shape
carat
color
clarity

Baby Names.. just for fun.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Feralpenchant

Shiny_Rock
Orchid''s thread got me thinking.. What are everyone''s picks for names, both boys and girls? If you already have children but don''t want to share their names, what would you name your next child if you were to have another?

I don''t know if I want children, but if I did, my picks would be..

Girl: Joanna, Lydia, and Emma.
Boy: Eli, Cyrus, Julian, and James.

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
I LOVE babynames!!! I'm set to have my first baby in the next few weeks, so we'll see what we end up with. We're still not 100% sure.

Here are some of my likes:
GIRLS:
Alouette
Ava
Maya
Bianca
Soleil
Mia
Mila
Eva
Simone
Aurora
Claudia
Beatrice
Luna
Valentina
Aria
Audrey
Danika
Gemma
Nadia
Felicity
Celeste
Nova
Neve
Neva
Eden
Peridot
Flora
Chiara
Allegra
Augusta
Isla
Nia
Lavender
Lucy
Mimi
Camille
Noel / Noelle
Gigi
Marisol

BOYS:
Roman
Romeo
Rocky
Christian
Stefan
Andre
Wolfgang
Elijah
Valentino
Orlando
Max (Massimiliano)
Isaiah
Oscar
Xavier
Axel
Isaac
Felix
Rock
Lake
Hudson
Rio
Phoenix
Rockwell
Nixon

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
I have a hard time with this because we''ll want to have names that reflect both his culture and mine, but it''s really hard to find names that are pronounceable in both languages. Girls'' names are much easier, I don''t think we''ll have a problem there...but boys'' names will be a problem we''ll address when the time comes.
1.gif
Currently, my favorite names for a little girl are Adile (pronounced ah-dee-leh) and Adalet (pronounced ah-dah-let), which could be shortened to Ada.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
For me:
Girls-Charlotte, Grace, Chloe,
Boys-Jack, Sebastian, Darragh,

Steel

Ideal_Rock
You ladies are brave. I would hate to have my ''perfect'' baby name swiped by another. Remember Sex & the City when a friend stole Charlottes perfect baby name!

32.gif

(My lips are sealed
9.gif
)

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Ah, but if you get it out there early and tell everyone then people IRL can steal if they want, but you had it first! My FSIL was fuming that I picked Daisy as they wanted to use it - I just said that they could use it if they wanted, but if we had a boy this time and a girl in years to come, we would still use the name so as long as she was prepared for that I wasn''t bothered!

My youngest sister booked the name ''Violet'' years ago and so I wouldn''t have dreamt of stealing it.

Our daughter is due in 4 weeks...
23.gif
... and we are naming her:

Daisy Xanthe Pandora

Sorry guys, DH won on this in the end... originally it was just Daisy Pandora, then about 6 weeks ago DH decided we had to choose another girl''s name in case we ever had another child and we came up with Xanthe Claire. Then he decided he liked Xanthe so much we''ve had to use it this time (it''s pronounced Zan-th-ee and means ''yellow'' in Ancient Greek)

Our boy''s name was: Edward John (and we would have used Bear as a nickname as I hate Ed, Eddie, Ted etc)

We found it very easy to chose names as there were so few that we both liked and not everything sounded good with DH''s surname and we had them picked before we even started TTC. Names that I liked but got vetoed were:

Girls: Flora, Matilda (Tilly for short), Emily

Boys: Bertie, Robert, Montagu (old family name), William

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
I think we''re pretty set on naming our little guy Jackson. We''re still debating a middle name. Right now we''re thinking Paul (which is a family name) but we still need to check that we aren''t overstepping our bounds with his brother, whose name is John Paul III. If his brother has a problem, we need to think of a new middle name, and we''re stuck, because dh really wants a name with some family significance, but I really don''t like any of our other options with Jackson (Gregory, Joeseph, Anthony, Brian).

For a girl, we were debating between Madison (which I REALLY hope comes down in popularity as we both love this name but don''t want to use it if it is still soooo popular), Lucy (which we both love, but he has a young cousin named Lucy, so it might be weird), and Reilly.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/19/2009 5:42:25 AM
Author: Steel
You ladies are brave. I would hate to have my ''perfect'' baby name swiped by another. Remember Sex & the City when a friend stole Charlottes perfect baby name!

32.gif

(My lips are sealed
9.gif
)

I remember that episode! If someone did swipe my favourite name I''d still call my kid that name anyway. My granny and her sisters all called their son the same name so my dad has four cousins with the same name that he has
3.gif

Sha

Ideal_Rock
I am liking Myah and Jahnika - for girls'' names

For a boy - maybe Amari

missrachelk

Shiny_Rock
I'm going to take the plunge out of lurk-dom for this one!

DH (still so amazing to say!) and I won't be TTC until early 2011 or so according to our current plans but we're already talking names as our baby-fever is heating up big time.

My pics are a bit offbeat from what I've seen around here so I hope they go over well! Our surname is quite uncommon, from DH's polish roots - it's prone to being mispronounced, so we both want to find names that are uncommon without being too hard to pronounce or spell, and that go with our surname (begins with S and ends with -peck)

GIRL - It's so much easier for me to think of giril names for me! I want a girl so badly!)
Current top pick:
Kenly Elizabeth

Kenly - my middle name, my paternal Grandmother's maiden, we both love it's unique-ness and using a name from the family - we plan to pair it with Elizabeth to give her something more common to go with an unusual first name

other contenders:
Leah
Hannah
Ava (I'm concerned this one is becoming too common)
Meredith - Love this one! I grew up with several friends with this name, it feels so classic to me.
Elizabeth
Zora

BOY

Current top pick:
George (middle tbd) - this was my maternal Grandfather's name, My Mom would be over the moon for us to use it and we both really like it and think it's making a comeback (Hello Blen and little George Everett!)

other contenders:

Ian
Nathaniel / Nathan
Benjamin
Caleb (again I'm thinking this one is getting too common)
Zoran

Thank you so much to everyone here for being such an open, weelcoming, supportive community. I feel like I am already gaining a wealth of real life knowledge about pregnancy and parenthood from the threads here and I can't wait to have my own updates, questions and suggestions to share!

~Rachel

ChinaCat

Brilliant_Rock
Great names, fun thread. I think there are a few other threads like this one if you want to do a search. When I first thought about TTC, I went through some of them and made a really cool list based on PS''er ideas!

Mela- Your name choices make me smile!
9.gif
I needed that today.

Pandora- YAY, I LOVE that you added the Xanthe. And I am glad that you put Xanthe between the Daisy and the Pandora. One of my all time favorite names on PS!

Sabine- You sneaky girl, you have a name???? Jackson is so classic.

Sha- Love your names, very cool for a little Island boy or girl.

Baby names are WAY harder when you are actually having a baby, and I was so surprised by that. Something about the commitment and responsibility takes a tiny bit of fun out of it. So I totally advise playing the name game before you decide to have a baby.

Need some coffee, but I''ll be back later to add some of my faves.

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock
Girl Names:

Sophia Rae
Chloe Rae
Katerina Eloise

Boy Names:
Alexander Edward
Nicholai Yuriy

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
I love baby names! Our backup names for George Everett, just in case he didn''t look like a George, were:

Theodore Walker
Joseph Walker
Joseph Oliver, III
Edward Walker
Edmund Walker
Henry Walker
Felix Walker

Virginia Isobel
Mary Augusta

Walker''s a family name, but pairing it with George seemed too much like a homage to a former president.
3.gif

For boys, I also love Frederick (but it may seem too much like we''re Harry Potter fans if we name our next son that, now), Leopold, Oliver, Charles, Benedict, Adrian.

For girls, I love Beatrice, Alice, Rosemary, Miriam, and Augusta as a first name, but hubby keeps nixing them. I also love Mary Jane as a double name, but the drug reference made us cross it off the list. Hubby loves Wilhelmina. It was a lot harder for us to agree on girls names.

Clio

Brilliant_Rock
My kids are Sarah, Emily, and Thomas. I won''t post their middle names, but they''re all family surnames. Sarah and Thomas are called by their middle names, and Emily (who is named after my sister) goes by a nickname that we thought up when we were in high school.

If I had another girl, I''d pick Margaret, Elizabeth, Jane, or Anna. Probably Anna, since my grandmothers were/are Anne and Ruthann.

I might also be tempted to go with Julia, which is my name. Since my sister probably won''t have a daughter to name after me, I''d need to do it myself.
2.gif

If I had another boy, I''d probably go with Henry. I also like Robert, but my husband vetoed it. Francis, Phillips, or Charles would be other options.

I''ve never worried about someone stealing names, since in my family we all use the same names anyway. Once I counted, and there are 10 living Sarahs in my family, and that''s only out to 2nd cousins!

I can understand the impulse to come up with a name that isn''t shared by someone else, but it was important to me to name my children after people I love. My sister and my younger daughter have an incredibly close relationship, and I do think that their shared name has something to do with it.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
You ladies are brave. I would hate to have my 'perfect' baby name swiped by another. Remember Sex & the City when a friend stole Charlottes perfect baby name!

32.gif

(My lips are sealed
9.gif
)
Someone swiped my 'perfect' baby name for a girl
39.gif
I was so irked. It's been good in the long run, because my boy's name, which is absolutely NON-NEGOTIABLE and WILL be my son's name, is safe (will never utter it...) and my husband likes other girls' names better (other than the one that used to be my fave, I don't care much about girls' names). Our current fave for a girl will never leave my lips 'til (if and when) she is born.

BUT, other names I love that we won't use, are Logan and Evelyn (too popular, we like our names to fall below 150ish on the SSA list - but my boy name is an exception
2.gif
).

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
I had a lot of girl names when we were picking DD''s name. A lot of them were vetoed by DH. We ended up with Meena Cecilia for DD.

Girl names (just some that were on my list):
Acacia (Love the way it sounds, but not so much the meaning)
Bella
Bianca
Chloe
Kayla
Keaira
Kiona
Mikayla
Reia

The boy names list is much shorter because we haven''t thought about it really. These are just off my head.

Boy names:
Carter
Connor
Jase
Jet (DH likes this for a middle name)
Keith
Kyle

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
Great thread.

I love names!

Girls:

Callie
Elizabeth (Beth)
Ashlynn
Cyra (Sear-ah)
Annica (Ann-ah-kah)
Emalynn
Emma (way too popular now, though)
Bailey (way too popular)
Reagan
Rhianna
Anya (On-yah)

Boys:

Ryan
Seth Andrew
Elijah (Eli)
Caleb
Jacob
Rockwell (my hubby would never ever agree to this, but I love it!)
Camden
Chandler
Gavin

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
Fun, Fun..

GIRLS (I like a lot of girl names that sound like boy names, too...)
Corrinne
June
Neve
Eddy (E-Dee)
Drew
Silke (Silk-ah)
Aurelia
Dannie
Ryckie
Andi

BOYS
Stephen (Dad''s name)
Patrick
Nathan
Drew (haha... I really like this one
1.gif
)
Andrew (Andy for short)
Russell (FI will nix this, though ''cause it''s an ex-bf)

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
My kids now are Ava and Sam(uel)
They are both named after our grandparents. It is a Jewish tradition to only name after someone who has passed away and not living.
If I had another it it would be Ruby or Rubin after my grandfather Rubin who my grandma called Ruby.

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
We named our son James Emerson. James is DH''s deceased Uncle''s middle name and we found Emerson in a baby name book. It sounded good with our last name and so it was. Our back-up first name for a boy was Jacob. If James had been a girl her name would have been Grace Elizabeth. My great-grandmother''s (deceased) name is Grace and we both like Elizabeth.

We are planning on having another baby in the future and we like:

Henry (Hank for short)
Garrison
Grace Elizabeth
Victoria
Ava

There are sooo many girls names that I like - too many to list. I really struggle with boys names. We didn''t have a name picked out for James until like 2 weeks before he was born, and then we decided to meet the baby before we completely decided on a name. We also did not find out the sex of the baby so that put a lot of pressure on both us to have at least 1 boy and 1 girl name picked out.

E B

Ideal_Rock
We've chosen Henry for the son I'm currently gestating.
1.gif
It seems to be pretty popular here at PS- I just hope it's not as popular in the real world! Like Musey, I prefer names below the 'top 100,' but my husband likes more common names.

Other boy names we considered and will keep for baby #2:

Theodore
Edward
Oliver

I'm keeping our girl name a secret for now (though I've already probably spilled the beans here at one point!) but other favorites were Claire and Amelia. We won't be using them, though...too (recently) popular! Boo.

anniee19

Shiny_Rock
For the last few years, for a girl I''ve loved Isabelle Anne (anne''s a strong family name in both fi''s and my family). I also like Caitlin. For a boy, since my FI is a 3rd, he is set on naming a boy the same, Joseph Emmet. It''s sort of ironic because my grandpa was named Emmet Joseph, and my uncle has the same name as well. I love the name Benjamin, so if we have more than one boy that would be the top choice.

icekid

Ideal_Rock

32.gif

(My lips are sealed
9.gif
)
umm, me too- I''ve finally picked out our perfect girl name (and hubby agrees) and I am keeping it quiet! Still, I kind of doubt it will ever be popular in the States even if I did ''fess up here
3.gif
(I believe that naming our future children is how I keep the baby fever under control...)

boy names are more difficult for me though..

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
I find names, and the trends that accompany them, really interesting. I love all the old fashioned names that are back in vogue now, but although they are ''old'' they are so trendy right now it prevented me from putting them high on my list. I know of dozens of Jack''s, Jacob''s, Emma''s, Isabella''s, Grace, Ava''s and Chloe''s and although classic and very lovely, i don''t like the idea of my kid sharing that name with 3 others in their class. However, choosing a fresher name now, your kid may just be the first wave in a surge of popularity for your unique name. It''s just impossible to predict. I remember my cousin named her son Aidan *before* sex in the city introduced that character. She was some pissed when that name jumped hundreds of spots the next year....

This was our list...
For girls:

Mira (meer-ah)
Lucia ( Luci for for short)
Claire (good friend just took it so it is off our list now--i am okay with that cuz it''s getting really popular)
Katrine (my grandmas name: Kat or Kate for short)

For boys

We choose Cohen for a number of reasons (one was originality, however becoming popular due to some TV show i think, family history, link to DH''s fave poet/songwriter)

If we have another boy:
Emmett

Nicknames were always a problem when coming up with name. I love to shorten names. Our original baby boy name was Colin --but i didn''t like "call" as a NN. We call our son Coe for short and i *think* it is cute. I love SO many names, but the nicknames, no so much.
40.gif

White Orchid

Shiny_Rock
Girls: Eva, Lydia, Jane, Anna, Elizabeth (can you tell I''m a Jan Austen fan?)

Boys: Michael (I know, I''m in trouble if I have more than one boy!)

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/19/2009 8:18:29 PM
Author: Jas12
I find names, and the trends that accompany them, really interesting. I love all the old fashioned names that are back in vogue now, but although they are ''old'' they are so trendy right now it prevented me from putting them high on my list. I know of dozens of Jack''s, Jacob''s, Emma''s, Isabella''s, Grace, Ava''s and Chloe''s and although classic and very lovely, i don''t like the idea of my kid sharing that name with 3 others in their class. However, choosing a fresher name now, your kid may just be the first wave in a surge of popularity for your unique name. It''s just impossible to predict. I remember my cousin named her son Aidan *before* sex in the city introduced that character. She was some pissed when that name jumped hundreds of spots the next year....

This was our list...

For girls:

Mira (meer-ah)

Lucia ( Luci for for short)

Claire (good friend just took it so it is off our list now--i am okay with that cuz it''s getting really popular)

Katrine (my grandmas name: Kat or Kate for short)

For boys

We choose Cohen for a number of reasons (one was originality, however becoming popular due to some TV show i think, family history, link to DH''s fave poet/songwriter)

If we have another boy:

Emmett

Nicknames were always a problem when coming up with name. I love to shorten names. Our original baby boy name was Colin --but i didn''t like ''call'' as a NN. We call our son Coe for short and i *think* it is cute. I love SO many names, but the nicknames, no so much.
40.gif

I chose Ava before it was popular, and then a year later Reese Witherspoon used it, and then everyone used it. I still love the name, and she is the only Ava in her grade, but there are a few younger, and I am sure even more littler ones. If I had known it was going to be so popular, I probably wouldn''t have used it
7.gif
Oh well.

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/19/2009 3:19:24 PM
Author: PilsnPinkysMom
Fun, Fun..

BOYS

Stephen (Dad's name)

Patrick

Nathan

1.gif
)

Andrew (Andy for short)

Russell (FI will nix this, though 'cause it's an ex-bf)

FI's name is Andrew and he hates being called Andy. Everyone calls him Drew, so much so that acquaintances are surprised when they find out his full name.

Some of our favourites are:

Girl Names
Ava (our monogram)
Scarlett
Rae (family name)
Isobel (family name)
Noah

Boy Names
Sebastian (family name)
Lucas (family name)
Nathan
Noah

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
iluv--Ava is a beautiful name so it''s no wonder it is popular. I think if you love it then it doesn''t matter--as said, there is no way to predict trends so unless you actually make up a name it''s pretty hard to ensure originality. I am a teacher so i am a little more sensitive to the trends. I have 3 Brittany''s in my class right now!! And 2 Tylers.... popular names in the early 90''s.

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/19/2009 9:00:34 AM
Author: Sha
I am liking Myah and Jahnika - for girls'' names

For a boy - maybe Amari
Sha - Gorgeous names!!!!!!!!!! All of them
9.gif

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/19/2009 3:19:24 PM
Author: PilsnPinkysMom
Fun, Fun..

GIRLS (I like a lot of girl names that sound like boy names, too...)
Corrinne
June
Neve
Eddy (E-Dee)
Drew
Silke (Silk-ah)
Aurelia
Dannie
Ryckie
Andi

BOYS
Stephen (Dad's name)
Patrick
Nathan
1.gif
)
Andrew (Andy for short)
Russell (FI will nix this, though 'cause it's an ex-bf)
Ooooh. Aurelia. Meee likey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm curious. You also have "Neve" on your list (I do too). How do you pronounce it in your head?
Nee-ve? (Like the Galic name, Niamph)
Neh-v?
Neh-veh?

ETA: There are SO many great names in this thread. In true PS fashion, GREAT TASTE GIRLS
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results