shape
carat
color
clarity

Crunch Time: Help me Choose!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pedromt

Rough_Rock
Thes three are H&A:

0.8 E SI1 62% 57% GIA thn-st no gd vg no 5.99x5.95x3.7 $3078*

0.8 F VS2 62.6% 55% - ex ex no 5.88x5.95x3.7 $3582*

0.85 G SI1 61.6% 57% GIA thn-st no vg vg no 6.1x6.05x3.74 $3270*

This one is not:

0.81 H VS2 59.5% 55% EGL thn fac no ex ex no 6.14x6.11x3.65 $2480*

Any input would be appreciated. All of these are from Abazias found w/ the Diamond locator on Pricescope.

Thanks,

-Pedro

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Hi Pedro!
wavey.gif

I did a quick check of PS listings. In the price ranges (except the EGL diamond) you listed, you can get a H&A from one of several vendors, Abazia's included.

The .8, F, VS2, is a tad deep. The EGL diamond is tricky as it is a shallower cut.

You should try to get Sarin info from Abazia's if you can. You'll get better opinions with Crown and Pavillion angles. Also, is it Pol/Sym or Sym/Pol?
1.gif

Spyder

Rough_Rock
You might consider sacrificing a bit in color to get a larger size or cut costs. Here are a couple you might consider:

J VVS2 0.91ct 6.30x6.32x3.85

J VVS2 0.85ct 6.09x6.13x3.76

G SI1 0.85 6.14x6.16x3.73

The third diamond has similar specs to one you posted, but the nice thing here is that there is lots of info posted about the stone, so you can see exactly what you are getting. With an S1, you want to be sure it is eye clean.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I think it may be worth your while to get more specs/stats on the EGL stone. EGL stones can be quite pretty at a substantial savings. Unfortunately, sometimes there is a reason for the bargin. The numbers could be interesting & tricky. It is the largest mm size - thus perhaps appearing larger for the money.

Just a thought. Good luck.

pedromt

Rough_Rock
it's sym/pol...

Thanks for all the replies so far...

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Definitely get more info before making any sort of decision. You need crown and pavilion angles on all of the stones you are considering, and more specific Sarin information along with it. Then you can start to compare apples to apples. If you are looking for excellently cut stones, focus more on stones with EX EX or ID ID or at least VG VG etc for symm and polish.

Interesting how a H&A (first one you noted) can be noted as only 'Good' for symmetry when I thought they were for the most part 'excellent' symmetry for *true* H&A?

Try running the 'cut quality' search on Pricescope and you will only find stones that are listed with crown and pav angles so that they are automatically run through the HCA and come back with EX scores. An easy way to filter your searches for only the excellent performers. The link is on the pricescope.com homepage in the upper right of the screen.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Mara~

That could be one of those diamonds the pros talk about. Marketed as H&A but not a true H&A. Someone laser inscribed the girdle before grading so it gets noted in the comments on the Cert.

I considered one before I bought. Once I got the Crown and Pavillion angles, the HCA score came out over 2 with a "Buy if the Price is Right" recommendation. I checked the cut with the AGA Chart, referred to Price Stats, and the diamond was over priced by about $400 as compared to the average asking price of similar Cut Class, non H&A diamonds. Much more when compared to the low asking price.

Definitely need the angles to make a good determination on any of the diamonds.
1.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
That EGL diamond sounds an Isreal lab graded... BE CAREFUL!

I prefer #3 or the 0.91 J VVS posted by spyder.

pedromt

Rough_Rock
Thanks, I've currently found another few I'm considering... will keep you posted.

pedromt

Rough_Rock
Ok, forget those I posted about... what about between these two:
Before I get your advice, my girlfriend over-emphasized before that she didn't want too big of a rock. The only thing I'm concerned as far as ct weight is concerned is that it measure's up to my friend's whose specs u can see here: Friend's Specs

I want my diamond to outdo his by a longshot, my problem is simply that his will look better than any diamond I get on paper, I may know it's better, but those less informed would see that he got a E color as opposed to my inferior color and won't know that EGL standards don't measure up to GIA. With that in mind, these look to be my choices, which I'm sure will outshine and look just as big if not bigger than his .9:

0.857 J VVS2 Table % 55 Depth % 61.5
Crown Angle ° 34 Pavilion Angle ° 40.9 AGS $2,950 -ACA H&A

0.82 J VS2 Table %: 56 Depth %: 61.6
Crown Angle: ° 34 Pavilion Angle: ° 41 AGS $2,583 -ACA H&A

.813 H SI1 Table % 57 Depth % 60.9
Crown Angle ° 34 Pavilion Angle ° 40.9 AGS $3,147 -ACA H&A

.845 I SI1 Table % 57 Depth % 60.7
Crown % 14.5 Pavilion Angle ° 40.9 AGS $2,911 -ACA H&A

I already have the sidestones picked out and they are:
0.328 H VS2 60.7 56 AGS $619
0.326 H SI1 60.2% 57 AGS $547

I spoke to the jeweler on the phone and he told me that he could not see a difference in color between the top J stone & the sidestones with the naked eye, he said he put them all side by side while I was on the phone with him. Please shower me with your expertise once again pricescope
2.gif
Thanks.

your input would be greatly appreciated

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay...a few points here.

First off..maybe you have your own reasons to want to get a bigger stone or better stone than your friend, but who really cares? Do you HAVE to impress someone other than your girlfriend slash future fiance who shouldn't CARE that her stone isn't an E as long as it looks pretty darn good?

Plus didn't everyone just tell you that the stone your friend bought is basically pretty darn crappy? Surely you don't have to do much to impress other than buying a well cut stone over his crappy one. Not to be super blunt but it sounds like you are trying to 'live up to' this great model of a stone purchase, when in fact your friend got taken on a seriously expensive boat ride to nowhere with his stone purchase.

One of the stones you posted below, the H SI .81c ACA stone..which is actually cheaper than what you posted if you use the Pscope search ($2990) IS larger in diameter than your friends stone. It's also very excellently cut, something your friend's stone is not.

http://www.whiteflash.com/acut/diamond_details.asp?ItemCode=462037

Look at the difference on the diameter of that stone vs the one you posted on your friend. We are talking a huge difference in diameter, and if the specs you posted on your friend's stone are right, his stone looks more like a .75c than a .95c. Not a smart purchase.

I would get the .81c H SI1 stone. It will face up much whiter than I or J and as long as it's eye clean, the SI1 doesnt matter. If you want to feel like bragging, say that your stone is a superideal and it is branded and inscribed on the girdle and they are very rare..and that you focused more on cut than the other c's in order to be sure that your girl got the BEST possible look for her stone.

But again, it shouldn't matter what your friend thinks. The bottom line is that even if you can't point out that he bought a crappy stone, you know that YOU didn't sacrifice cut for an E VS stone, that should be more important IMO.

Also 'inferior color' IMO doesn't make sense. Just because he has an E and you are considering an H..I can almost guarantee you that no one will see a difference in color when the stone is set. If you are already worried about color showing, do NOT get a J as that is where it starts to get tricky, and some people even say I is where you can start to see (Though I have seen I's in plat and they look white white). So trust me. If someone is looking at this H SI1 stone vs your friends E VS2 stone, your stone will look BIGGER, just as colorless and as long as it's eye clean, will not notice a difference in clarity. PLUS your stone will look 100000% better because it's a good cut...AND lastly on paper? Who cares about on paper? Are you going to pull out your certs and slap them on your head to wear around? If you do, even then..an AGS cert is hands down more reputable than EGL!

Good luck.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Mara's completely right. Few will grill you about the specs, but when your GF holds up her hand next to your friend's fiancee's hand, you can bet your stone is going to look a lot more impressive. It will not only look bigger and just as white, but most likely it will be a whole lot sparklier. It's all about the cut.

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I would go with the H or I color as well.
10.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Hey Pedro!

I compared H and J color ACA's side by side. You won't see a face up difference! Absolutely!! Positively!!! Guaranteed!!!!
2.gif

I compared both to white gold and platinum. I set each one in a small white gold hoop earring set on white paper in all types of light. Face up, No Difference.

The only difference I noted was when I set each on it's side as if they were stud earrings and put a white gold and diamond earring jacket with each as if wearing them on my ears. Still set on white paper, in all types of light. Face up, No Difference. In indirect sunlight, I repeat, indirect sunlight, the J had a tad more "body" color to it than the H.

My family voted on the 2 diamonds. 2 voted H. 2 voted J. 1 voted flip a coin. Neighbors and friends votes were split as well. All votes were cast before knowing the colors. Everyone was totally super surprised, even shocked, to learn the J was a J color. They had never seen such a white looking "lower" color diamond.

Wanna hear the kicker??? That J ACA looked whiter than my girlfriend's new 25th Anniversary Wedding set she just got with a G color solitaire. HeHe!!!

You cannot stray,
With an ACA!!!
love.gif
love.gif

Watch out HeyJud! I'm getting better!
2.gif

Check on the inclusions in the SI1's. If you find you are not comfortable with color, size, or location, then I would not hesitate one bit to go with either the I or the J ACA. There is no wrong choice here. And, your gal's ring is gonna outshine your friend's sooooo much he will be GREEN with envy!
1.gif

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I have a J color diamond that does not appear yellow either from the side, or top, but in certain lights, just looks a bit 'not as white' as I would like, so maybe if your girlfriend is color sensitive she may notice.
10.gif

pedromt

Rough_Rock
I'm sorry I portrayed myself as so vain in that post. Really it's just a friendly exchange of blows with me and my friend, he's been helping and i've been keeping him posted on my whole buying process. I'm not really as concerned as I may have made myself out to sound! Mara, thank you once again, I really appreciate all your input. PQCollectibles, Brian actually mentioned you by name when I spoke to him and told me about your comparison, thank you, and everyone else who's replied and made this whole diamond buying business a much easier task then I *EVER* would have thought it'd be. I'm getting close to making a decision.

Truly grateful,

-Pedro

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Trust me, Pedro, it was one of the HARDEST decisions I've ever had to make. My kids wanted to just keep both!
2.gif

pedromt

Rough_Rock
you must not have any male children
2.gif
cuz if it were me I woulda told u to buy a car
2.gif

Nate

Shiny_Rock
I'm about to put my money where the J is at. I'll be sure to post results when I get the stones!

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
HeHe, Pedro. I have both. A son, who got his Camaro. And, twin girls, who Daddy dotes jewelry on every chance he gets. I pitty their poor BF's/Fiance's when that time comes!
naughty.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Pedro, like Mara & others pointed out - your friends stone was not the wisest choice - 67% depth..uhgggg!

Any stone you pick out with the help of the crew here is going to look larger & better than your friends. A well cut I stone (even J) in this size has a great chance of facing up white.

My mantra (and I get flamed for it sometimes)Pay appropriately for the specs but....BUY THE DIAMOND *NOT* THE SPECS.

Good luck.

pedromt

Rough_Rock
just becomes a little more difficult when you haven't seen the diamond
2.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 6/5/2003 10:51:25 AM pedromt wrote:

just becomes a little more difficult when you haven't seen the diamond
2.gif

----------------

Yes, you are correct. The specs are important to weed out undesirables. At the end of the day, though, a stone will speak to you. Good luck.

pedromt

Rough_Rock
Mara, when I run that .81 through the HCA it says the girdle is "dangerously thin" should this be a red flag?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pedro when I just ran the #'s I got 1.2 EX EX EX VG on HCA..with no warning?

57% table
60.9 depth
34 crown angle
40.9 pav angle
0 culet (even if it's .6 or something which is typical, it won't make a difference on the HCA score until its around 1.5..)

1.2 EX EX EX VG scoring?

ACA stones have thinner girdles than more typical stones..there have been a few posts on this recently, but the idea is that they are still in the 'okay' range. .7%-1.7% is thin to around medium so you should be fine.

pedromt

Rough_Rock
terribly sorry, not sure what I did wrong the first time. Thanks Mara!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results