shape
carat
color
clarity

Airline may charge passengers to use toilet

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
Ryan Air thinking of charging passengers to use the loo
23.gif
23.gif
23.gif

Are they serious?

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
Woops, wrong forum! I''ve asked for it to be moved.
6.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
OMG!!! Seriously?!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
"He said this would not inconvenience passengers travelling without cash. “I don''t think there is anybody in history that has got on board a Ryanair aircraft with less than a pound.”"

I rarely have cash on me and it''s the last thing I want to think about when I''m dashing to the bathroom!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How absurd.
20.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s absurd. Truly absurd. It says a lot about the company that the moron who suggested this wasn''t immediately silenced, but rather that others thought the idea had merit enough for it get to the public.

Lovely.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Quite simply if they did enforce this ridiculous policy, then they would be the last on my list of potential airlines, completely the wrong place to penny pinch IMO.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
O''Leary will do ANYTHING for publicity.

If he could strap a seat to the wing and say it was 1/2 price he would - just to get free publicity.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Ah, but if it''s the difference between paying £5 to fly to Italy or £150, I''m happy to pay £1 for the loo - you have to pay for food and drinks on their planes anyway.

It''ll probably be turned down on the grounds of being discriminatory against various groups of people. Doesn''t really worry me though - I''ve yet to see a free loo in London stations yet!

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
I can''t say i''m too surprised. You have to pay to use the bathroom in lots of places in Europe. Or at least tip the attendant. I think it''s silly, but Ryan Air normally does short flights right? Pee before you go.
3.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
23.gif

Only saving grace I think is that the flights are fairly short I think. If this was an airline that did, say international flights that were hours long, I would not be a happy camper. And I''d be a very broke unhappy camper.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
I''m with Pandora on this one. Even though its completely absurd for them to charge for people to use the bathroom I would rather deal with the weirdness of it all and still have my wicked cheap flight.

Date: 3/1/2009 9:34:44 PM
Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl
23.gif

Only saving grace I think is that the flights are fairly short I think. If this was an airline that did, say international flights that were hours long, I would not be a happy camper. And I''d be a very broke unhappy camper.
Me too B.E.G.! I can just see my coffee loving father getting on the plane with a sack of 1 pound coins in his carry-on.

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
If being able to relieve yourself is not a civil right, I don''t know what should be.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2009 10:35:38 PM
Author: Clairitek
I''m with Pandora on this one. Even though its completely absurd for them to charge for people to use the bathroom I would rather deal with the weirdness of it all and still have my wicked cheap flight.

23.gif

Me too B.E.G.! I can just see my coffee loving father getting on the plane with a sack of 1 pound coins in his carry-on.

5.gif
Too funny! I would be the same!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
And what if you were desperate and didn't have any cash? Would they expect you to tinkle where you sit?

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2009 10:35:38 PM
Author: Clairitek

23.gif

Considering you pay to use the loo''s pretty well everywhere in Europe anyway and the flights are cheap as stated I would do it even if it were weird LOL.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
My husband is driven mad by people who wander back and forth to the bathroom on an airplane, seemingly to give themselves something to do, and has wished for a long time that they might start charging for its use. This should make him very happy, and jealous that it''s not happening in the U.S..
3.gif

Considering it''s common practice to charge for restroom use in Europe I don''t see the problem. Flying is a privilege, in my mind, not a right.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2009 8:40:57 AM
Author: KimberlyH
My husband is driven mad by people who wander back and forth to the bathroom on an airplane, seemingly to give themselves something to do, and has wished for a long time that they might start charging for its use. This should make him very happy, and jealous that it''s not happening in the U.S..
3.gif

Considering it''s common practice to charge for restroom use in Europe I don''t see the problem. Flying is a privilege, in my mind, not a right.

Kim - I think the problem is what Pandora mentioned, that it might be discriminatory against certain groups of people. Some people have hormone imbalances or other medical issues that necessitate they use the restroom more often than most people. It does seem unfair to blame those people or expect them to have to pay more for something they have no control over.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2009 5:25:38 PM
Author: Steel
O''Leary will do ANYTHING for publicity.

If he could strap a seat to the wing and say it was 1/2 price he would - just to get free publicity.

ditto. Their fares are so good though so I''d still use them.

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
This is not funny , they may as well charge for use of toilet paper , soap and water at the same time.

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2009 6:33:07 AM
Author: Maisie
And what if you were desperate and didn''t have any cash? Would they expect you to tinkle where you sit?

HAHAHA!!! That would be the funniest sit-in EVER!!! Pick a short flight (like 30 mins) and have everyone pee themselves in protest to the policy. I think having to constantly clean their upholstery will slightly outweigh the cost benefit of charging to use the restroom. If nothing else, the stench of stale pee would lose them business, as it should.

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2009 10:40:53 AM
Author: AmberGretchen

Kim - I think the problem is what Pandora mentioned, that it might be discriminatory against certain groups of people. Some people have hormone imbalances or other medical issues that necessitate they use the restroom more often than most people. It does seem unfair to blame those people or expect them to have to pay more for something they have no control over.

Agreed. Not to mention that women have periods that they cannot control. Shall I change myself in my seat?

tlh

Ideal_Rock
Hmm... free drink... so no charge going in... just a charge for the going out.

Imagine sitting next to the cheapskate who soils himself...
14.gif

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2009 12:45:25 PM
Author: tlh
Hmm... free drink... so no charge going in... just a charge for the going out.

Imagine sitting next to the cheapskate who soils himself...
14.gif
Nope, nothing is free on Ryan Air - it''s the aeroplane equivalent of a bus - hence why the tickets can be so cheap.

I got return flights to Rome from London a couple of years ago for my brother and me for 99p each way plus taxes (basically less than $2) - Total was about $50 for both of us to fly return.

They only do shorthaul flights - but I do wonder what they will do if someone doesn''t have a pound on them...

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/2/2009 8:40:57 AM
Author: KimberlyH
3.gif

One additional consideration - for people with poor circulation, it''s not just to give themselves something to do, but a medical necessity. Older folk, pregnant women, and people who''re prone to bloating will still be clogging up the aisles, at least ideally. It''s a lot better than the alternative of deep vein thrombosis or a stroke ... it''s just that the cost might make some people less likely to follow those instructions. If they do institute this rule, I hope it stays on flights of 2 hours or less ....

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2009 6:33:07 AM
Author: Maisie
And what if you were desperate and didn''t have any cash? Would they expect you to tinkle where you sit?

That''s what I would do if they wouldn''t let me go-I''d go right on the floor next to the bathroom!
3.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2009 5:59:02 PM
Author: Pandora II
Ah, but if it''s the difference between paying £5 to fly to Italy or £150, I''m happy to pay £1 for the loo - you have to pay for food and drinks on their planes anyway.

It''ll probably be turned down on the grounds of being discriminatory against various groups of people. Doesn''t really worry me though - I''ve yet to see a free loo in London stations yet!
Ditto, the airfare saves people tons
22.gif
flying Ryanair!!! I would pay to ride for that cheap!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Wow, you are all taking this, and my comments, quite seriously.

I do believe privately owned businesses such as airlines have a right to charge for whatever they want, and people who don't like it should opt not to use their services. Money talks, if they see the bottom line going down as a result perhaps they'll rethink their policy.

Regarding my husbands' comments, he's not a dope, he obviously understands that some people have medical needs that require them to move about and use the restroom more often during a flight, but there are certainly passengers who get up simply because they are bored and for whatever reason this is a pet peeve of his. We all have them, pet peeves that is, not such a big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results