shape
carat
color
clarity

Another new guy, wanting a diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

elymt

Rough_Rock
First off, what a wonderful site, thanks for just being here. :)

Looking for an engagement ring, I''m just starting out, and I''m trying to make this as painless as possible. There are so many things to consider that if I''m not careful I''m going to drive myself crazy trying to learn everything at once. What I''d like to do is lay out for you what I''m looking for, what I can spend, and any help you can give me is much appreciated.

What I''ve got is about $4,000 to put towards a round stone. Just using something like Bluenile''s diamond search it looks like I''m around 1.1ct at the top end (size-wise) for a very good, H SI2, all the way to .5ct for ideal G VS1. And all I can think to ask is, given my target amount (I certainly don''t mind going under that, but also don''t mind going slightly over for a great deal) what would the experts be expecting in a good diamond? Put another way, if you had $4,000 to spend, with cut being the biggest factor (but size also being important), what would you hope or expect to find? Can I get a ~1.0ct diamond for $4k that isn''t junk?

Thanks so much!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/23/2009 3:24:11 PM
Author:elymt
First off, what a wonderful site, thanks for just being here. :)

Looking for an engagement ring, I'm just starting out, and I'm trying to make this as painless as possible. There are so many things to consider that if I'm not careful I'm going to drive myself crazy trying to learn everything at once. What I'd like to do is lay out for you what I'm looking for, what I can spend, and any help you can give me is much appreciated.

What I've got is about $4,000 to put towards a round stone. Just using something like Bluenile's diamond search it looks like I'm around 1.1ct at the top end (size-wise) for a very good, H SI2, all the way to .5ct for ideal G VS1. And all I can think to ask is, given my target amount (I certainly don't mind going under that, but also don't mind going slightly over for a great deal) what would the experts be expecting in a good diamond? Put another way, if you had $4,000 to spend, with cut being the biggest factor (but size also being important), what would you hope or expect to find? Can I get a ~1.0ct diamond for $4k that isn't junk?

Thanks so much!
Hi elymt!

Thanks for your kind words!

Just wanted to clarify, is your budget for the diamond only or does it need to cover the setting? The trick with SI2 clarities is to make sure that you check carefully with the vendor that the diamond is eyeclean to your standards, so basically if you don't want to see any inclusions from close scrutiny from any angle, make sure you tell the vendor that so you understand each other. Also SI clarities are not created equal, there are completely eyeclean ones out there so you might have to discard a few before you find the one.

If I was in your position I would look for an eyeclean SI clarity with a great cut and I or J colour ( GIA/ AGS graded) to get the best size for the budget if that is what you would rather, unless you preferred to stick to higher colour and VS clarity. Would you consider I or J colour if we need to broaden our search options for you?

Here are some examples with your colour specs.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5231/

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5381/

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/4535/

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5419/

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1197107.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131

Also don't go by vendor applied labels such as Ideal Cut, the only true meaning of this term relates to AGS0 cut grade, any other won't necessarily get you a well cut diamond.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Lorelie picked out some gorgeous stones, any one would be a good choice.

Here is one more for you to consider. 0.803ct G VS1

It makes things easier to pick out a setting at the same place you get the stone. JA, WF and GOG have a lovely selection of settings and bands.

elymt

Rough_Rock
$4,000 for the diamond only, in the hopes that I can get the setting for around $800 or so; my max budget on the whole thing is around $5k.

I would consider I or J...if it's not (or is just barely) noticeable. Even looking at a diamond in a store, though, under what I'm sure is 100% ideal lighting, I have a hard time telling the difference between an I and a J, or even a J and an H. I could have a J if it means a stone whose color is only noticeable under very close scrutiny, but if J means that you can tell it's a J at a glance, I think I'll have to pass. Does that make sense? From what I'm seeing, though, on GoodOldGold, lying down on a white background I can see the tint of a J, but according to them it's barely noticeable in a setting.

Another question I have relates to actually buying something. If I buy a loose stone from a store obviously I can see the diamond before I buy it; same goes if I order it from someone like Diamond Source of Virginia (just an example of someone in town). But if I order from an online retailer, I'm assuming I can't ever see the diamond, in person, before I buy, is that correct? If it's a trustworthy place I can be alright with that, I was just wondering. Thanks for the help!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only way to not buy before you see it would be an arrangement where it the stone is shipped to an appraiser local to you, and you get to see it in the appraiser's office. You will have to pay the appraiser, and some shipping costs.

Todd Gray

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I think you''ll find that most people on the forum with experience in diamond buying will encourage you to focus on the cut quality of the diamond first, the color second, clarity third and then carat weight. However what range to consider with regards to the last three options is really a matter of personal preference.

Do you want to maximize carat weight and don''t mind if you and your fiance can see a few minor imperfections in the diamond without magnification? Then consider a diamond which is SI-2 / I-1 in clarity. Many people like to be able to see the inclusions within their diamond without magnification because they like the perfection in the imperfection... Being able to see the inclusions is a kind of comfort to many people.

Do you want to maximize carat weight, but don''t want to be able to see inclusions (from a top down perspective) but don''t mind if the diamond color is a little warm? Then consider something in the J-K-L-M range. There is a recent post here on PS that revolves around a beautiful \"M\" color diamond that is worth reading.

Do you want the diamond to be "eye clean" (from a top down perspective) and exhibit little if any body color? Then you''re probably best to start looking in the range of F/G color, VS-2 clarity.

The proportions or cut part of the equation is pretty easy amongst the more popular dealers here on PS, stay within the center region of the spectrum for proportions as dictated by the AGS Ideal 0 proportions rating and that will pretty much be handled for you. The Advanced Tutorial available within the Knowledge section of Price Scope is a must read for anybody beginning their search for the perfect diamond! And be sure to check out the various tutorials offered by the many dealers who frequent the halls of Price Scope because there is a wealth of information to be gleaned from our collective experience! Happy Hunting!

elymt

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/23/2009 5:10:40 PM
Author: JulieN
The only way to not buy before you see it would be an arrangement where it the stone is shipped to an appraiser local to you, and you get to see it in the appraiser's office. You will have to pay the appraiser, and some shipping costs.
Is this commonly done, or would you say it's pretty rare to go that far? For insurance purposes I'll probably have to get it appraised - in the unlikely event that the appraiser grades the diamond differently, can anything be done? If I bought from one of the majors, Whiteflash, Jamesallen, GOG, etc, is there any chance of that happening? I don't mean to sound distrustful, because I'm not, I'm just...careful. :)

Thanks Lorelei and swingirl, I'm checking out those links now.

Whoa, lots of replies came in while I was typing! Thanks a lot, you're a great bunch. Will consider what's posted and get back ASAP.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome Dana! Good to have you on board!
35.gif

EightStar_jr

Rough_Rock
Thank you. Good to be here. EightStar has been silent for too long
2.gif

Cheers,

Dana

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/23/2009 5:29:21 PM
Author: elymt
Date: 1/23/2009 5:10:40 PM

Author: JulieN

The only way to not buy before you see it would be an arrangement where it the stone is shipped to an appraiser local to you, and you get to see it in the appraiser''s office. You will have to pay the appraiser, and some shipping costs.

Is this commonly done, or would you say it''s pretty rare to go that far? For insurance purposes I''ll probably have to get it appraised - in the unlikely event that the appraiser grades the diamond differently, can anything be done? If I bought from one of the majors, Whiteflash, Jamesallen, GOG, etc, is there any chance of that happening? I don''t mean to sound distrustful, because I''m not, I''m just...careful. :)

Thanks Lorelei and swingirl, I''m checking out those links now.

Whoa, lots of replies came in while I was typing! Thanks a lot, you''re a great bunch. Will consider what''s posted and get back ASAP.

It used to be more commonly done. But now, it''s so easy to predict how a diamond will look, that it''s not as usual. Also, people have more confidence in buying online than the used to. No retailer has a no return policy. But there''s no harm in sending it to an appraiser.

It is not unusual for different people to have different opinions on the color and clarity grades, especially in borderline scenarios. If your appraiser has a different opinion, don''t freak out. Just talk it over with your retailer...I think they are quite used to this. I think most people end up keeping the stone they bought.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/23/2009 5:33:08 PM
Author: EightStar_jr
Thank you. Good to be here. EightStar has been silent for too long
2.gif

Cheers,

Dana
You are most welcome and I look forward to reading your posts and learning from you!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results