shape
carat
color
clarity

running gps

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MMT

Ideal_Rock
Hi I''m a runner and I''m interested in buying a gps. I have my eye on the Garmin Forerunner and was wondering if anyone has any experience with it or feedback. Thanks

sammyj

Brilliant_Rock
I use the 205 (blue watch without the heartrate monitor) and I can''t say enough good things about it! I love being able to keep pace and track my distance and I have not had any problems in the 2+ years that I''ve been using it. If you are somewhat serious about running and have goals to get stronger and faster, I would recommend that you buy the 305 with the heartrate monitor. Many athletes prefer to run based on their heartrate rather than their pace. I regret not having purchased the 305 but I wanted to save some money!

The newest version, the 405, is smaller and looks like a Polar watch, but I''ve read reviews about the watch face being too small. On my Garmin I like to have the screen divided into 4 sections: time, distance, average pace, and current pace. I don''t think that''s possible with the 405.

Hope that helps!
35.gif

MMT

Ideal_Rock
Thank you Sammy that does help. I was looking at the 205 because I didn''t actually think I would wear the heart monitor. I do have a friend who bought the 405 and really doesn''t like it either. I was initially drawn to it due to size but really didnt want to spend $300. I have found several 205''s online for around $150.

sammyj

Brilliant_Rock
I bought my 205 on ebay and it was brand new in the package. The only issue is that it won''t be under warranty so if anything happens you can''t do much about it. A guy in my running clinic is commonly referred to as ''the Garmin Doctor'' so he''s the person I ask if I have any Garmin issues (which have been very few). I should also mention to keep your garmin from the reach of dogs. My BF and I were taking care of his parents'' dogs while they were on vacation and they completely chewed up my friend''s garmin. It was horrible!!

MMT

Ideal_Rock
Sammy do you remember which ebay vendor you used?

sammyj

Brilliant_Rock
Hey MMT, unfortunately I bought my garmin under an old ebay account that I don''t have access to anymore. FWIW, I think it was a one-off, not from a seller that has a ton in stock. I think if it''s in sealed packaging you should be ok...

tdiddy

Shiny_Rock
MMT,

I have the 405 and love it. It has quite a few more options for add-ons than older models including the heart rate monitor , foot pod, and wireless data sharing. The screen is smaller and has bezel touch. Although you don''t see all modes on the screen at once, you can set it to scroll through the various screens you want to see automatically while you run which is a nice trade off for a smaller device. I am a smaller boned female and the 405 is almost too big on my wrist so the other models were huge on me.

I am a marathon coach in my city and got a nice (25%) discount on the 405 so it was an easy decision for me to go with the newer model. But I do run with many others who have the older models and they seem happy enough with them. The only complaint I have heard is that the 205/305 users seem to take longer to pick up satellites in areas where I pick them up sooner. On the flip side I have been out on 5-6 hour long runs/workouts and my battery died before theirs. My 405 has never lasted more than 6 hours on a long charge (although Garmin claims it will last longer that has never been the case for me).

If you want the normal features without the extra tech add-ons and don''t care about the size, I''d recommend getting the cheaper model. The price difference is pretty significant. Good luck!

runnrgrl

Rough_Rock
I have an older version and love it! I can''t imagine marathon training without it. Will someday upgrade, but my battery life is great...have had it over 2 years.

MMT

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for all the advice. I ordered one online and it should be coming today. I''m doing a long run on Sat and I can''t wait to use it. Thanks again!!

stephbolt

Brilliant_Rock
Glad you decided to buy one, I have a Forerunner 305 that I got for my birthday that I have enjoyed so far. Although, I''m a cold weather wuss so I''ve not used it much. I borrowed a friends when we ran a race this autumn (the Ragnar Relay, 180 mi relay race in a team of 12) and I found that I pushed myself much harder than I usually would, knowing exactly how fast I was going! Hope you enjoy yours!

tlh

Ideal_Rock
Ha! I''m soo old school. I run out and backs... OFTEN. Helps that I live in a city w/ a grid system... every major street is 1 mile out. I just use the Polar... and I LOVE IT. I HR train.

MMT

Ideal_Rock
I absolutely love my new Garmin gps and would highly recommend it to anyone thinking of buying one
35.gif
35.gif

sammyj

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/21/2009 2:43:23 PM
Author: MMT
I absolutely love my new Garmin gps and would highly recommend it to anyone thinking of buying one
35.gif
35.gif
Yay! I''m glad you like it!!!
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results