shape
carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
The Ears of Wheat tiara that belonged to Maria Fyodorovna, wife of Paul I Petrovich.

earsofwheat.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
and this one said nothing...i''ll go have a look in a bit.

fetch2025.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
remember this little beauty?

ghgigigi.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
all the info with this one was ''Most of the imperial jewels were taken by the Chang Kai Sheck government to Taiwan following their loss of the revolutionary war, where they are on display in a museum. This headdress is one of the rare exceptions. ''

2266589352_a12ccc9725.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
Imperial Russia''s nuptual

2335014952_d90a64c36d_m.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
Crown Jewels and the Ecclesiastical Treasure Chamber - Vienna

2374198124_66a9e07387_m.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
Crown Jewels Collections
July 28, 2008 – 9:52 am

Surprisingly, several notable collections of former regal trappings have survived. Certain collections are still very much in use. Others, just as glorious, are not. The Crown Jewels of Imperial Russia, for example, housed in the Armory Museum of the Kremlin in Moscow, are a dazzling, rare, and valuable array. Making liberal use of diamonds, rubies, sapphires, and emeralds with precious gold and platinum, the Russian czars commissioned rich crowns, scepters, bracelets, diadems, buckles, earrings, and even entire bouquets of gems. It is true that in the hard period after the revolution, when Russia’s economy was in ruin, quantities of art treasures, including valuable jewelry, fled abroad in exchange for goods and currency. There was even an auction of some of Russia’s state jewels at Christie’s Auction House in London in 1927. Nevertheless, many of the most important pieces were foresightedly kept intact in Russia. Peter the Great had unwittingly made preparations for this when, at the beginning of the eighteenth century, he ruled that all czarist treasures were state property. They were thus assembled in the capital at St. Petersburg. In World War I the gems were moved to the Kremlin for safety.

There they were fortunate to survive both the war and the revolution which followed. Perhaps the three best-known pieces in the Russian collection are the Grand Imperial Crown of Catherine the Great, the Imperial Scepter, and the Imperial Globe. Catherine’s crown is heavily encrusted, by official Russian count, with 4936 diamonds weighing 2858 carats. Impressive as it is, the crown must be very uncomfortable to wear as compared with some of the older, sable-trimmed, Russian crowns. The Monomakh Cap, a Byzantine creation of the fourteenth century which was worn by Ivan IV at his coronation in 1547 and is now in the Kremlin Museum, is typical of these others. This doesn’t suggest that the earlier crowns were less splendidly sprinkled with gems. The sable-trimmed Cap of Michael Feodorovitch (1613-1645), with a large topaz sitting astride a heavily jeweled arch, a large, pierced, octagonal sapphire, numerous smaller sapphires, several spinels, and a rather good Colombian emerald, certainly seems sumptuous enough. Catherine’s crown is an attractive and tasteful but very ostentatious display of wealth. Some of the largest of the 4936 diamonds in it make up an arching band which rises from the circlet—front to back—and supports a huge, 398.7-carat ruby spinel at the top. The diamond-trimmed spinel in turn supports a small cross formed with four diamonds. The crown was made for the coronation of Catherine II in 1762.

Catherine, a German princess, had married Czar Peter of Russia, and at the first opportune moment had herself declared empress. Through the political skill and support of her favorite, Prince Grigori Orlov, and his brothers she was able to hold the throne. For various reasons Prince Grigori fell from favor. In an attempt to recoup his position and fortunes he gave Catherine a magnificent 199.8-carat diamond which he had acquired with this investment in mind. The gem, one of the great diamonds of the world, had supposedly been pried from one eye of an idol of Sri-Ranga in southern India. One wonders what may have become of the second eye. From hand to hand, at ever increasing cost, the gem eventually made its way to Europe and to the Russian court.

The gift did not have the desired effect for Prince Orlov, but Catherine promptly ordered the extraordinary diamond to be set in the Imperial Scepter. Shaped like a half egg, the Chinese-rose-cut stone dominates the 20-inch gold and silver scepter, which is topped by a bejeweled metal-and-enamel double eagle design symbolizing Imperial Russia. It is interesting that the largest and most important of the Russian Crown diamonds is mounted in the scepter, like the greatest of the English Crown diamonds. Undoubtedly, it is a matter of practicality. They are both too big to fit anywhere else. The overwhelming Orlov Diamond is one of three which are of greatest importance in the Russian collection.

impgggerial.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
Russian Imperial Crown Jewels Cloak Clasp 8 inches across. Worn by the Tsar on the Imperial Ma

2911912850031751182PyiDKH_ph.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
Imperial Iranian Crown Jewels Tiara of Princess Ashraf
huminah! my goodness, rubies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2926334930031751182WRnVic_ph.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
Coronation Crown of the Empress Farah, Imperial Iranian Crown Jewels
i put this up a long time ago, but this is a different view...

2243259720031751182stlARZ_ph.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
One of the most historically important jewels to surface in the market in recent years will be up for auction at Sotheby''s Geneva on November 17, 2005. It is a diamond necklace from the collection of the ill fated Russian Imperial family and it will be the star attraction of the Magnificent Jewels sale in Geneva, where it is expected to fetch between CHF1,500,000 -2,500,000 ($ 1,176,000-1,960,000).

This magnificent diamind neckalce with detachable bow clasp (above & below left) is a rare surviur uj 10 century nussiun imperial and is the highlight of the sale.

russialllln1.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
Russian Imperial Crown Jewels Pearl and Diamond Tiara

2957325710031751182ilhCrj_ph.jpg

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2009 9:14:21 PM
Author: Sithathoriunet
Date: 4/13/2009 9:04:19 PM
Author: musey
Date: 4/13/2009 6:26:07 AM
Author: Imdanny
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2712996200031751182qTaaBh

French Crown Jewels the Empress Eugenie Brooch with the Mazarine Diamonds
fear not, got em already....
but thankyou
Yes I did realize, hence my post to that affect. We were in process at the same time - you were posting as I was processing the photos. Don't worry, I'm outta the rj club. Bye!

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
another view of the russian imperial crown...yum yum yum

2016248340031751182btCIdT_ph.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
French Crown of Empress Eugenie French Crown Jewels

2869951290031751182fhvvJr_ph.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
and ly last for this evening...a treat for our eyes!

Ottoman Crown Jewels Emeralds Diamonds Rubies and gold

2232365370031751182evZnqu_ph.jpg

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2009 9:45:59 PM
Date: 4/13/2009 9:14:21 PM

Date: 4/13/2009 9:04:19 PM

Date: 4/13/2009 6:26:07 AM

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2712996200031751182qTaaBh

French Crown Jewels the Empress Eugenie Brooch with the Mazarine Diamonds

fear not, got em already....

but thankyou

Yes I did realize, hence my post to that affect. We were in process at the same time - you were posting as I was processing the photos. Don''t worry, I''m outta the rj club. Bye!
What an odd thing to say. Did I not thank you for helping me? Was I not polite to you? This isn''t a club! Everyone is welcome to post here. It doesn''t even belong to us. It belongs to pricescope. Are there cliques at pricescope? If there are, there shouldn''t be.
38.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Imdanny, my post was very obviously not directed at you
1.gif
I was just pointing out that I'd already acknowledged the double posting (to Sithathoriunet), and that her addressing of it was unnecessary.

My allusion to a 'club' was nothing more than acknowledgment that I'd noticed there are a few posters that post here and nowhere else. It's the equivalent of referring to TTC or Preggo PSers or WWT as a 'club.' You need not take posts so personally!

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/13/2009 10:33:07 PM
1.gif
I was just pointing out that I''d already acknowledged the double posting (to Sithathoriunet), and that her addressing of it was unnecessary.

My allusion to a ''club'' was nothing more than acknowledgment that I''d noticed there are a few posters that post here and nowhere else. It''s the equivalent of referring to TTC or Preggo PSers or WWT as a ''club.'' You need not take posts so personally!
careful here now, when you use the words, "my post was very obviously not directed at you" you are being condescending. when you speak to someone and use the word ''obviously'' with direct condentation meaning "you should know"..it is a bit unpolite to that person and can be taken to be talking down to someone. that was not nice.and also, you were a bit rude when saying to my post that it was unnecessary...just watch your wordings, as you easily offended 2 people with only one post.
people do take words personally, weather it be spoken or written, and it can easily put someone on the defensive, so be careful, this is a public forum, and so as i have pointed out before, many people are watching, and you do not know who may be watching or taking offense.
it did seem to me as well you meant a jab. and so, it was the wording you just used, it''s all in how you said it. and scolding imdanny for mistaking your comments was not appropriate..someone took offense...that needs to indicate to you that you may have worded something offensively with or without knowing it.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Jenna, a quick OT post (thank you for your indulgence everyone; I promise I will post more pictures tonight!). If you could have one ring and it could be gold or platinum, which one would you choose and why? Briefly could you give me your viewpoint on this question? I've noticed that you've posted pictures of a lot of fine gold pieces in this thread (including some reproductions of royal jewelry that you own) and so I'd like to know your thoughts on this. Thanks!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Eleanor of Aquitaine marrying Louis VII in 1137 (left scene) and Louis VII departing on the Second Crusade (1147), drawing from Les Chroniques de Saint-Denis, late 14th century.

102253-004-CED523A8.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/13/2009 11:04:07 PM
Jenna, a quick OT post (thank you for your indulgence everyone; I promise I will post more pictures tonight!). If you could have one ring and it could be gold or platinum, which one would you choose and why? Briefly could you give me your viewpoint on this question? I''ve noticed that you''ve posted pictures of a lot of fine gold pieces in this thread (including some reproductions of royal jewelry that you own) and so I''d like to know your thoughts on this. Thanks!
hey!
well, i have had platinum before. a ruby, and i sold it. i will always choose gold over platinum. over the centuries different metal types have become more or less popular and so, their prices have followed suit. for instance, back in ancient egypt, for a time silver was far more expensive and rare then gold...and so everyone wanted it..it was the premium. nowadays everyone seems to believe that platinum, because it is rare and more expensive should be the height to strive for, but i''ll tell you, i''ve been there done that, and i always am attracted to yellow gold...because of it''s use in historical peices, ancient piece i mean...and so i will go for the gold every time so to speak...and for gemstones, depending on which of course, i favor white gold...so for sapphire, white, for emerald yellow...you know? what about yourself?
here''s a little pic of what i like....yummy, a new sapphire ring i just had made, then i set myself with the ceylon sapphire, and my gold watch...one of them...this one tends to be my fav...reminds me of lovely diana''s..and i wear this set alot, as my tribute to her, her memory and her amazing light for us all.
jenna

P1010119cgvcvc.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
oooops, came out kind of big...i''ve got to get my photodraw back up to fix sizings again...sorry about that!
the sapphire in the pic is 7 karats...lovely gem...

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2009 10:51:38 PM
1.gif
I was just pointing out that I''d already acknowledged the double posting (to Sithathoriunet), and that her addressing of it was unnecessary.

My allusion to a ''club'' was nothing more than acknowledgment that I''d noticed there are a few posters that post here and nowhere else. It''s the equivalent of referring to TTC or Preggo PSers or WWT as a ''club.'' You need not take posts so personally!
careful here now, when you use the words, ''my post was very obviously not directed at you'' you are being condescending. when you speak to someone and use the word ''obviously'' with direct condentation meaning ''you should know''..it is a bit unpolite to that person and can be taken to be talking down to someone. that was not nice.and also, you were a bit rude when saying to my post that it was unnecessary...just watch your wordings, as you easily offended 2 people with only one post.
people do take words personally, weather it be spoken or written, and it can easily put someone on the defensive, so be careful, this is a public forum, and so as i have pointed out before, many people are watching, and you do not know who may be watching or taking offense.
it did seem to me as well you meant a jab. and so, it was the wording you just used, it''s all in how you said it. and scolding imdanny for mistaking your comments was not appropriate..someone took offense...that needs to indicate to you that you may have worded something offensively with or without knowing it.
If you spent time in the rest of the forum, you''d have a better understanding of the tone of musey''s post. I see nothing wrong or offensive about her post.

Your post is actually the epitome of condescension. Musey has been around PS for long enough, and posted enough things that she certainly knows all about internet decorum.

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/14/2009 12:08:37 PM
Author: FrekeChild
Date: 4/13/2009 10:51:38 PM

1.gif

careful here now, when you use the words, ''my post was very obviously not directed at you'' you are being condescending. when you speak to someone and use the word ''obviously'' with direct condentation meaning ''you should know''..it is a bit unpolite to that person and can be taken to be talking down to someone. that was not nice.and also, you were a bit rude when saying to my post that it was unnecessary...just watch your wordings, as you easily offended 2 people with only one post.

If you spent time in the rest of the forum, you''d have a better understanding of the tone of musey''s post. I see nothing wrong or offensive about her post.

Your post is actually the epitome of condescension. Musey has been around PS for long enough, and posted enough things that she certainly knows all about internet decorum.
wrongo frekechild,
and keeping out of something that ''obviously'' had nothing at all to do with you in the first place might be advisable here. what you just said was the "epitome of condescension"
and might i suggest you back off. i don''t care how long you or anyone else has "been around" the forum. and i DO NOT take lightly to attitude. i don''t allow people such as you or anyone else to cop it with nor at me. so kindly say nothing at all if you have nothing nice nor pertinent to say.
i will stick up for myself, i will fight for my friends and i will speak up when provoked. you fill in the blanks.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
23.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Um... wow.

No ''cliques'' on PS, eh, Imdanny?

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/14/2009 3:11:07 PM
Um... wow.

No ''cliques'' on PS, eh, Imdanny?
????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Please be reminded that no one "owns" the Royal Jewel Thread, except Pricescope itself. It is here for all members to enjoy and post pictures of lovely Royal jewels.

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/14/2009 3:30:21 PM
Author: Linda W
Please be reminded that no one ''owns'' the Royal Jewel Thread, except Pricescope itself. It is here for all members to enjoy and post pictures of lovely Royal jewels.
Amen.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results