color
clarity

The Cupcake Thread!

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/31/2009 4:08:41 PM
Author: HollyS
This morning, my boss (she's also my BF) gave me a wee little cupcake from the sampler that she ordered from Crumbs Bake Shop in NYC. She ordered yesterday, they were delivered this morning, frozen, and I hate to tell you what she paid for that!! OMG, they had better be good, right?

This was possibly the most scrumptious thing I ever put in my mouth: I give you The Grasshopper!
Holly,

That cupcake looks just perfect! I love the two different types of frosting on one cupcake!! Must go to NYC soon! (We're 2 hours away by train, and we never go!!
41.gif
)

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Mara, love the pics you posted. Did you cut out those butterflies and then use a stamp on them or do you have one thing that cuts and stamps? They are really pretty! I like the letters too. I know what you mean about the money not really equaling the time. Decorating does take a long time, especially when you''re trying something new or doing something other than your basic swirl. Since I haven''t been doing this very long, almost everything I try is new so almost *everything* takes me awhile.
19.gif
But I do really enjoy it and wonder what I''d do if I was working full-time. On days I do work, I am so tired if I have to come home and bake or get up early and do the decorating. How do you do it?

Thanks Skippy and Marcy! Skippy, those cupcakes look tasty! Marcy, have you done any more decorating/baking since the class is over?

Msb, I never would''ve thought of substituting eggs for soy milk and apple cider. Wow, so creative! If you get a chance, I''d love to see the recipe.

Holly, the Grasshopper looks goooood! I am going to have to give that a try!!

Haven, I have never substituted whole milk for buttermilk, but I have done the other way around when I don''t have buttermilk. Of course now, I''ve given up buying a quart of buttermilk when I only need 1/4 cup so I just make it. Did you decide to substitute?
Cute cupcake pics! Cupcakes are fun to make no matter how much experience you have!! As for what to do with the extras, I always make a conscious decision of who to give them to so that I don''t end up having them all sit in my house. That would NOT be good.
38.gif

Equ, carrot cake sounds good! It is a favorite where I am! If the recipe doesn''t call for nuts, I usually add walnuts which turns out great.

So I was curious about the how do you say fondant question asked earlier. How does everyone else say it?

Loves Vintage, that cupcakes looks fantastic! Oh wow, now I really want to do a cream or pudding filled one. Yum!

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s some Spring/Easter cupcakes:

grnflowersml.JPG

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Pretty pastels

chocvanillacolorssml.JPG

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Finally figured out how to make chocolate designs.

pinksml.JPG

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
This was fun to make, trying not to eat the orange candies was not so fun. Eventually, I gave in!

orangeflowersml.JPG

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Mix for an order I did earlier.

mix3sml.JPG

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/2/2009 9:06:39 AM
Author: marcyc
Haven your cupcakes look great and very edible.

Pennquaker, do you put the flower nail in upside down then pull it out when you are cooling your cake? Interesting about DH - I baked one in my regular sized oval pan and it fell.

Yes, I put the nail in upside down.

Also, I buy Magic Line pans and that really makes a difference.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dixie--Your cupcakes are GORGEOUS!
I didn''t substitute anything because all of the conversions I''d have to make (per Mara''s suggestion) just made my head spin a little bit. I just folded and bought the whole milk, which I found in a little chug for $1, so that was good.

Skippy--I WISH I hadn''t waited until spring break to make cupcakes, because school is the BEST place to bring leftover food. I''ll definitely share with my students next time, they''d devour them, no matter how ugly they are!
(I brought some to my sister at work today. I''m going to pawn the rest off on my mom''s colleagues tomorrow; teachers will eat anything, I swear!
11.gif
)

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haven, love the cupcakes! Fab job!

Penn, it's funny you posted that recipe for WASC. I always read on cake forums about how great WASC was, how everyone uses it for wedding cakes, people have to try it, etc. So finally I tried it. And it tasted like cake mix!! I had no idea that so many professional bakers use cake mixes and adapt them to try to get it to taste homemade. I tried a bunch of diff ways to adapt it and used diff cake mixes etc and still I felt like it was so obvious it was cake mix. But it was funny because I fed it to a few people and they liked it and were like 'really it's mix?' I was raised on cake mix so I think I am more sensitive to the processed taste.

But I do use SC more often in my recipes now, it gives the cakes extra moisture!

Dixie...sometimes I don't have the energy but I have to because I committed to it. But it's why I have cut back a fair amount on 'not for fun' baking... I am doing things a bit more infrequently now and I love having more time and weekends to myself again. Maybe this summer I'll do more but for now I am enjoying baking what *I* want to eat now! This wkd though I am baking for a local event where I donate cupcakes..I did it once before and it's kind of fun.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/3/2009 1:58:33 AM
Author: Mara
Haven, love the cupcakes! Fab job!

Penn, it''s funny you posted that recipe for WASC. I always read on cake forums about how great WASC was, how everyone uses it for wedding cakes, people have to try it, etc. So finally I tried it. And it tasted like cake mix!! I had no idea that so many professional bakers use cake mixes and adapt them to try to get it to taste homemade. I tried a bunch of diff ways to adapt it and used diff cake mixes etc and still I felt like it was so obvious it was cake mix. But it was funny because I fed it to a few people and they liked it and were like ''really it''s mix?'' I was raised on cake mix so I think I am more sensitive to the processed taste.

But I do use SC more often in my recipes now, it gives the cakes extra moisture!

I have to be honest, I''m not a big fan of box mix either, but if use a box mix for something, I ALWAYS add extra things to it. I pretty much always add a box of pudding to my cakes, it''s my number 1 add on. And it has to be Jello brand!

I think Duncan Hines has a "box" taste. I find that PB is the best one. But I think it''s personal.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i actually have found a few cake mixes that don''t taste as processed, but they are very far and few between. i remember on one forum people swore by using some certain cake mix and adapting for WASC and i did and i was like really??? it was super moist and fine crumb, but def tasted a bit processed.

What is PB? i think that BC and DH both have that fake cake mix.... but darnit if I don''t LOVE Me some boxed brownies over homemade EACH AND EVERY TIME.
9.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/3/2009 6:01:50 PM
i actually have found a few cake mixes that don''t taste as processed, but they are very far and few between. i remember on one forum people swore by using some certain cake mix and adapting for WASC and i did and i was like really??? it was super moist and fine crumb, but def tasted a bit processed.

What is PB? i think that BC and DH both have that fake cake mix.... but darnit if I don''t LOVE Me some boxed brownies over homemade EACH AND EVERY TIME.
9.gif
Oh my gosh, isn''t that the TRUTH. I love boxed brownies, so ooey gooey goodness.
3.gif
9.gif

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Mara, PB is Pillsbury. And I do use a box mix from PB with pudding added in and it is really good. I find that to be true that I like boxed brownies better also and so much less trouble!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oooh, I love Marie Callender''s Fudge Brownie Mix. Not that I could make brownies from scratch if I wanted to, but they are delish. And no hydrogenated oils.

lili

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/3/2009 6:38:25 PM
Author: Skippy123
Date: 4/3/2009 6:01:50 PM

9.gif
Oh my gosh, isn''t that the TRUTH. I love boxed brownies, so ooey gooey goodness.
3.gif
9.gif

yum, the best boxed brownie i had was the TJ''s brownie mix
18.gif

puffy

Brilliant_Rock
dixie your cuppies are so cute!! i just want to reach into my monitor and take a big bite!! YUMMY

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
Re: boxed brownies ... I always said the same thing, "Why bother making homemade when boxed brownies are SO good?!" -- that is, until I tried THIS recipe:

--------------------
One-bowl brownies:

4 ounces unsweetened chocolate (e.g., Baker’s chocolate)
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter
1 3/4cups sugar
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup flour

Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 13×9-inch baking pan with foil, with ends of foil extending over sides of pan. Grease foil.

Microwave chocolate and butter in large microwaveable bowl on high for 2 minutes, or until butter is melted. Stir until chocolate is completely melted. Stir in sugar. Blend in eggs and vanilla. Add flour and salt; mix well. Spread into prepared pan.

Bake 30 to 35 minute or until toothpick inserted in center comes out with fudgy crumbs. (Do not overbake.) Cool in pan on wire rack. Remove brownies from pan, using foil handles.
-----------------------

Seriously, these are TO DIE FOR!!! And super-easy. Microwave, stir, and bake. Just as easy as box mix! (These are super-fudgy, not cakey at all.)

OH, and more related to cupcakes, I made Magnolia''s raspberry cream cheese breakfast buns the other day. Heaven. Pure heaven. Don''t be fooled by the name: these are more of a cupcake than any type of breakfast item!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/4/2009 9:25:45 AM
Author: ellaila

OH, and more related to cupcakes, I made Magnolia''s raspberry cream cheese breakfast buns the other day. Heaven. Pure heaven. Don''t be fooled by the name: these are more of a cupcake than any type of breakfast item!
That sounds waaay tempting. I looove raspberry!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Those look like muffins...but sound more like black bottom cupcakes ala raspberry !!

This is what I have been meaning to try from Magnolia for almost a year now, their banana pudding....after a friend told me that Banana Pudding was all the rage in NYC last year in the bakeries. Seriously, I need to get on it!

http://www.recipelink.com/cookbooks/2005/0743246616_5.html

Mannequin

Brilliant_Rock
Skippy, thanks so much for the carrot cake recipe. I baked yesterday and frosted today. These are DELISH.

CarrotCakeCuppies (4).JPG

Mannequin

Brilliant_Rock
Peeking under the plastic wrap... bunnies!

CarrotCakeCuppies (3).JPG

Mannequin

Brilliant_Rock
Poison test... hee hee. The cream cheese frosting was yummy, but not stiff enough to pipe with for these treats. Still, they will be a big hit with my BF''s family at their Easter party today.

CarrotCakeCuppies (5).JPG

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
EQ your muffins look yummy and how fun to add bunnys.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/5/2009 2:25:06 PM
Author: equestrienne
Skippy, thanks so much for the carrot cake recipe. I baked yesterday and frosted today. These are DELISH.
droooooool... I love that carrot cake recipe. It''s fab, isn''t it??

Mannequin

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, MarcyC and icekid! I made 2 dozen of these for the party and came home with... NONE! I love making cookies and usually do those for holiday parties, but I thought the cupcakes would be a fun change.
1.gif
They were INHALED, lol.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/3/2009 8:11:24 PM
Author: Haven
Oooh, I love Marie Callender''s Fudge Brownie Mix. Not that I could make brownies from scratch if I wanted to, but they are delish. And no hydrogenated oils.
My vote goes to Ghiradelli Brownies; the ones with the chocolate pieces in the mix.

Oh my.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/5/2009 2:25:06 PM
Author: equestrienne
Oh gosh, they look delicious!!!! That recipe was on the Today show for the best carrot cake; I think I will use it to make CC for our anniversary at the end of this month. They are sooooo pretty!!

Dixie, your cupcakes are soooo pretty!

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
Okay so I made my trial "Eat Me" cupcakes. Which do you like better?

The letter "A" cutouts were very difficult so not as perfect as I had hoped. And the food marker cupcakes are in my (horrible) handwriting, so I will have someone with neater handwriting do the real ones.

So which should I do?

I also will use different frosting, I''m not liking he one I used.

miaeatmecup1.JPG

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results