shape
carat
color
clarity

Flea Medicine- Need a good one!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

blondebunny

Brilliant_Rock
Okay.. my cats have NEVER had fleas before UNTIL we moved into our new apt, which is brand new... and now they have them, and we cant figure out where they are getting them! We have given them flea baths every 2 weeks or so... and flea collars and then just got the flea medicine from Walmart... But we cant get rid of them, we have even sprayed out apt! Can anyone recommend any kind of good flea medicine or what to do, i hate that my little babies have to scratch themselves because of the fleas! Thanks! ;-)

puffy

Brilliant_Rock
advantage i think works pretty well or frontline i think. you should de-fog your appt again and continue with the flea medicine.
i haven''t tried them, but i have heard that those work pretty well.
your poor cats!

laine

Brilliant_Rock
When we adopted our second kitty, we didn''t realize he had fleas till he infested the whole townhouse and the other cat. I got frontline for both of them (from the vet, no prescription or appointment needed, goes on the back of their neck), and vacuumed the hell out of the house. After two applications of frontline (lasts a month), no more fleas. I''ve heard bad things about flea baths and flea collars and such, so I stayed away from them.

blondebunny

Brilliant_Rock
thnaks! we just ordered some frontline plus for them!!! We are going to flea bath... spray and vacuum apt like crazy and put medicine on! hope it helps them!

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
frontline.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
I use advocate on my kitties, they don''t often have fleas but they picked up a nasty bought of them from the vets last time they were.

Advocate works like advantage in that it kills the fleas and the ones in the surrounding area but it also kills worms and ear mites :).

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The better drops that are effective for a month (I use advantage) will kill the fleas, attract fleas as your cat moves about the apartment and kill them, and kill larvae or as they emerge. A bomb will get the remaining live fleas, and a good house cleaning will get the remaining eggs. Don't forget top empty the vacuum cleaner bag or whatever, so you don't get eggs hatching and fleas escaping to re-infest your apartment. Good luck!

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
I worked for a Vet for about nine years and stil help him from time to time. I agree with either the Frontline or the Advantage. I would stay away from flea baths, they''re really hard on the skin, and only get rid of the fleas temporarily. Flea collars don''t work that well either so I would save your money. The Vet I worked for preferred the "premises" sprays to kill fleas in the carpet et. The spray can be directed underneath tables etc., whereas the bombs have a tendency to "rain" down, but not necessarily get under the objects they need to. Make sure you vacuum under couch cushions etc. as the fleas can get everywhere!

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
Also, talk with your apartment. Mine will pay for any and all necessary pest control so they might be willing to send someone out to take care of spraying professionally.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love advantage, advocate and frontline. You might also have to get a spray for the house.

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
We use Advantage. It''s very effective. We fumigate the house first, give the dogs a bath, let them dry off, then apply the Advantage.

No more scratches.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Flea bombs and a lot of vacuuming. There are probably flea eggs in your carpeting and they can survive for a very only time in their dormant stage. And make sure to empty your vacuum and dispose of the bag.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/19/2009 11:58:35 AM
Author: bee*
I love advantage, advocate and frontline. You might also have to get a spray for the house.
Ditto. Frontline is very effective and easy to use if you get the drops. Also spray the house as Bee says and hoover often, empty the bag outside each time into the trash.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Make sure you do something for the house as well. Flea bombs are one option, but if you want a less harsh alternative, consider Diatomaceous Eart - its less toxic for you and for the kitties.

I'd also ditch the flea collars and baths - at this point they are probably doing more harm than good to the poor cats - the Frontline should do the trick and be much easier on them. Plus there are a few brands of flea baths that were associated with serious adverse reactions in some kitties.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/19/2009 5:35:09 PM
Author: AmberGretchen
Make sure you do something for the house as well. Flea bombs are one option, but if you want a less harsh alternative, consider Diatomaceous Eart - its less toxic for you and for the kitties.
Diatomaceous earth is a great option. Just be sure to wear a mask and vaccum well as it''s really bad for your lungs. Believe it or not, you can even drink it. It''s that safe for consumption, so if it gets on your cats'' fur, it won''t harm them. Just long-term breathing of it isn''t safe.

Flea Bombs are VERY unsafe!!! There was a newspaper artical talking about people dying from them. The most important thing is to be sure all your neighbors are notified. There is no way in h*ll I''d use one!

We use Advantage and it works well.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results