

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
At least you weren''t talking about your STDs.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/1/2009 1:52:35 PM
Author: Italiahaircolor

or your BM''s.....

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/1/2009 2:15:01 PM
Author: somethingshiny

or your BM''s.....
Or your PADS!

I noticed Linda and Tgal kept mentioning the lovely "pads" in their posts. I had to look it up. lol.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
All the time! I find myself wanting to use terms/abbreviations like DH all the time. But the worst is when someone is telling a story, and I chime in because I can relate because I ''know'' someone who went through something similar, and then I realize I''m telling a story about someone from PS! It''s so odd, I go to say, oh I have this friend, or I know this person, but then I realize that isn''t quite right. But I also feel very odd saying, Oh, someone who posts on the same message board as me said...

I do that too!
9.gif

Gayletmom

Brilliant_Rock

I do that often and then feel really strange saying "Well, someone I met on a message board says you should..." I suppose it''s that I trust the advice I get from so many of you here and I want to pass it on. We travelled to NY recently and Harriet helped me plan the trip. My dh and kids got used to hearing me tell them that "Harriet" recommended a restaurant or shop.

icekid

Ideal_Rock

or your BM''s.....
hahaha, love it!

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
I told my sister the other day I needed her address to send her an STD. She wondered how I would send that in an envelope. Hahaha!!
9.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/1/2009 12:51:43 PM
Author: TravelingGal
At least DH or FI is a normal Internet abbreviation. Try calling your husband ''TGuy'' and see what kind of look you get.
20.gif
lol!

I don''t think I''ve ever had an abbreviation slip outside PS, but I don''t usually use the abbreviations that are popular on here (I did use FI because I was SO frustrated with the html mistaking of the accented e in fiancé), so I''m not just used to typing them all the time
1.gif

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
I do this too! It''s just too hard sometimes to explain that I "know" people on a message board so I just pretend that it''s someone I know IRL. If it''s just an aquaintance it''s not like it really matters anyways where the story came from.

I''ve slipped and used "DH" a few times in real-time conversations and I always get a
33.gif
look from whoever I''m talking too. Oops!

I don''t talk about PS too much with people IRL. My SIL and one of my other friends knows that I''m on here (a lot!) and I talk about some of the threads with a coworker too. My coworker is funny because she has kids that are around my age and she just doesn''t "get" message boards so she thinks its strange that we get on here and talk so candidly about our lives and jewelry obsession.

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/1/2009 1:48:22 PM
Author: LostSapphire
My mom just pointed out to me yesterday that the last 3 e-mails I sent her were signed: LS
6.gif

She''s like, who''s that????

LS
Hahaha, how funny!!!
3.gif

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
BAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! Wow, never considered that one... haha!!

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/1/2009 9:34:53 PM
Author: DivaDiamond007

I don''t talk about PS too much with people IRL. My SIL and one of my other friends knows that I''m on here (a lot!) and I talk about some of the threads with a coworker too. My coworker is funny because she has kids that are around my age and she just doesn''t ''get'' message boards so she thinks its strange that we get on here and talk so candidly about our lives and jewelry obsession.
Haha no one else knows I''m on here except FI. And he laughs at home much I enjoy it. I''ve almost mentioned it to my mom before, but I figured I''d just get the crazy look. We just set her up with her own email, so she''s a good ways away from forums. :)

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/1/2009 2:22:09 PM
Author: luckystar112

or your BM''s.....

Or your PADS!

I noticed Linda and Tgal kept mentioning the lovely ''pads'' in their posts. I had to look it up. lol.

ha ha ha ha, I bet you were wondering about that one!!!
41.gif

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/1/2009 6:15:22 PM
Author: sunnyd

I told my sister the other day I needed her address to send her an STD. She wondered how I would send that in an envelope. Hahaha!!
9.gif
Sunny, this made me LOL!
9.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I used to chat online in a real time chatroom. I was using the term ''lol'' so often that I actually said it out loud when my husband made me laugh!

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
I was at the jewelery store yesterday browsing 5 stone rings. (Wishful thinking!!) A woman was trying on bands next to me... She was going between a micro-pave domed band (pretty wide, at least 4-5 mm or so...) and a wide band of emerald cuts. I told her I liked the first one better. When she asked my why, I tried to explain that I like the sparkle of the melees better than the flashes from the step cuts. (For THIS particular ring at least...) She looked at me like I was speaking Greek. I finally said "the first one has more bling factor.
41.gif

Definitely. Maybe

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/1/2009 1:43:07 PM
Author: sunnyd

I do that all the time! I feel like a weirdo...
1.gif
I do this also. I always have to pause and think about if I actually ''know'' the person I am referring to and realize that I am talking about something I read on PS.
20.gif
I just continue the story/advice as if I do know the person IRL or I just say "I read on the internet..." that way I don''t feel like I am lying.

GoingCrazy29

Shiny_Rock
My FI was seeing one of our friends that lived about 2 hours away a few weekends ago so I just had him take our STD to give him in person. I saw our friend at a wedding this weekend and in front of everyone at our table said " Hey Jeff, did Andrew give you our STD the other weekend?". Everyone just looked at me like I was crazy and then cracked up. I had to explain that STD is an abbreviation for Save the Dates on the internet. I was so embarressed and felt like such a geek :)

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/3/2009 8:49:21 PM
Author: GoingCrazy29
My FI was seeing one of our friends that lived about 2 hours away a few weekends ago so I just had him take our STD to give him in person. I saw our friend at a wedding this weekend and in front of everyone at our table said '' Hey Jeff, did Andrew give you our STD the other weekend?''. Everyone just looked at me like I was crazy and then cracked up. I had to explain that STD is an abbreviation for Save the Dates on the internet. I was so embarressed and felt like such a geek :)
Hahahaha, how funny!!! And in PERSON!
3.gif
It''s ok - geeks at heart unite!
9.gif

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/3/2009 8:51:58 AM
Author: Tuckins1
I was at the jewelery store yesterday browsing 5 stone rings. (Wishful thinking!!) A woman was trying on bands next to me... She was going between a micro-pave domed band (pretty wide, at least 4-5 mm or so...) and a wide band of emerald cuts. I told her I liked the first one better. When she asked my why, I tried to explain that I like the sparkle of the melees better than the flashes from the step cuts. (For THIS particular ring at least...) She looked at me like I was speaking Greek. I finally said ''the first one has more bling factor.
41.gif
Haha, gotta put it in basic terms, huh? Ah, to think back before our days of PS knowledge...
32.gif

I love to look at the specifics and details of people''s rings I see in person now. But most people would freak if I wanted to look at it for long - most people that I know just look at a ring in terms of "oh wow, so pretty!" or usually just how big the diamond is. Part of me wanted to get a colored stone just to throw them all off - they''d probably say I was crazy, I was "supposed to get a diamond!" I notice things now, like the quality of cut affecting the darkness of a diamond, and I enjoy details, like the basket of the ring. But most people I know can''t see anything past - you guessed it, the "bling factor." The diamond I chose was a RB, but I bet most of them would have balked at anything else - haha if I''d shown up with an EC, they''d probably ask if it was a diamond!
20.gif

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
I reference PS a lot, at least to my FI. But he knows it as the "Diamond & Wedding Blog"

I feel odd saying it''s a "message board"

So often I''ll say, "Someone on the wedding blog.... blahblahblah" A total misrepresentation? Yes. But it prevents FI from knowing how stroooong my diamond obsession is becoming
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results