shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for feedback on idea!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ChasIV

Rough_Rock
Hi forum!

Ahhh, this dragged on and on. Sorry for the length!

I''m trying to piece together some ideas of a proposal that I really hope is romantic without being cheesy (as I think every guy hopes for!) For a bit of background, my girlfriend and I have been dating for 5 years, and we''re currently in two different cities - I''m finishing up my Master''s degree and she''s finishing her clinical year in a hospital. We see each other every 2-3 weekends, and since she knows that an engagement is coming (within a 2-3 month window), she looks at each of our visits now as "is this THE weekend?"

Because she''s so "on-watch" for something, this has led me to want a surprise, yet intimate proposal. I think to try to do something big and public would only run bigger risk of being blown surprise-wise. Plus, that would be a bit out of my style anyways!

In order to surprise her, I''ve cancelled all my Friday school commitments (okay, yes, skipping one class as well) to get up to HER place on a weekend she was supposed to come to mine. I should be able to arrive early enough to have a dinner cooked by the time she gets home, but before we eat, we''ll get to the most important part. The surprise will be great, but if I don''t propose right away, she''d KNOW it was coming later that night!

In the first year of our dating, she made for me a tissue sized box for collecting memories of our relationship, and included painted letters on the front "Eric''s Memories". The box is 5 years full now, overstuffed, and full of truly great memories. My idea is to empty this chapter of our lives (the dating years) and create a scrapbook full of everything inside. Then I want to take off the letters of my name on the front and replace with "Our Memories", creating a new box for our first years together. The waiting engagement ring will be the first item inside.

As added symbolism (or cheese factor), I found this great little book-shaped box, perfect for the ring (although I would be disappointed to not use the GOG light box). I would then have a scrapbook to close for the previous phase of our lives and and a little book to open for the new phase.

Of course there''s the right words to rehearse, the champagne to have on hand, and decorating of her apartment, but what do you think of the basic idea?

One last note - in sorting through this box I found the most PERFECT fortune cookie slips regarding this occasion. Who knows why I saved them, but they''re going to be great to incorporate...

1) Accept the next proposition you hear
2) Happiness often sneaks in through doors you didn''t know you left open

Thanks in advance for reading this and any suggestions you have!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
That sounds sweet & clever & way more intimate & creative than the usual roses-on-the-bed cliche.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Very sweet & appropriate idea!

My only caveat. Make sure she isn't driving to you early to surprise *you*. Believe me, it's happened. Can you enlist the aide of a trusted friend regarding her whereabouts?

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results