shape
carat
color
clarity

diamond switching -- how often?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

laurar

Rough_Rock
There probably really isn''t an answer to this. But I thought I''d throw it out there anyhow. I recently brought my grandmother''s ring to a jeweler in town to have the diamonds reset in a gold band. The design of the ring is beautiful and I was really happy with it. But then when I asked the jeweler for my grandmother''s old band back, he told me it had been sent out to be melted back down again and was not retrievable (we had never said that we didn''t want the ring back, nor had we discussed them giving us any credit for the ring). After we put some pressure on him, lo and behold, my grandmother''s ring band showed up a day later and was returned to us. After this experience, I am now wondering what else they have "lied" to us about and it is really eating at me. I was foolish enough not to have my grandmother''s diamonds appraised prior to leaving them at the jewelers (don''t know why I didn''t think to do this). Now I''m wondering if they switched diamonds on me or even replaced them with faux diamonds. Is this irrational? I think my grandmother''s diamonds were good diamonds (at least the jeweler said they were in the G color with very few inclusions) -- but they are not big diamonds...just small (1/3 carat or less each) marquis cut diamonds...12 of them mounted around an anniversary band setting. So, maybe it wouldn''t be worth my jeweler''s time to switch them? I just don''t know. Since then, I''ve been studying them more closely and do note that one of the diamonds has what appears to be a rather large whitish colored inclusion in it...I had not noticed that before (nor did my jeweler mention it), but then again I did not have it appraise prior. I am thinking at a minimum I should at least bring the ring to another jeweler to at least ask if they are still real diamonds. Guess I''ll never know for sure if they are the same diamonds that I started with. Any thoughts/experiences?
sick.gif

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
You should probably get the ring appraised for your own peace of mind. If you find an appraiser who's experienced with antique diamonds, he or she might be able to tell you whether the stones are at least from the right period. I don't know if marquise cuts have changed since your grandmother's time, but round cuts have evolved a great deal over the years.

However, my gut feeling is that it's unlikely your jeweler would risk his reputation by stealing small, old marquise cuts. He'd have too much to lose and not enough to gain.

I could be wrong, of course, and I'm not a professional, but my guess is you're okay.

laurar

Rough_Rock
thanks...that is helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results