shape
carat
color
clarity

Henna Painting for Brides

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another thread got me interested in looking for pictures of brides having henna parties and of brides with henna designs wearing their wedding gowns. I came across this site in my travels. They actually pick a henna model of the month!

http://www.radico.com/model-of-the-month/index.html

read.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
october-2001-model-h1.jpg

That was truncated! The actual picture is *LOVELY*! It looks as if she is wearing a long, black lace glove!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish that the link I put up was "clickable" (i.e. the sort of link to a website where one could click on it and be transported to the website!!!). I feel frustrated at being unable to share some of the fascinating things I've been learning since I decided to research henna painting on the 'net.

Those of you who like tattoos might really enjoy it. (I, personally, *don't* like tattoos...simply because of their permanence...but I love body art that can be changed.)

Here is some more information from the website cited above:

"Henna art (Mehndi) is a lot of fun and doesn't require a lot of artistic skill. Decorate your body with the natural hue of henna and get started for an ingenuous feel.

Body Decoration -/- Hair Decoration -/- Henna Tattoos -/- Henna Accessories

Henna: A Body Art -/- FAQ's & Tips -/- Medicinal Uses -/- Hair Colouring -/- Creating Designs

We humans are fascinated with body decoration right since the beginning of life on earth. It
is believed that early human cave dwellers braided seashells into their hair and wore bone
necklaces. This art kept on improving with time and later Stone Age civilizations painted their hair and bodies with plant and mineral dyes. This colouring of bodies suggested group membership or rank which they belonged to. Gradually, symbolic body painting or colouring became a magical part of hunting rituals, religious festivals, and ceremonies.

Origin, history and tradition

The practice of henna body decoration dates back to Islam. Henna is thought to have first come into use in Egypt for coloring fingertips and finger nails, palms of hands, and soles of feet. One of the earliest documented uses of henna is found in the archeological evidence of Egyptian tombs in the valley of Nile. Mummies of Egyptian rulers and their families were prepared to enter the next world with henna-tinted fingernails. Hieroglyphics names henna as pouquer.

In Middle East, the leaves of the henna plant have been used for centuries as a beautification of the hands and feet. This has been done particularly as religious ritual or during some ceremony. In India, the women utilize it to beautify themselves before big
occasions such as wedding and holidays. The traditional patterns mimic a lacy look, like
gloves on the hands and arms, and very intricate and ravishing.

Mehndi Tradition in India

Henna's first roots in India are in question. During the reign of Augustus, Emperor of Rome (27 B.C.-A.D. 14), Egypt became an important trade centre for commerce between Rome and India. There are ancient murals in the Ajanta- Ellora caves near Mumabi (old Bombay) dated before A.D. 350 that, remarkably, show a princess of Patliputra reclining under a tree, half asleep, having her hands and feet painted with flowery henna designs. Historians mention that henna may have been brought to India along with Persian horses around A.D 712. What is known is that henna has been cultivated in Rajasthan since around 1476.

Ethnic Significance of Mehandi

The use of mehandi or henna became a significant part of Indian folk art soon after the
advent of the Muslims. The orange-red mehandi color was often painted on new brides.
The women were painted with intricate designs on order to distinguish them from unmarried young virgins, who were in danger of being kidnapped by the Muslims. From that time onward, it is said that mehandi flourished as decorative art in India. Hindus consider
mehandi as very dear to Lakshmi, goddess of wealth and fortune. If ever there was a plant
associated with luck and prosperity, it is henna bush.

Botanical Profile

Botanical name: Lawsonia inermis
Botanical Family: N.O. Lythraceae
Common names: Henna, Henne, Mehandi, Mendee, Al-Khanna, Al- henna, khidab, Jamaica Mignonette, Egyptian Privet, Smooth Lawsonia, Reseda

Henna is a shrub, 8-15 feet high, with small white, yellow, pink or cream-colored sweet smelling flowers. It produces blue-black berries. It thrives in hot, dry climates. Powdered (young) leaves of the plant have been in use from the most ancient times in Middle- Eastern and South Asian countries for dyeing the hair and the nails. The dyeing process is a chemical property of a brown tannin-like resinoid fracture substance that is called hennotannic acid."

PS-I don't *know* if the author really meant that henna gives one an "ingenuous feel".

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results