shape
carat
color
clarity

I need a title for my research paper!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok, so I just finished up my 20 page medical sociology paper.

I''m burnt out, and just realized I forgot the hardest part.

I need a clever title! Anyone clever out there?

Fill in the blank:

____________: A Comparison of the Effects of Abstinence-Only and Comprehensive Sex Education on Rates of Teen Pregnancy and STDs

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
"Papa Don't Preach: yadda yadda yadda"

(Is that too biased? Perhaps your prof isn't a big Madonna fan.
11.gif
)

ETA:

What about:

"Sex, Lies, and Purity Rings: yadda yadda yadda"

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/6/2009 9:59:26 PM
Author: Haven
''Papa Don''t Preach: yadda yadda yadda''

(Is that too biased? Perhaps your prof isn''t a big Madonna fan.
11.gif
)

ETA:

What about:

''Sex, Lies, and Purity Rings: yadda yadda yadda''

I like!

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oooh, Haven I do like that.

The one I had was "Should we Say yes to just saying no?"

I was hoping someone could come up with something better. I think I like yours better than mine!

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Is it expected that you have a clever title? I feel less trusting of the objectivity of what I'm reading if the title is cutesy rather than straightforward. I'm always trying to break my students of the cutesy habit in formal writing unless the reference just begs to be used.

P.S. I like your suggested primary title. It doesn't indicate which side your findings support.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/6/2009 10:12:40 PM
Author: phoenixgirl
Is it expected that you have a clever title? I feel less trusting of the objectivity of what I''m reading if the title is cutesy rather than straightforward. I''m always trying to break my students of the cutesy habit in formal writing unless the reference just begs to be used.

P.S. I like your suggested primary title. It doesn''t indicate which side your findings support.

Yeah, it is supposed to be objective, so I don''t want to make my opinion obvious from the get-go.

It doesn''t have to be cutesy, of course. I just think something cutesy is catchier, yanno?

Glad you like my original title, I might have to stick with it to remain objective.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know nothing of sociology profs, but all of my English profs at both the undergrad and grad levels preferred clever titles, but that was for lit crits, which are research-based but driven by the author''s original assertions. Cutesy, no. Clever, yes. (I''m not saying my suggestions are either, by the way.)

My guess is a sociology paper is totally different, especially if you aren''t using your research to further an assertion of your own. Good point, Phoenix. (What do you teach, by the way?)

Scorpioanne

Shiny_Rock
As a university instructor a catchy title will really give you points with me as I really appreciate them (not necessarily literally). Since I have 30 major papers to mark and it is late I am not in a brain space to suggest one but I do like "Papa don''t preach". How about "From the Cabbage Patch to Contraceeptives/Condoms"? BTW, one of the classes I teach is "Social Work Practice and Human Sexuality".

Rock_of_Love

Brilliant_Rock
style="WIDTH: 99%; HEIGHT: 58px">Date: 4/6/2009 9:59:26 PM
Author: Haven
''Papa Don''t Preach: yadda yadda yadda''
Oooohh...I like! You could add something like "Papa Don''t Preach...or Do?: yadda yadda"

I love pop culture references in titles. The one you thought of sounds like one of Carrie''s columns in "Sex in the City."

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/6/2009 9:40:48 PM
Author:elledizzy5

Fill in the blank:

____________: A Comparison of the Effects of Abstinence-Only and Comprehensive Sex Education on Rates of Teen Pregnancy and STDs
Foursome !!
16.gif

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/7/2009 12:13:49 PM
Author: Dancing Fire

Fill in the blank:

Foursome !!
16.gif
You just HAD to go there didn''t you?
20.gif

Silly, silly DF...

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/7/2009 12:16:03 PM
Author: Bia
Date: 4/7/2009 12:13:49 PM

Author: Dancing Fire

Fill in the blank:

Foursome !!
16.gif
You just HAD to go there didn''t you?
20.gif

Silly, silly DF...

LOL, there''s that fallout I was talkin about.
2.gif

tlh

Ideal_Rock
Just the tip.

katamari

Ideal_Rock
What about:

Just Say No versus Just the Facts: A Comparison of the Effects of Abstinence-Only and Comprehensive Sex Education on Rates of Teen Pregnancy and STDs

or

Truth or Consequences: A Comparison of the Effects of Abstinence-Only and Comprehensive Sex Education on Rates of Teen Pregnancy and STDs

laine

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/7/2009 2:03:12 PM
Author: tlh
Just the tip.

Hahahaha. I very nearly spit my soda all over the monitor.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/7/2009 11:55:02 PM
Author: katamari
What about:

Just Say No versus Just the Facts: A Comparison of the Effects of Abstinence-Only and Comprehensive Sex Education on Rates of Teen Pregnancy and STDs

or

Truth or Consequences: A Comparison of the Effects of Abstinence-Only and Comprehensive Sex Education on Rates of Teen Pregnancy and STDs
Those are clever!

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
What about:

or

Oh, Katamari those are good!

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Love the ideas you have here.

My biggest "title" tip to my comp students - if it''s a play on a famous Shakespeare quote, don''t use it in your title. I want to hurl every time I see a To Be or Not to Be? title.

Erin

Ideal_Rock
Carnality and Chastity

katamari

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/8/2009 8:26:32 AM
Author: elledizzy5

What about:

or

Oh, Katamari those are good!

Thanks, Elle! I am a soc. PhD student, so I have had lots of practice naming soc. papers.
2.gif
Congrats on finishing your paper, by the way. This means you are one step closer to graduating, right?
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results