shape
carat
color
clarity

Leon Mege "No Soup For You!"

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2009 12:51:59 PM
Author:Rock_of_Love
I''m posting this because I''m not quite sure what to do and I need your advice/help!

In my search for a diamond (antique style cushion) and a setting, this website has been a wealth of information. Thank you! I''ve been working with Jonathan at GOG for the stone, and I''m getting close to ''the one'' - and he has been truly wonderful to work with. As far as the setting, I had pretty much decided on Leon Mege after reading about his work here and viewing some spectacular pieces...you had me convinced! His work is gorgeous!

I was taking a trip out to NYC so I''d hoped to meet with him to discuss settings, but he felt that since I didn''t have the stone yet, it wouldn''t be a very productive meeting. I was a little disappointed since I was coming from the West Coast and I don''t get out to NY all that often, but I understood and it made sense since he seems to design the ring based on the stone.

Since then, I''m getting very close to finding the stone - I think I may have found one, but need to work out the $$ details! So, I''ve been frantically trying to figure out the setting. I have so many ideas of what I like that I''m almost ready to do a collage like CharmyPoo''s!! I found a setting on Leon''s website that I really liked, so I emailed him to ask more about it...there is only one pic on the website, so it is hard to tell what it really looks like all around.

He emailed me a quote, which was great, but I had initially asked for more pics...and when I asked again, I got a very harsh email back. He said he simply can''t send pics and he listed the reasons (I''m paraphrasing, but the tone defintely wasn''t nice):

1. Receives too many requests and its impossible to find the pics

2. The other images are not optimized

3. How does he know I''m not a jeweler trying to copy his work

4. My customers invest their trust in my work and prefer the piece to be unique rather than an exact replica of a past design

5. Historically not a single request for an additional image resulted in anorder placed

I emailed back explaining that I had recently talked to him on the phone and that I am definitley not a jeweler trying to copy his work. I also assured him that I had pretty much made my decision to go with him for my setting, and that I was just trying to figure out what I wanted my setting to look like. A lot of the other settings on the site have 2 views, this one didn''t so I was just trying to see what the basket/prong/whatever looked like becasue from the one pic you can''t tell. I explained this all to him.

Another harsh email back from him that pretty much cut me off from further discussions about design. He basically said I needed to place the order, then we could discuss design specifics.

I replied back and apoligized if I had offended him in any way and hoped that we could work this out.

Haven''t heard back in days, hence ''NO SOUP FOR YOU!''

I''m really sad because I love his work - and I don''t think I was asking for too much! I''m not the type that can just send over my money and my diamond and trust that it will work out...I do want some say in the design process. So, I just don''t know what to do at this point...do I keep trying with Leon?? Anyone experienced this and does it work out??

Advice / Help Please!!
39.gif

23.gif

I think Leon''s work is incredible and gorgeous, but sometimes the stories I hear really shock me. Sounds like a serious paranoid overreaction. Sorry you had that bad experience!

Rock_of_Love

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/5/2009 5:48:08 PM
Author: swingirl
Regarding the photos, Leon takes photos of his work that he believes are of interest in promoting his style and designs. But once the ring is sold how could he get more photos? He does not have 2 or 3 photographers like WF has which take photos of every item from 3 different angles. You hardly see any photos of past projects from Mark Morrell, GOG, or Maytal Hannah''s site. They don''t offer nearly the selection of past projects to flip through. WF posts no custom pieces on their website and may or may not offer to dig one out from their files for you, especially if wasn''t done recently. Actually Leon seems to be the only custom vendor that has 329 photos on his website for you to get inspiration from.

Leon is also not the first vendor who declined to start work on a project before they had the stone in their hands. WF did the same and one fella on PS complained because he thought WF should have his cad going before he even bought his stone.

Leon doesn''t have a store front and is not set up for personalized customer service, especially with someone who is still looking for ideas and as you say, ''I have so many ideas of what I like that I''m almost ready to do a collage like CharmyPoo''s!!'' Leon does not work that way. I am guessing he could sense that without a stone and without any clear direction you aren''t ready to begin a design project.

Hopefully you will find someone to work with that is a better fit. But have your stone in hand and your ideas narrowed down.
If he didn''t have additional pics, he could''ve just said that...or even referred me to a different ring of his to show me what the basket/prong configuration looked like.

Yes, I''m still looking for ideas, but I have it pretty narrowed down. I''m not a ring designer, but I know what I like, I just need a designer to describe it to. For example, "Leon, I really like this one, but I want this and this changed...what do you think...please show me the basket/prong options? Okay...I like this one...great, thanks, done!"

I know he doesn''t have a store...I talked to him. *But* I have read other posts from people that have said they have gone in, looked at tons of pics in photo albums, possibly seen some of his work in progress, etc. Also, I don''t have any problem with not starting until I have the stone...I like that aspect about him because it means he really concentrates on creating a setting that captures the beauty of a particular stone.

If you can''t tell from my original post, I am just bummed I might be denied, because I love his work and I didn''t think I did anything wrong. I know you don''t know me, but believe me, I am a very courteous, understanding, and patient person, *especially* in a professional environment. My mom always used to tell me "You catch more flies with honey" and I agree!!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2009 6:27:56 PM
Author: Rock_of_Love

If he didn't have additional pics, he could've just said that...or even referred me to a different ring of his to show me what the basket/prong configuration looked like.

Yes, I'm still looking for ideas, but I have it pretty narrowed down. I'm not a ring designer, but I know what I like, I just need a designer to describe it to. For example, 'Leon, I really like this one, but I want this and this changed...what do you think...please show me the basket/prong options? Okay...I like this one...great, thanks, done!'

I know he doesn't have a store...I talked to him. *But* I have read other posts from people that have said they have gone in, looked at tons of pics in photo albums, possibly seen some of his work in progress, etc. Also, I don't have any problem with not starting until I have the stone...I like that aspect about him because it means he really concentrates on creating a setting that captures the beauty of a particular stone.

If you can't tell from my original post, I am just bummed I might be denied, because I love his work and I didn't think I did anything wrong. I know you don't know me, but believe me, I am a very courteous, understanding, and patient person, *especially* in a professional environment. My mom always used to tell me 'You catch more flies with honey' and I agree!!
Trust me, you did nothing wrong. I am quite sure you were curtious.
28.gif

I'm sorry things haven't gone well. Good luck if you decide to try again with Leon, but there really are other great jewlers out there, Maytal for one. And whatever you end up with, please come back with pics!
2.gif

p.s. LOVE the title!
9.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2009 6:57:40 PM
Author: Ellen

If he didn''t have additional pics, he could''ve just said that...or even referred me to a different ring of his to show me what the basket/prong configuration looked like.

Yes, I''m still looking for ideas, but I have it pretty narrowed down. I''m not a ring designer, but I know what I like, I just need a designer to describe it to. For example, ''Leon, I really like this one, but I want this and this changed...what do you think...please show me the basket/prong options? Okay...I like this one...great, thanks, done!''

I know he doesn''t have a store...I talked to him. *But* I have read other posts from people that have said they have gone in, looked at tons of pics in photo albums, possibly seen some of his work in progress, etc. Also, I don''t have any problem with not starting until I have the stone...I like that aspect about him because it means he really concentrates on creating a setting that captures the beauty of a particular stone.

If you can''t tell from my original post, I am just bummed I might be denied, because I love his work and I didn''t think I did anything wrong. I know you don''t know me, but believe me, I am a very courteous, understanding, and patient person, *especially* in a professional environment. My mom always used to tell me ''You catch more flies with honey'' and I agree!!
Trust me, you did nothing wrong. I am quite sure you were curtious.
28.gif

I''m sorry things haven''t gone well. Good luck if you decide to try again with Leon, but there really are other great jewlers out there, Maytal for one. And whatever you end up with, please come back with pics!
2.gif

p.s. LOVE the title!
9.gif
You did nothing wrong!! He''s a hard guy to deal with. I think Maytal or Ari would make a setting you''d be thrilled with. Yes the title is pricelss. Sure got my attention. Best of luck to you. I can''t wait to see what you end up with. I am sure it will be fabulous!!
1.gif

Sharon101

Brilliant_Rock
It sounds like he aint giving away nothing till he gets the job. You know, money`s the honey!!!!

He sounds almost suspitious and angry if you try to get `something` out of him for free. Like he is factoring in the value of his time every time someone even talks to him. Like, if you havent agreed for him to do the work, you are trying to steal from him if you want to talk about your ring.

I hope he changes once you do pay him or commit because otherwise that would be quite a problem.
23.gif

`If` he is willing to go through all these details after you commit, then it should work out ok as he now treats you as a customer. Obviously he sees people as time wasters or paid up customers with nothing inbetween. Obviously no such thing as a `potential` customer to him!!!!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
=
If he didn't have additional pics, he could've just said that...or even referred me to a different ring of his to show me what the basket/prong configuration looked like.

Yes, I'm still looking for ideas, but I have it pretty narrowed down. I'm not a ring designer, but I know what I like, I just need a designer to describe it to. For example, 'Leon, I really like this one, but I want this and this changed...what do you think...please show me the basket/prong options? Okay...I like this one...great, thanks, done!'

I know he doesn't have a store...I talked to him. *But* I have read other posts from people that have said they have gone in, looked at tons of pics in photo albums, possibly seen some of his work in progress, etc. Also, I don't have any problem with not starting until I have the stone...I like that aspect about him because it means he really concentrates on creating a setting that captures the beauty of a particular stone.

If you can't tell from my original post, I am just bummed I might be denied, because I love his work and I didn't think I did anything wrong. I know you don't know me, but believe me, I am a very courteous, understanding, and patient person, *especially* in a professional environment. My mom always used to tell me 'You catch more flies with honey' and I agree!!
Why are you being apologetic about some tempermental goofball deciding he's not doing YOU a favor and making your ring, even though it would cost you thousands?!. What a jerk, you deserve much better dear. I don't know, but in the world of retail, if I was treated like that, I would take my business elsewhere. It's not like he's the only one making beautiful ring mounts. He actually ruined a PS'er's ring once (who shall remain nameless). She was very unhappy with the outcome because Mr. Mege had to have it HIS way. Who does he think he is, Any Warhol or something? Give me a break!

He doesn't even give the courtesy of sending the finished product in a box. Instead he wraps it in bubble wrap. This poor lady who received a ring from him had it sent to her in plastic bubble wrap with packing peanuts. That made me insanely angry.

Thanks for the funny title, so appropo.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Since you are on the west coast I would check out 23rd st. jewelers. in Los Angeles. Their is comparable to the quality of leon mege. I have no idea what their prices are like though.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2009 7:35:36 PM
Author: kcoursolle
Since you are on the west coast I would check out 23rd st. jewelers. in Los Angeles. Their is comparable to the quality of leon mege. I have no idea what their prices are like though.
They''re pretty expensive from what I''ve seen and heard, but their stuff is to die for. It couldn''t hurt to call though!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/5/2009 7:44:37 PM

They''re pretty expensive from what I''ve seen and heard, but their stuff is to die for. It couldn''t hurt to call though!
I am quite certain that Singlestone makes some of their rings because they have had some that were identical to Singlestone''s. So my advice is to not pay the mark-up and deal directly with Singlestone.

However, I''d probably go with Maytal unless there was a specific ring that Singlestone makes that you want reproduced. Maytal is a perfectionist and her rings show it.

As far as Leon goes, I can understand why he doesn''t want to deal with a lot of calls asking questions about rings when he has no commitment for the job. He wants you to send your stone, and THEN you work out the details of your setting. I knew I wanted the classic solitaire, but once he had the stone we could talk about single or double prongs, the height of the shank, the height of the stone, the width of the shank, etc. There was actually a written contract where I was able to specify these things. So once you have a ballpark idea of cost, then I really understand why he doesn''t want to discuss details until he has the stone in hand and knows the person is definitely committing to the project.

That is an absolutely GORGEOUS solitaire (from Leon), and if I didn''t already have the one I have, I think I would have that one made! It would be worth it to me to deal with him because that is a magnificent setting! Just send the stone and then talk to him about the setting. I am sure it is a basket setting...just look at any of our solitaires.

tradergirl

Brilliant_Rock
23rd Street is high but omg is their stuff beautiful. Better than Leon in my opinion.

When I talked to them last spring, once I mentioned Pricescope they quoted 20% lower. If you call them, try it.

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
Bubble wrap and peanuts?! Surely you jest!

mommy2iz

Brilliant_Rock
another vote for singlestone. time to make lemonade out of lemons!!!!! good luck!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
OMG, ROFLMAO !
Leon is the Ring Nazi!!

Rock of Love, I would pass - its just not worth being treated like crap for.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/5/2009 8:04:55 PM
Author: suchende
Yes - she even asked the forum where she could BUY a ring box for it since Leon didn''t supply her one. I guess he might have to charge her extra for one!
29.gif

If someone sent me my extremely expensive custom piece in bubble wrap and peanuts, I would be
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif

Even cheapo ebay sellers are more courteous than that.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
When I run into a someone who is difficult in response to a very simple question that shouldn't provoke that reaction, it makes me very hesitant to work with them. Reason being, if there is a problem and things don't go perfectly, I feel like I don't trust them to take care of it. Sure, if everything works perfectly maybe it'll be great but I simply wouldn't risk thousands on that.

Based on that reaction you got, I'd be taking my business elsewhere; sure, there are reasons why he might not have pics or be comfy giving them out, but there are plenty of ways to say "no" politely without the weird insinuations... there are other options for beautiful prongwork and pave. Interestingly, Yekutiel of ID Jewelry in NY did some AMAZING Leonlike claw prongs on Mausketeer's setting- check out her SMTR thread, I think it's the "Show me your M Color Stones" thread and the pics are on the 2nd or 3rd page; and the price she paid for that setting was a steal too. I definitely put ID Jewelry on my list of "would make sexy prongs" list if I ever reset after seeing that!

Rock_of_Love

Brilliant_Rock
Well, thanks guys!!
37.gif

tourmaline_lover...thanks for putting things into perspective! And, I can not believe bubble wrap and peanuts??? Wow! And, while I would respect a designer''s advice, I wouldn''t want them to just take complete carte blanche.

And, LittleGreyKitten...you make an excellent point, that if a simple question causes this reaction, what would happen if there is a *real* problem.

I like the idea of dealing with a West Coaster that is just a few hours away. That way my BF and I can make a trip out of it!

So...
Singlestone
Maytal - does she have a store? I''m guessing not?
23rd St looks amazing...anyone been to their store? I wonder if they have a lot of examples in house.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2009 8:02:41 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Date: 2/5/2009 7:44:37 PM

They're pretty expensive from what I've seen and heard, but their stuff is to die for. It couldn't hurt to call though!

I am quite certain that Singlestone makes some of their rings because they have had some that were identical to Singlestone's. So my advice is to not pay the mark-up and deal directly with Singlestone.

However, I'd probably go with Maytal unless there was a specific ring that Singlestone makes that you want reproduced. Maytal is a perfectionist and her rings show it.

As far as Leon goes, I can understand why he doesn't want to deal with a lot of calls asking questions about rings when he has no commitment for the job. He wants you to send your stone, and THEN you work out the details of your setting. I knew I wanted the classic solitaire, but once he had the stone we could talk about single or double prongs, the height of the shank, the height of the stone, the width of the shank, etc. There was actually a written contract where I was able to specify these things. So once you have a ballpark idea of cost, then I really understand why he doesn't want to discuss details until he has the stone in hand and knows the person is definitely committing to the project.

That is an absolutely GORGEOUS solitaire (from Leon), and if I didn't already have the one I have, I think I would have that one made! It would be worth it to me to deal with him because that is a magnificent setting! Just send the stone and then talk to him about the setting. I am sure it is a basket setting...just look at any of our solitaires.

Ditto

I am sorry you got treated that way.

FI worked with Leon and I met him when we picked up the ring, and seriously neither one of us could speak more highly of him, I thought he was really lovely and so did FI. He doesn't give many if any details till he gets the stone but once he does he will talk with you can hammer out all the details send you a work order you pay and voila.

FI worked out my ring from combining elements from the pictures on his website (shank, basket, claws etc) the ring you pictured is STUNNING.

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2009 8:04:55 PM
Author: suchende
LOL....my fiance quotes this exact line all the time. Its really annoying when you hear, "Surely you jest" after almost everything. I think he watched that episode about 15 times over the holidays.

Sorry for the thread jack.

got2goldens

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/5/2009 7:28:06 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

=

Yes, I''m still looking for ideas, but I have it pretty narrowed down. I''m not a ring designer, but I know what I like, I just need a designer to describe it to. For example, ''Leon, I really like this one, but I want this and this changed...what do you think...please show me the basket/prong options? Okay...I like this one...great, thanks, done!''

If you can''t tell from my original post, I am just bummed I might be denied, because I love his work and I didn''t think I did anything wrong. I know you don''t know me, but believe me, I am a very courteous, understanding, and patient person, *especially* in a professional environment. My mom always used to tell me ''You catch more flies with honey'' and I agree!!
Why are you being apologetic about some tempermental goofball deciding he''s not doing YOU a favor and making your ring, even though it would cost you thousands?!. What a jerk, you deserve much better dear. I don''t know, but in the world of retail, if I was treated like that, I would take my business elsewhere. It''s not like he''s the only one making beautiful ring mounts. He actually ruined a PS''er''s ring once (who shall remain nameless). She was very unhappy with the outcome because Mr. Mege had to have it HIS way. Who does he think he is, Any Warhol or something? Give me a break!

He doesn''t even give the courtesy of sending the finished product in a box. Instead he wraps it in bubble wrap. This poor lady who received a ring from him had it sent to her in plastic bubble wrap with packing peanuts. That made me insanely angry.

Thanks for the funny title, so appropo.
Rock of Love,
I''m sorry this happened to you. The other posters have a lot of good suggestions for you
9.gif

I, too, loved the title of this thread
31.gif
and had a mental picture going...

TL:
You don''t know me but I have read a lot of your posts and this one was the best! I had a not-so-great day and read your response, and about fell out of my chair! In addition to this, in one of your paragraphs, you referred to Leon as "Mr. Mege" and I totally misread it as "Mr. Magoo!"
This just did me in. DH walked by and I was crying from laughing my a** off!

Sorry for the mini-threadjack but I really needed this...

Kat

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
computer issues

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
leon was so angry by the end of our project he didnt even put his mark/stamp in the ring. it cost more than twice what he quoted because he made the side stones three times as large as they were supposed to be..........among other things............and couldnt believe that i made him change a few things

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I, personally, get the feeling that he''s an ass LOL..I''d never work with him for that reason...there are plenty of other talented professionals to work with imo.

Rock_of_Love

Brilliant_Rock
LMAO!!! I literally just did the same thing when I saw the YouTube link! I just started laughing out of nowhere and my BF and his friend both looked at me like..."what the heck??" Oh, I am so channeling George right now.
31.gif

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah, I am appalled... but I''d still work with him. I have a high tolerance for tempermental artists... and just LOVE his work.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I never told this story, but might as well now. It's been years now have no hard feelings. He sent me an email that my ring would be shipped. It was done. Great news right? But some how it was sent to every client and jeweler that he works with. I can't tell you how many confusing emails I got back. I called him, he was so upset and apologized.

I was furious, as my personal info was out there for all to see. Including my address. I am over it now. I didn't share that here at the time, because I was just too upset.

Then he sent my ring in bubble wrap. Gotta love it.
11.gif
20.gif

There is more to the story, he asked me to keep quiet about the jewelers listed in the blast email.....
31.gif

got2goldens

Shiny_Rock
Sierra,
Too funny! I just pulled up the You Tube link too and about passed out.
The heck with Leon...at least we got a good chuckle out of this!
By the way, please let us know what you decide to do with the stone, all your setting ideas are simply gorgeous
30.gif

Kat

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/5/2009 9:37:51 PM
Author: Kaleigh
I never told this story, but might as well now. It''s been years now have no hard feelings. He sent me an email that my ring would be shipped. It was done. Great news right? But some how it was sent to every client and jeweler that he works with. I can''t tell you how many confusing emails I got back. I called him, he was so upset and apologized.

I was furious, as my personal info was out there for all to see. Including my address. I am over it now. I didn''t share that here at the time, because I was just too upset.

11.gif
20.gif

There is more to the story, he asked me to keep quiet about the jewelers listed in the blast email.....
31.gif

thats HILARIOUS!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2009 9:25:39 PM
Author: bgray
leon was so angry by the end of our project he didnt even put his mark/stamp in the ring. it cost more than twice what he quoted because he made the side stones three times as large as they were supposed to be..........among other things............and couldnt believe that i made him change a few things
32.gif
Yikes!! I think I would die if someone charged me double.
23.gif

eta: do you have a pic of your ring?

etaa: you might want to check out Greenlake too; I saw some pretty scroll work on their website.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2009 9:48:46 PM
Author: bgray

Date: 2/5/2009 9:37:51 PM
Author: Kaleigh
I never told this story, but might as well now. It''s been years now have no hard feelings. He sent me an email that my ring would be shipped. It was done. Great news right? But some how it was sent to every client and jeweler that he works with. I can''t tell you how many confusing emails I got back. I called him, he was so upset and apologized.

I was furious, as my personal info was out there for all to see. Including my address. I am over it now. I didn''t share that here at the time, because I was just too upset.

11.gif
20.gif

31.gif

thats HILARIOUS!
I guess it is?? It wasn''t so funny at the time.
14.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results