shape
carat
color
clarity

Thank you GOG!!!! Pics of my ring!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Boulder

Shiny_Rock
Christen from GOG took these pictures this morning of my ring, which was set yesterday.

The stone is a 0.936 F SI1 H&A (See http://www.goodoldgold.com/0_936ct_f_si1_h&a.htm)

The setting is an all-platinum Stuller Solstice:
SH160 Bombe Shank for a 6 prong setting
20605 6 prong round setting medium height
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

Boulder

Shiny_Rock
What do you think?
naughty.gif

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Classic and lovely.

Boulder

Shiny_Rock
Thanks!
9.gif

This is going to kill me...I think! I don't know if I can wait another 9 days. At least I don't have the ring in hand yet. I'm sure that it's going to be burning a hole in my pocket once it arrives.
3.gif

smaggard

Rough_Rock
Awesome ring Boulder! Good job!
As for burning a hole in your pocket...tell me about it
10.gif

After I got it in hand, as soon as she left each day, out it came for me to play with...and I got kind of attached to it! In fact once I gave it to her, I thought I may have to save up and get a SuperbCert of my own to play with
9.gif
LOL!
Enjoy it while you can! She's going to love it though, and that's the important thing, especially when she finds out about all the research you did on here and stuff, that meant a lot to my now fiancee, knowing I didn't walk in a maul store and say "I need a ring or something..uhuhuhu".
6.gif

Boulder

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, smaggard! She has some idea that I've been doing a fair amount of research, but to the extent of what I've really done. She's asked for full disclosure after it's her...
1.gif

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Boulder,

Great solitaire style, & beautiful stone. GOG sure did a great job setting it, too. Looks perfect. Enjoy it while it is yours hheheh.
10.gif

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Boulder Great Job:

I can relate to your experience very well. The night I received my fiancees ring from Jonathan I set it on the kitchen table turned on the light and set the lazy boy back a ways and just starred at the way it shined. Now that it is on her finger I can look at it everyday.

-Josh Rioux
Sitka, Alaska
9.gif

aneelcon

Shiny_Rock
Hey Boulder,

Ring is beautiful. Your setting looks exactly like mine. My Fiance got it at Costco of all places. Is there some type of signature or trademark that is engraved in your ring? I'm wondering if he really bought it there....

thanks!

Boulder

Shiny_Rock
Thank you Josh and aneelcon!
1.gif

The ring is scheduled to arrive tomorrow...I can imagine myself staring at it for quite a while. I'll probably be playing around with different lighting--halogen, incadescent, etc--to see what it looks like in all conditions.
I'm not sure if there is a signature or a trademark as I haven't actually seen one of these in person... It is a Stuller Solstice, so maybe it has that engraved. I'll have to check it tomorrow night and get back to you...
3.gif

Boulder

Shiny_Rock
aneelcon,
I received the ring in the mail yesterday!
9.gif

I checked the inner part of the shank and it's stamped 'Plat' and 'Solstice'. Hope that helps.
1.gif

Josh,
I can completely identify with your experience! Last night I played around with it in different lighting conditions. I particularly liked the fire when it was lit with direct halogen lighting. Having never spent that much time with a diamond before I was amazed at how dazzling it can be...and now I understand the comments that Jonathan makes about laser beams coming out of the stone. Wow!
9.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats the ring is beautiful!! BTW interesting but I wonder if my head is Stuller because it looks really similar to the one you posted with the little ridges at the bottom of the prongs and also the shape and flow of the prongs. Mine is 4 prong and the shape looks like a tulip...it's not a TRUE tulip head in that it does not have the notches, but the shape of it as it curves up reminds me of the look of a tulip. Yours is very similar.

Hmm!
1.gif
Great job!

aneelcon

Shiny_Rock
Mara,

I'm thinking the same with my ring. I'll post pics soon. but My setting looks exactly like Boulder's. Do you have any signature mark engraved on the inside of your ring?

thanks

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well my ring was custom made....they molded the band itself from scratch...but I know that they bought the head pre-made...because we were looking through ones we liked and pointing them out from the head catalog. With that closeup that was just posted...it looked so similar except mine is 4 prongs. But I figure since the band itself is not Stuller since it was custom, it would not have markings on it. If the head has a marking somewhere...let me know and I can check it out specifically. But since mine wouldn't be a true Stuller ring entirely..it may just be the head.

Bandit

Rough_Rock
Boulder,
Love the ring! Before I saw this thread, I purchased the exact same setting from GOG. I had a diffcult time deciding between the Bombe' shank and the Comfort Fit. How did you come to decide which Stuller Solstice setting to get?

John

Boulder

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, Mara & John!
9.gif

John...that was a very tough decision...
read.gif

It's so difficult to make decisions based on a few pictures on the internet. I spent a lot of time looking at the settings at GOG (not realizing for the longest time that you can enlarge the images TWICE). So for a while I was contending with lower resolution pictures (not the really tiny ones though). I also looked a bit at the Stuller site, which was pretty much useless.

To make a long story short I found this on the web:
Shanks
SH156 Bombe' Shank for a 4 Prong Setting
20601 4 Prong Round Setting Medium Height
20603 4 Prong Round Setting Tall Height

SH172 Bombe' Shank for a 4 Prong Cup Setting
20608 4 Prong Cup Setting Medium Height
20616 4 Prong Cup Setting Low Height

SH160 Bombe' Shank for a 6 Prong Setting
20605 6 Prong Round Setting Medium Height
20607 6 Prong Round Setting Tall Height

SH163 ComfortFit Shank for a 6 Prong Setting

SH159 ComfortFit Shank for a 4 Prong Setting

SH175 ComfortFit Shank for a 4 Prong Cup Setting

SH161 Knife Edge Shank for a 6 Prong Setting

SH180 Knife Edge Shank for a 4 Prong Setting

SH173 Knife Edge Shank for a 4 Prong Cup Setting

SH155 Knife Edge Shank for a 6 Prong Peg Setting
20604 6 Prong Peg Medium Height
20615 6 Prong Peg Low Height

SH154 Bombe' Shank for a 4 Prong Peg Setting
20600 4 Prong Peg Medium Height
20614 4 Prong Peg Low Height

So according to that, here are your styles...

15420600 Bombe' Shank for a 4 Prong Peg Setting + 4 Prong Peg Medium Height
15420614 Bombe' Shank for a 4 Prong Peg Setting + 4 Prong Peg Low Height
15520614 Knife Edge Shank for a 6 Prong Peg Setting + 4 Prong Peg Low Height
15920601 ComfortFit Shank for a 4 Prong Setting + 4 Prong Round Setting Medium Height

------------------------------------
As to base widths of 4 prongs solstice heads:

The 20600 4 prong medium "peg head" visally can look thinner at the base where it meets the shank. It "V's" to the pointed insertion peg at the bottom. We don't like the look personally.

The 20601 4 prong medium would be a tad wider looking than the peg head because of the process of crafting it on the split shank.

The 20608 cup medium head would look a tad wider then the 20601 as there is more metal at the base of the prongs. I will post an image.

The difference between a peg setting and a regular setting is the peg setting is soldered to a seat on the shank. The base setting is solder between the two pinches of the shank.

With the peg, the head sits on a base with a peg in the middle and for a non-peg head, the base of the head actually is flush to your finger.

I also went to a local jeweler and checked out their Stuller catalog.

It was a tough decision based on limited knowledge. For quite a while I had no idea what the knife-edge shank looked like. It was difficult to tell from the shadows in the picture what it actually looked like.

Once I realized that I did not like the knife-edge design, it was easy to choose the shank. My girlfriend had tried on a comfortfit ring on quite a while ago and didn't like the added thickness, so I didn't even consider it.

The hardest decision was whether to go for the 4 or 6 prong design. Even though the setting is platinum I was still slightly concerned about the security of 4 prongs, which is probably ridiculous. I liked the fact that when the ring is viewed from the crown of the stone the 6 prong setting hints at a circular shape whereas the 4 prong setting looks more squarish. However, 6 prongs do look a bit 'busy' when viewed from the side. I asked my girlfriend in passing whether she preferred 4 or 6 prongs and honestly I don't think that question had ever crossed her mind before. As a result I made the decision to go with the 6.
3.gif

How about you?

Bandit

Rough_Rock
I had the same dilema! I could not tell the differences between the various model numbers anywhere on the web. I finally decided to call GOG and ask. Marie Ellen was an overwhelming help to me in explaining the differences. I knew early on that I wanted the 6 prong. Marie explained that the Comfort Fit (as you found out)was thicker than the bombe or knife edge. She even found out the millimeter differences for me. After a long telephone conversation, I finally decided on the bombe style #16020605 without even seeing an example. Then I found your posting. I know I made the right decision! Thanks!

Boulder

Shiny_Rock
Glad that it ended up working well for you (and that my post gave you peace of mind
1.gif
)! What someone needs to do is set up some high quality images of the various settings that you can manipulate with your mouse in all directions. It's so hard to make a decision on a setting based just on a side view or just a top view.
3.gif

aneelcon

Shiny_Rock
Hey Boulder,

My ring doesn't have anything engraved in the inside. I guess it's just a copy. I was wondering, have you found a wedding band to match? I found one at Tiffany's (bent platinum comfort fit band) but it was $800. I want the band to sit flush against the ering.

thanks and keep us updated on the proposal!

Boulder

Shiny_Rock
aneelcon,
Haven't even looked yet...but after the proposal I'll have to check things out. Since I like the Stuller Solstice so much, I may check out their catalog to see if I can find something that matches and fits flush. If you come across anything I'd definitely be interested in hearing about it!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results