shape
carat
color
clarity

Show us the ring you thought you''d pick and the one you ended up choosing

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

laurel25

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/13/2008 11:09:20 AM
Author: stepcutnut
For our 8th Anniversary my hubby said that he wanted me to design my own ER upgrade and I finally got my EC :)
Your ring is TO DIE FOR!!! I love the profile shot - that is just so awesome looking!

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Laurel-it''s so comfortable to wear :) Someday I''d also like a white N-S set EC ring too
11.gif

April20

Ideal_Rock
I originally thought I wanted an antique inspired ring.... or a three stone. I had a whole file of rings I liked on my computer at one time, but I deleted them, so I don''t have pics of what I thought I wanted. This is what I ended up with..... Long before I''d ever heard the word "halo" (and before I found PS). Not the best picture- I can''t find the macro on my camera.

DSC04410.JPG

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
When D and I started ring shopping (over a year before he finally proposed), I knew I wanted an asscher--I''d had a crush on them since seeing my first one in person in 2001. When I realized how expensive e-rings were, I decided I really, really wanted an eternity band instead. Specifically an asscher eternity a la canuk-gal''s amazing eternity
eternity7.JPG

When I proposed this idea to D, he wasn''t all that excited because he wanted to go the more traditional route and promised an eternity for an anniversary or even wedding band, if I wanted. When we seriously started ring shopping, I fell in love with a ring (my current e-ring), but it was WAY out of what I would consider a reasonable budget. So D and I went to a local B&M to try to re-create the setting and at that point I decided that it wouldn''t be the same and thought a solitaire was the best option for showcasing the asscher--I liked that a solitaire was clean, simple and I could pair an asscher eternity with it. (This is illume''s gorgeous ring)
200802%2023%20Do%20You%20Want%20to%20Marry%20Me%20%20262.jpg

D ended up getting cold feet about proposing/the ring and we abandoned the ring-buying process (I had chosen a 1.3 carat asscher in a plain solitaire setting)--the jeweller was great and very understanding. I moved out of our house soon after and the day I left he bought the original art-deco ring that I fell in love with...and held onto it for another few months. On the positive side, his foot dragging allowed the price of the ring to come down (the jeweller was changing owners and it was to be auctioned) and now it was under budget.

ncwdbands2.jpg

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
When I first thought about being engaged I wanted an EC solitaire.
Then after I saw my first Radiant cut I wanted a Radiant solitaire.
When I actually went looking for engagement rings with my then FI I found out I wanted something a little different... and was drawn to pave instantly.
I decided I wanted a sapphire center, this is what I ended up with (a far cry from an EC or Radiant solitaire!):
bezeled.0003.JPG

One more pic:
bezeled.0002.JPG

CarolynJen

Rough_Rock
the ring me and my boyfriend picked. well actually i picked. maybe a bit out of his price range but he says its worth it if its the one i really want :)

00000000000000000000005000006162.jpg

katamari

Ideal_Rock
Great thread! I started off wanting an EC three stone. But, they ended up setting up too high when I actually tried them on.

kat.first.emerald.three.stone.jpg

katamari

Ideal_Rock
I ended up with an asscher solitaire. Still got all the symmetry and steps I was craving. Just simpler and lower. And I couldn''t be happier.
1.gif

kat.ring.i.ended.up.with.jpg

JustaCatholicGirl

Rough_Rock
I wanted a 3-stone oval because a friend had one before her divorce and I loved it so...

ovalmamacita.jpg

JustaCatholicGirl

Rough_Rock
But I received my RB halo, and I adore it. Knew nothing about halos until fiance'' got me this one, and now I see it''s fairly popular!

P3120012.jpg

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
I love texture and wanted something with either engraving or pave. I got both and my husband proposed with this:

LIBOldRing01.jpg

But then some of the small diamonds fell out (a typical issue with pave) and the jeweler who repaired/resized it did so incorrectly. After that fiasco and realizing I pave wasn't for me, I reset to this (and have been in love with it ever since!):

VCwindow03.jpg

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Too fun! I missed this thread while honeymooning so I'm resurrecting it
9.gif

This is similar to the first thing I tried and loved, long before PS and about a year before I got engaged. Princess center (I think the one I tried was about .80ct), channel-set princesses in the band about halfway around.

XP-1.jpg

And this is what I ended up choosing, an asscher center stone with bead-set side stones about halfway around. As far as composition, it's pretty similar I suppose (square center stone with half-eternity side stones), but it's VERY different as far as the style niche (modern vs. antiquey).

museysweddingband014.jpg

Mediterranean

Brilliant_Rock
GREAT thread!!!

What i thought I wanted was an antique (or antique-style) RB with pave on the band. I did always want plantinum.

hz-ring04.jpg

Mediterranean

Brilliant_Rock
What I got:

Still platinum, still has detail on the shoulders (tapered baguettes), but it is a princess cut. And I have no pave. I decided I''m too much of a brute in my everyday life for pave
41.gif

hz-er1.jpg

Just.Looking

Rough_Rock
What I''ve wanted for the past couple years: Memoire, petite prong (1)
Until I actually started looking at rings and fell in love with the Danhov ME29 (2)
So, I showed FI both rings, and he didn''t care for the halo at all and loved the shared prong, so I got one LIKE the Memoire, but cheaper! (3)

Just.Looking

Rough_Rock
(1) Memoire Petite Prong

Memoire - Just.Looking.jpg

Just.Looking

Rough_Rock
(3) What I ended up with and LOVE - a diamond from James Allen and a setting from Shane.

Just.Looking52.jpg

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/24/2008 6:18:11 PM
Author: Mediterranean
What I got:

Still platinum, still has detail on the shoulders (tapered baguettes), but it is a princess cut. And I have no pave. I decided I''m too much of a brute in my everyday life for pave
41.gif
Medi, your ring is one of my favorite styles. I just drool at your avatar. YUM!

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
What I got:

41.gif
I''m not usually a princess girl, but this is the kind of ring that could make me a convert. Just BEAUTIFUL and so blingy!!

luvbug

Shiny_Rock
I was gung-ho on an emerald cut e-ring. Either a solitaire or I was in love with this style ring for a few years (ever since Chandler proposed to Monica with a diamond/sapphire ering).

EcutSaph.jpg

luvbug

Shiny_Rock
After 18 months of shopping and research together my FI semi-surprised me with this asscher halo. I loves it
30.gif

A100_0155ah.jpg

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
God, that ring is gorgeous Lovebug! I Love love love halos on asschers - something about the contrast b/t the step cuts and the dainty sparkly halo.

Have you seen Ashlee Simpson''s ring over in the celebrity thread? very similar to yours....

rnbwsktles

Rough_Rock
Sorry, I don''t have any pictures yet!

Before I started seriously thinking about it, I wanted a Tiffany-style RB solitaire.

Then I got a ring for Valentine''s Day and thought it would be cool to have an ering that looked similar. My ring looks like a .3 princess, but it''s actually made up of 4 princesses. It''s offset so it looks more like a diamond shape (prongs facing N,S,E & W). It also has 3 small channel set diamonds on each side. I gave up on this idea because I couldn''t find any rings like this at all (this was before I discovered I could get one custom made)

I went back to looking at Tiffany style rings and in the end got a RB in a 6-prong micropave setting.

Does anyone have an offset princess ring?

Mediterranean

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/25/2008 7:22:43 PM
Author: musey

What I got:

41.gif

Medi, your ring is one of my favorite styles. I just drool at your avatar. YUM!

Thank you so much!!! Funny you should say that, I''ve loved your set for a long time. I saw it for the first time on a "wedding bands" thread (or something similar, maybe an "eternities" thread) and i proceeded to search obsessively for any and all photos of your set
9.gif
9.gif

Mediterranean

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/26/2008 12:25:05 AM
Author: Kelli

What I got:

41.gif
I''m not usually a princess girl, but this is the kind of ring that could make me a convert. Just BEAUTIFUL and so blingy!!

Thank you for the compliment! I never thought I was a princess girl OR a baguette girl myself; I have always been way more "into'' rounds set in intricate, detailed antique-y settings, but they didn''t look so great on me when I tried them on. So I guess I''ll just have to drool over all the rounds/pave/antique-y bling on PS
10.gif

soprano87

Rough_Rock
What a fun thread!

In my early 20s, I wanted a simple princess cut solitaire.

On a trip to Prague when I was 25, I fell in love with and bought a 3-stone garnet ring, kind of like this one. I decided I wanted that exact ring, but with diamonds. But then 3-stones got verrrrrrrry popular, and I moved on.

When hubz and I started looking at rings, I fell in love with the Tiffany lucida. That's really what I thought I wanted, until I tried it on. I have small fingers, and the lucida was just too wide on me.

Then I found Pricescope.
1.gif

I immediately fell in love with cushions, the more square, the better. We spent two hours with Mark T., and the decision was made. I toyed with the idea of side stones, but ultimately decided I wanted a solitaire with an interesting basket. I found Leon Mege's site, saw tiger007's solitaire, and I was done. I originally planned on a plain wedding band to go with it, but hubz preferred the bead-set diamond eternity band -- and I certainly wasn't going to argue! Eventually, I want to get a second band that alternates diamonds and sapphires -- to match a band my grandmother wore as a guard ring.

Here's my set. Most days, I absolutely love it. Once in a while, I wish I'd set it a bit higher, but that's about the only thing I question. I would have picked a slightly fatter cushion, had I been in on it, but the stone is just gorgeous and has a lot of fire. My husband did a great job. And I love the basket and band :)

ksm%20ring%202.jpg

ksm%20ring%203.jpg

Nocturnius

Shiny_Rock
What I wanted and still want eventually:

Tiffany Six-Prong

groomsguide.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results