shape
carat
color
clarity

Here is my new ring. Thanks to GOG! (long)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dreamer

Rough_Rock

Here I go, summarizing my experiences of buying stones and making my own ring../www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]

/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]

First of all, this is not my engagement ring. This is my 7th anniversary ring. Couple of months ago, my husband and I decided to start our (rather my) diamond research./www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]

/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]

Since we come from India, we don’t have any tradition of exchanging rings in our engagement/wedding. So, this was my sweet revenge, so to say!!/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]

Couple of years ago, Internet would have been the last place I would have looked for diamonds. I started with Diamondtalk. Started reading all the testimonials, some online tutorials. At this point I only knew that I was looking for 3 stone platinum ring and that’s all I knew../www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]

So, lurked on DT and on Pricescope. Learnt a lot from GOG tutorial. Visited some local jewelers.. By now I also decided to go for H & A stones../www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]

Then came the million dollar question, budget!! As many of you, started out with$X in mind, but ended up spending $X++++++ !! So, I don’t see how I could have saved online ../www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]

Then, my emails began going back and forth with many vendors. At this point, I should thank Jan from DBOF, she was the most prompt vendor to respond to my emails. I sent some emails to Lesly at WhiteFlash, for which I still haven’t received response. So, they disappeared very quickly from my favorite list of vendors. Another very good one was Barry from SuperbCert. He was quite quick in responses./www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]

I settled for GOG, b’cos: I heard nothing but good testimonials. I could drive and see his stones. And he seem to have so much information on his stones, everything online./www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]

So, I started short-listing stones on GOG site. Also, started looking for price comparison. Although some stones were little more expensive on GOG, I didn’t mind, b’cos he had lot of quality in his merchandise./www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]

I fixed an apptmt on a Saturday with GOG to view the stones. Only reason I didn’t visit Barry was they are not open on Saturday s. I wouldn’t take a day off to go and meet them../www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]

When we went upto Long Island to meet Jonathan, me and my DH were pleasantly surprised. He spent solid 3 hrs in explaining his stones, showing different tools he uses. We were very impressed. Then we came down to 2 stones. In the whole process none of their staff pressured us to buy the stones./www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]

Finalized on .81/I/VS2. The color stood up very nicely, even though it is I. Here is the link for the stone.

/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]http://www.goodoldgold.com/0_81ct_i_vs2_h&a.htm

I put the deposit onthe stone and started looking for the mounting. I visited Fortunoff, and some local stores in NJ. But didn’t like anything. Almost came close to buying Vatche Truffle setting. Something made me back-off. Called Michael Fina in NYC, but their customer service really sucks../www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]

Then emailed Juan at Van-Graff with what I wanted. Time was running out. He agreed to do my ring within short time (just about 10 days). This was something to go by faith, since he is in Mexico and I had to trust him with his work./www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]

He was very nice to work with and shipped the ring to Jonathan very much in time. I liked the ring, but I had imagined it to be little more heavier/bulkier../www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]

Yesterday, we traveled again to Long Island to get the stones set. GOG people did an amazing job. Very nice and patient people to work with. Big thanks to Amy. But one thing is sure, they will not budge on their price! I tried bargaining, ha ha../www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]

I am waiting for my ring to arrive tomorrow.. My anniversary on Monday. Talk about timing./www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]

I would recommend both GOG and Juan at Van-Graff./www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]

Please let me know how you like my ring../www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]

Thanks for reading my long post. Also thanks for participating in these forums, which provides learning experience for all of us.

21.gif

/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]side stones are .20/SI/I/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]

/idealbb/files/KR Br81IVS2 side view-4.jpeg

/idealbb/files/KR Br81IVS2 finished 3-4.jpeg

/idealbb/files/KR Bt81IVS2 side view 2-4.jpeg/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]

obsessive

Rough_Rock
hi
congratulations, the diamond and setting are beautiful.
Are you the couple that i met on sat a few weeks ago at GOG (I was looking at a 2 C and gave you opinions on the setting???)
anyway, whether it is or is not you, congrats!
I too, have had a great experience with GOG. Still to get the ring though, i've been cut out of the loop at this point!

dreamer

Rough_Rock
rolleyes.gif

Yes, we are the same couple. I am going to get my ring tomorrow by fed-ex. Christen emailed me the pics. How about yours? Looking forward for your pics too..

obsessive

Rough_Rock
hi
well congrats again.
not quite getting it yet. we ordered the settting, but they changed the setting price on us, between the time we met you, and 2 weeks later, i'm not sure if its just a mistake, so i'm waiting to hear before sending over the big bucks and having it set.
soon though
thanks
i'll post pics!

da_ticklah

Rough_Rock
beautiful setting

Mikesgirl

Shiny_Rock
Really beautiful. The setting is very graceful, very musical.

reds

Rough_Rock
Beautiful ring!! What size and shape are the sides??Looking at a similar setting. Love your pictures! Reds

fuffi

Shiny_Rock
I love your ring! I've never seen a setting that left the diamonds so viewable from all sides.

dreamer

Rough_Rock
All of them are round. Sides are .18ct each. Debated a lot about the proportions, since I like the center one very significant and total of sides approximately 1/3 of the center.. I like the way it turned out..

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Dreamer,

Love that style. My new setting will have a flavor of this on the sides as far as the flowing curve. If it looks half as good as yours, I'll be a happy camper. I also love the smaller size of your side stones. Much nicer accent. in my opinion than the typical 3 stone effect which is all over the place.

What wedding band style are you choosing? Have you decided yet? Anyway, enjoy your ring, it is just beautiful!
10.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous! I really like the way smaller sidestones look with a larger center.

curiouscanuck

Rough_Rock
Congrats on your 7th anniversary. Beautiful ring.
3.gif

KittySkyfish

Rough_Rock
Congratulations on your 7th anniversary! Your setting is really pretty and unique. The setting looks like it will really show off your diamonds!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results