shape
carat
color
clarity

Can engagement ring & wedding ring be same ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MPdesign

Rough_Rock
Must engagement ring & wedding ring be different?

I have a great engagement ring that I want to get for someone; but, buying a wedding band also (that is not as nice as the engagement ring) seems kinda crazy. I would think she would want the nicer ring...

To make things worse, I am looking at a platinum tesion ring. These do not resize very well because the ring is specially made that size & heat "tensioned" to hold the diamond in.
What are your opinions?
lickout.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
I think that should be the woman's decision not yours. Traditionally an engagement ring symbolizes the desire to get married. A wedding ring symbolizes the bond of marriage. Some women I know now choose to use the e-ring as the wedding ring, but most still opt for both. Personally, they have very different meanings for me, and I wouldn't give up either.

Also, you shouldn't be responsible for buying the wedding ring, so if it's a financial issue it shouldn't be as much of a factor.

And I'm sorry, but how does the tension ring come into the e-ring and w-ring decision?

Adrienne

Shiny_Rock
If you are going with a tension ring then I think you should go without a "wedding band" for the left hand, maybe put the wedding band on the right hand instead.

The amazing feature of a true tension ring is the idea that somehow the diamond is safely suspended without having the metal connecting the two sides of the ring. If you have a wedding band it could detract from the appearance of the "hole" where the diamond is.

My engagement ring is actually a diamond band, which I will be wearing on my right hand after I get my tension ring for my left hand.

Meraj

Rough_Rock
Before you make any decision, you should talk it over with her. Some women like to be surprised. Most women have special settings that they have in mind that they would like to have. She may not want a tension setting. She may want a wedding band also. Communication is the key to happiness & success. Don't make a mistake.

song

Rough_Rock
No, there are no hard and fast rules about the type of ring you should use as a wedding band. Lately I've noticed a lot of women getting married using their e-rings as w/bands. One woman was given a chunky, magnificent 2 carat rock set in plat, with surrounding diamonds. Gorgeous ring, fantastic rock. She didn't want any other ring to displace it's rightful place on her left finger, so she used it as her wedding band. The ring was was too wide to wear another ring beside it and she didn't want the look of the e-ring on one hand and the band on the other. Many women are opting for the look of one ring that represents both the engagement and the wedding. If I weren't such a traditionalist I might be tempted to do the same thing.

As far as tension rings go, if you are certain that during the span of her lifetime, your future wife will never gain an ounce, then go for it. I think they are gorgeous and wish I could wear one, but I know from past experience, 26 years of marriage and two children, my band has been sized 3 times *l*.

In either case, your lady is one lucky gal because not all men put the thought you have into buying such a precious gift. Good luck and keep us updated! ~song

MPdesign

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your input.

I think I will purchase the tension for the e-ring AND wedding ring, give it to her, and then ask her if she really wants a seperate wedding band. I don't think she will really care - but I will ask (and get her one if she wishes)!!!!!!

Now - what do you fine people think of these? These are my final candidates - all 1 carat diamond - all in white gold.
1,2,3,4,5, or 6?

Thank You,
Jody
2.gif

all.jpg

winyan

Brilliant_Rock
Personally, I prefer #4. It's a bit thinner than the average tension set band, and is probably more comfortable.

I speak from experience having a G & A tension set in wg. It's a pretty bi-pass style, and it's my wear with everything, nothing can hurt it ring, but it does occasionally 'make itself known' to my finger.

If your future bride is an athlete or if she even works out at a gym get her one of those wristy things with a pocket and velcro that goes around her wrist. Otherwise the band hurts as you lift.

win

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 8/19/2003 5
6.gif
1:50 PM Hest88 wrote:

I think that should be the woman's decision not yours. ----------------

Hi! I don't know wether the question is OK, but, leaving diamonds aside, I would love to know what is the green stone posted as your ID icon? It looks like a cushion cut peridot to me... in which case the color is simply out of this world! Where on Earth can one get such things noadays?

Looking forward to hearing from you,

rolleyes.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
----------------
I would love to know what is the green stone posted as your ID icon?
----------------

It's a demantoid--part of the garnet family. It's pretty much the first thing I'd buy if I win the lottery!

NewYorker

Shiny_Rock
Voting for #4 and second choice #3. (Tension rings aren't my taste though).

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I like design one because it's simple.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know people who just wear one ring for their wed/e-ring...sometimes they are upgrades, sometimes not. I think some of it depends on the 'presence' of the ring itself, if the e-ring/upgrade really carries a strong presence then it is going to be easier to carry it off as both. If it's thin or not powerful, maybe not from a perception standpoint. However, there's no RULE that says you have to have 2 rings! I would get a thicker e-ring and have it function as both, if she approves that is..some women like both. I can't wait til I get my wedding ring, I think it will enhance the e-ring itself, since it is a matching band. Plus in my mind I really love seeing two rings together, one symbolizing the promise and the 2nd the action.

1.gif
Good luck!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 9/4/2003 10:31:36 AM Hest88 wrote:

----------------
I would love to know what is the green stone posted as your ID icon?
----------------

It's a demantoid--part of the garnet family. It's pretty much the first thing I'd buy if I win the lottery!
----------------

Glad to hear that someone likes these 'ural diamonds' too. They really do have more fire than diamonds! The good news is that demantoids are comming again from Russia and I have seen rather inexpensive ones (at least around 1 ct) so, maybe you don't need the lottery! The one in your pic does look MAGNIFFICENT!

Thanks for the reply!
21.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 8/20/2003 9:00:47 AM MPdesign wrote:
Now - what do you fine people think of these? These are my final candidates - all 1 carat diamond - all in white gold.
1,2,3,4,5, or 6?
----------------

Hm... they are all very nice. I guess the cros-over style does not invite a wedding band anywhere near. Number 4 does (is thin) and No1 and No3 could take wedding bands, but they are quite a bit too wide for it. My choice? 1, in yellow gold.
2.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 9/18/2003 2:51:50 PM valeria101 wrote:

The good news is that demantoids are comming again from Russia and I have seen rather inexpensive ones (at least around 1 ct) so, maybe you don't need the lottery!

----------------

Yes, I know. Problem is, I'm holding out for a demantoid with a textbook quality horsetail that's also large enough for that inclusion to be eye-visible. Sigh!

lenore80

Rough_Rock
I went to zales recently and the lady showed us rings that double as a wedding band/e-ring!

Kristina

Rough_Rock
They have rings called Unity rings.. They are designed just for that.. Both the Engagement and Wedding ring. Some women just do not like to wear 2 rings.. So the Unity ring gives you the illusion that you are wearing both of them

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that if you do decide to get one ring, you should get something fairly substantial.
If I was just getting one ring, I would definitely get this one:

http://www.diamondtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?jpi=273536

Fancy

Shiny_Rock
Kayla, I checked out that link, I lOVE that ring! I would also get that kind of ring if I were getting just one!

indigo

Rough_Rock
Do you have reason to believe she wants a tension ring? I personally wouldn't want one. Does she tend to like more antique or modern jewelry?
I'm an antique girl myself, and I like number 4. It would also look nice with a wedding band. Number 5 is my favorite modern-looking ring.
As an alternative that can be sized, there are also rings where the band isn't all that obvious behind the center stone. I like this one. It also has lots of little prongs to hang onto that diamond
21.gif

21853461.jpg

Lanee

Brilliant_Rock
Indigo, Where did you find this ring, it is lovely.

indigo

Rough_Rock
I've been searching the web for ring ideas. That particular ring is on www.thejewelerstudio.com

Style : R9616-0
Description : Round.30CT Without Center
Metal : 14K White Gold
Suggested : $1,128.00
Your Price: $576.00

I don't know anything about that company so I'd probably have it copied in platinum if that's what I wanted. It is a nice design though.

lesliez

Rough_Rock
I fell in love with the look of a trillion as a solitaire, however i don't like rings with high profiles which is why I liked the tension settings. however they were out of my sweeties budget, so he had a ring made that has a very small bridge under the stone. this gave the look of the tension ring that i like, he did have a custom setting made but it was still less the the tension setting. I am going to wear a very slender (2mm) wedding band that matches the profile of the e-ring. i have have a lot of people ask if it is my wedding band since it is such a bold piece.

lesliez-ring.gif

fumblechick

Rough_Rock
I adore tension settings, and I think your choices are beautiful. Personally, I like numbers 2 and 5 the best. I am biased, however, because they are very similar to what my boyfriend and I have picked out for my own engagement ring. I do not like pronged rings. I love tension settings because they are so unique, and I know I'm not going to run in to a million people with rings similar to mine!
1.gif

The ring I have fallen in love with is here: http://www.titaniumcommitment.com/etoileA.html

It actually has a coordinating wedding band, which we also plan to use: http://www.titaniumcommitment.com/etoilebandA.html

Just my two cents
1.gif
Good luck... You have great taste, I'm sure she'll be very happy!!

~Amanda

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results