shape
carat
color
clarity

buying diamond and setting from different places

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

NicaK

Rough_Rock
Trade
My BF plans the buy the diamond from James Allen and the setting from Shane Co. Does anyone know if they charge to set an "outside" diamond and if so, how much? Also I want to know if this is a bad idea or if others have done something similar successfully.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/2/2009 7:06:20 AM
Author:NicaK
My BF plans the buy the diamond from James Allen and the setting from Shane Co. Does anyone know if they charge to set an 'outside' diamond and if so, how much? Also I want to know if this is a bad idea or if others have done something similar successfully.
Hi Nica and welcome!

I just wanted to make you aware that you need to check whether Shenoa will assume responsibility for your diamond should an accident happen and the diamond chips or breaks. This is admittedly rare but it can happen even with round diamonds that occasionally things go wrong. Some won't cover a diamond they didn't sell so my advice is to clarify with Shenoa whether they would take responsibility or not.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/2/2009 7:14:20 AM
Author: Lorelei

My BF plans the buy the diamond from James Allen and the setting from Shane Co. Does anyone know if they charge to set an 'outside' diamond and if so, how much? Also I want to know if this is a bad idea or if others have done something similar successfully.
Hi Nica and welcome!

I just wanted to make you aware that you need to check whether Shenoa will assume responsibility for your diamond should an accident happen and the diamond chips or breaks. This is admittedly rare but it can happen even with round diamonds that occasionally things go wrong. Some won't cover a diamond they didn't sell so my advice is to clarify with Shenoa whether they would take responsibility or not.
With respect M'Lady, I think the OP is referring to Shane Co who filed Chapter 11 last month (BW story). They are continuing business while restructuring, but I believe this is worth noting.

Nica, most jewelry stores are not keen on assuming liability for setting a diamond they didn't sell. Practices vary though, especially in the current economy. Do be sure to secure any guarantee of liability in writing, and in this specific case you may want to research the implications of their current status on any guarantee they may offer.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/2/2009 12:00:27 PM
Author: John Pollard

Date: 2/2/2009 7:14:20 AM
Author: Lorelei

My BF plans the buy the diamond from James Allen and the setting from Shane Co. Does anyone know if they charge to set an ''outside'' diamond and if so, how much? Also I want to know if this is a bad idea or if others have done something similar successfully.
Hi Nica and welcome!

I just wanted to make you aware that you need to check whether Shenoa will assume responsibility for your diamond should an accident happen and the diamond chips or breaks. This is admittedly rare but it can happen even with round diamonds that occasionally things go wrong. Some won''t cover a diamond they didn''t sell so my advice is to clarify with Shenoa whether they would take responsibility or not.
With respect M''Lady, I think the OP is referring to Shane Co who filed Chapter 11 last month (BW story). They are continuing business while restructuring, but I believe this is worth noting.

Nica, most jewelry stores are not keen on assuming liability for setting a diamond they didn''t sell. Practices vary though, especially in the current economy. Do be sure to secure any guarantee of liability in writing, and in this specific case you may want to research the implications of their current status on any guarantee they may offer.
YIKES!! Good catch Sir, thanks!!!

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Just my opinion but I wouldn''t let Shane Co set my stone. If anything did happen to your stone they''d want to replace it with one of their own (and most likely they''d pick it).

I also would want to leave my stone with a company that has declared Chapter 11.

LAD

Rough_Rock
Maybe James Allen would have a similar setting then you could have the stone set there.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2009 12:31:11 PM
Author: swingirl

I also would want to leave my stone with a company that has declared Chapter 11.
Correction--...would NOT want to leave my stone...

NicaK

Rough_Rock
Trade
Yikes! I will check into James Allen and see what they have. I do not want to leave any jewelry with a company that has declared bankruptcy. Thank you all for your replies.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results