shape
carat
color
clarity

New here and newly engaged...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Jesi15

Rough_Rock
Let me start off by saying I''''ve lurked on here quite a bit, never posted, and I''''m not even sure if this is the right forum area to do so, so excuse me if this is the wrong place, and please direct me where to go...

So my fiance and I have been together for 4 1/2 years. We actually have two children together, so in our lives, we work backwards...

We spoke of getting engaged a lot, finally decided to do it with this year''''s tax return. He got me a 1/2 carat Leo diamond from Kay Jewelers, and let me assure you, it has been nothing short of a nightmare. It was repaired several times and even placed in a new band. I''''m still not totally happy with it, but I''''m sick of it not being on my finger and being repaired because Jared''''s apparently repairs it and does a half @$$ed job.

I know almost nothing about diamonds. I have no engagement story. We went to Kay''''s and picked out a ring together. He didn''''t propose, he just put the ring on my finger in the parking lot at Olive Garden before we went in and ate. Kind of sad really. I''''m sure you can see I''''m sad about it, I expected a nice engagement story for all to hear, but I have nothing. I don''''t know what more to say.

Anyhow, my big concern is, here we thought we were getting a great diamond, but I see tons of bashing about the Leo diamonds on this site and others. So did we get ripped off? I love it and I know that''''s all that matters, but I just hate getting ripped off. I must add, we traded in my mother''''s engagement ring from my ex stepdad, and my new stepdad (Yeah, my mother has been married 3 times...crazy b*tch...lol!) knew the DM at our local Kay''''s, so not only did we get the trade in for my mom''''s ring, but we practically got an employee discount too. We only paid about half for the ring than we should have by the price tag.

I have the certificate and even paid an extra $25 to IGI or something like that to have it registered in my name...not sure if that was a waste of money or not, but it''''s too late now!

Any feedback would be great. I''''m going on 24 and I live in the Buffalo, NY area, a distant suburb of it, so there aren''''t a lot of options around here except the chains and a few locally owned and operated stores. I just really hated my engagement experience, no proposal, but I love my fiance, don''''t get me wrong, I really wouldn''''t even care, but so many people ask how he proposed...and I am just like, well...he didn''''t. It then makes me sad. Kay''''s is horrible and we will never go back, though I am leaning towards Jared''''s. I like their pieces and they were VERY helpful and friendly. Way better than Kay''''s was, but I don''''t know if I should do that either.

I would like to get my ring appraised. How do I do that? Does it cost anything? How do I know that it is accurate? I''''m so confused and uneducated in all of this...

Thanks for any help/feedback!

Jesi

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Jesi,

I''m sorry the proposal didn''t go the way you wanted, but if it will make you feel any better, you''re not alone. Lots of gals don''t get the lovely, romantic proposal they dreamed of. If you do a search on here for that, you''ll get many threads on it. I know that doesn''t make it all better, but maybe it will help a little bit.
2.gif

As for your diamond, please don''t feel it''s bad from what you''ve read here. While the Leo is not for everyone, it certainly doesn''t mean it''s not for anyone! There are some very happy Leo owners that have posted here. And, you picked it out and love it, that''s really all that matters. As to whether you got ripped off or not, that can be easily remedied, just take it to an independant appraiser. I will give you the link to all the PS appraisers in NY, hopefully one is close to you. (I''m not familiar as I''m in IL) The cost varies, from state to state, and how thorough an appraisal you want done, but the average price is around 100-150.

If you''re not happy with the setting, I would recommend getting a new one somewhere else.

I hope this helps! And congratulations!
36.gif

http://www.pricescope.com/appraisers_NY.aspx

raz91

Rough_Rock
Congratulations on getting engaged!

Ditto what Ellen says on the appraiser.

It''s not clear what you want to do with the ring (other than get it appraised). If you love your ring, then I wouldn''t do anything about it (and in fact, an appraisal might not be necessary unless you''re looking for peace of mind and/or insurance).

If you''re looking for a new ring (you mentioned looking at Jared''s), definitely use this forum to explore and the really nice people on here can help you find the ring and diamond of your dreams (that''s what happened with me!). I''d suggest going to visit Jared''s but don''t buy on your first visit and get a sense of what you like and what fits your budget. There are plenty of highly reputable online vendors that PSers tend to use who can give you a great price for a great e-ring. Good luck!!

BB2

Rough_Rock
Cool, I''m originally from the Buffalo area too. I''ve had a couple friends go to Andrew''s Jewelers in Buffalo - they seem happy with their experience.

HornAround

Shiny_Rock
My family is from Buffalo! Go Bills!

Sorry you didn''t get the proposal you wanted and most likely deserved.

karend26

Shiny_Rock
Well, I''d be willing to bet that even some of the people who have amazing engagement stories still end of up divorced. It would be an interesting statistic to find out! Anyway, the relationship is what''s really important, which you already know.

As far as Leo''s, I saw an independent appraisal of one on here somewhere. It said that Leo''s typically face up smaller than traditionally cut rounds, but that the extra facets they have do create more sparkle and fire which make it look bigger, so it kind of evens out. The Leo''s have a little different look than traditionally faceted round cuts, so whether you like the look or not is just personal preference. It sounds you do like the look, so that''s good! The other issue with Leo''s is that they are all sold in chain/mall stores, which usually means they are overpriced, but since you get extra discounts, it sounds like that isn''t an issue either. If you think getting an appraisal to confirm that you didn''t get ripped off will make you feel better, then definitely do it. The peace of mind would be worth it.

I have a center stone from Good Old Gold (one of the outstanding online vendors recommended on here a lot), which is ideally cut, and it is set in a Leo setting. And those little Leo sidestones truly stand up next to my gorgeous center stone! I hope some professionals weigh in on this, but from my personal experience Leo''s are nicely cut and perfectly good diamonds, depending on personal preference for the look, and getting them at a reasonable price.

Hope this helps!!!

Jesi15

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the help! No, I don''t want a new engagement ring. That was one of the things that the one guy we talked to about the Leo''s was. He told us we could upgrade at any time. I don''t think so mister. My ring is sentimental to me, no matter what, this will be my engagement ring. If Eric wants to buy me a bigger diamond someday for an anniversary, then fine, but this diamond will never leave my finger or possession. (I knock on wood that I never lose my finger...LOL)

That being said, I just wanted to be sure we didn''t get overcharged. I would like to insure my ring, so I will take a look at getting appraised to do so.

I want to go to Jared''s to get our wedding bands, not upgrade my current stone. The only way I will get rid of this stone is if I find out it''s worth significantly less than we paid, then we will return it and hopefully I''ll get the proposal I had hoped for! Haha! I don''t know though, I guess I''ll have to see what the appraiser says...so now on to my hunt for that one!

Anyone have a super favorite for a wedding band place? I''d like to design my own, but at the same time, my tastes are so broad, I have no idea where to even start!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results