shape
carat
color
clarity

Ordering BM dresses at the same time to match color?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
We need to order BM dresses for my sister''s wedding. How important is it to order them all at the same time make sure the color is the same?

Is that a myth?

It would be quite hard to order all our dresses at the same time/place because we are all over the country. Is it really that big of a deal?

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
IMO Very important to make sure they all come from the same dye lot. My place won''t even place the order till all the girls have their info in.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it depends on the manufacturer. It also depends on how anal your sister is and what the color is. But yes you should always try to order together to get them from the same dye lot...but if it''s a well respected dress company you should be in good hands and/or they should be able to advise you.

lauralu

Brilliant_Rock
everything I have ever been told or heard is about Dye lot. making sure all dresses are cut from the same dye lot (same bolt of fabric) to make certain they all match.

I guess I might have them measured by a bridal shop or tailor where they live, give you the mesaurements and have one wedding shop order all the dress''s. My neice had to do that for her BM''s and than had the wedding shop ship the dresses directly to the BM''s.

I am sure others will have ideas as well......

It''s always a little more stressing when your wedding party all lives in different areas.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
I was in a girl''s wedding last year and we 9the bridesmaids) ordered our dresses from several different David''s Bridals across the U.S. They all ended up matching. To me, it wouldn''t really be a big deal anyway if there were tiny variations in the shade my girls had worn.

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
I decided not to worry about this, and just had my girls all order from the David''s closest to them, and I didn''t notice any different. It just depends on how focused on those kind of details the bride wants to be.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I've been told that the dye lot bit is really a myth...and even the exact same dress ordered from the exact same store for 2 different bridesmaids can come out different. It might not hurt to order together because you usually get a discount, but I wouldn't get your hopes up. On the other hand, subtle variations in the color won't even be noticed. In the wedding I was in a few months ago, we all ordered our dresses separately because it was more convenient that way (4 bridesmaids were spread all across the US, and the bride was actually living in England and planning a wedding in the US). If there was a difference, none of us could tell.

That said, I decided to order from the same place, since it was convenient. 3 of my 4 girls live or have family in southeastern PA, where my wedding venue is, and where an Alfred Angelo store is conveniently located about 5 minutes from my parents' house. The other girl lives in California, and AA shipped the dress to her local AA store for free. So it was easy.

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
I ordered all of my girls'' dresses at the same time, but I ordered from Netbride. The girls were able to pay about 30% less than the cheapest prices at a bridal shop, the dresses arrived just as ordered, and they look gorgeous!

We ordered them at the same time because Netbride won''t guarantee that the colors will match exactly if they are ordered separately. Apparently the dye lot thing is most important for darker colors, especially red or purple. Those colors are the most difficult to match perfectly every time. Sometimes you can''t see the color difference in person, but it might show up on film, especially in daylight.

I''m not sure how important all that is, but I didn''t want to take the risk, so I went ahead and ordered them together.

lauralu

Brilliant_Rock
dye lot = no myth. It may be that darker color matters more though. That could very well be. Dye lots have an actual number to them. There can be big discrepancies in the same color name if cut from a different bolt and dye lot. I have seen it before. I have seen more subtle variations than huge ones. However, yes it does happen and it is no myth.

I guess I would not worry so much about light colors. If you are talking dark burgundy's, reds, purples greens ect. Than I might not chance it.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/4/2009 10:51:08 PM
Author: lauralu
dye lot = no myth. It may be that darker color matters more though. That could very well be. Dye lots have an actual number to them. There can be big discrepancies in the same color name if cut from a different bolt and dye lot. I have seen it before. I have seen more subtle variations than huge ones. However, yes it does happen and it is no myth.

I guess I would not worry so much about light colors. If you are talking dark burgundy''s, reds, purples greens ect. Than I might not chance it.

Ditto, dye lots in fabrics can vary so if it were me I would order all at the same time.

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/4/2009 10:51:08 PM
Author: lauralu

I guess I would not worry so much about light colors. If you are talking dark burgundy''s, reds, purples greens ect. Than I might not chance it.
Hmmm... the color is a light yellow.

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/4/2009 8:33:30 PM
Author: kittybean
I ordered all of my girls'' dresses at the same time, but I ordered from Netbride. The girls were able to pay about 30% less than the cheapest prices at a bridal shop, the dresses arrived just as ordered, and they look gorgeous!

We ordered them at the same time because Netbride won''t guarantee that the colors will match exactly if they are ordered separately. Apparently the dye lot thing is most important for darker colors, especially red or purple. Those colors are the most difficult to match perfectly every time. Sometimes you can''t see the color difference in person, but it might show up on film, especially in daylight.

I''m not sure how important all that is, but I didn''t want to take the risk, so I went ahead and ordered them together.
Oooh never heard of netbride. I''m going to check it out!

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
This is all good info... the dark-color thing is esp. good to know.

I think that if its possible to order them at the same time, why not? Then there''s no worry about one girl not getting her dress on time, etc.

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
As everyone else has said, dye lots are extremely important. The more saturated the color, the more important. Leaving the fabric in the dye an extra 20 seconds or mixing something up slightly differently will lead to totally different looking fabric. I''m a knitter and if I''m going to be working on a large project (sweater, etc) I always obsessively check my dye lots.

Kellybell

Shiny_Rock
I work in retail/manufacturing, and I can tell you that dye lots are very real and very important. Our company has strict QA standards that we adhere to to insure that all of our orders come in looking the same, but I can speak from experience when I say that not all bridesmaid dress companies have guidelines that are as strict. For example, I originally really wanted green bridesmaid dresses, and fell in love with a dress by a certain designer. By chance I ordered swatches of the exact same color in the same fabric from two different locations - a retail store in my state and the company''s headquarters in NY. I was SHOCKED when I received both swatches - because they were completely different. I called the store to ask about it, and they said certain colors are notoriously difficult to match - greens, certain shades of medium blue, etc. The owner of the store told me it was so hard to be certain what shade I would actually get for the wedding, and that if it was going to bother me then I should consider going with an entirely different color. So, I went with navy! :)

Winslet

Shiny_Rock
I''m really not too concerned about the dye lot issue, but my BM dresses will all be ordered at the same time by the bridal shop. Even if it''s true that dresses ordered from different places might not match perfectly, I think a lot of bridal shops play this up so that brides feel the need to place one giant order at only one place.

anniee19

Shiny_Rock
The sales associate at the bridal shop we ordered from definitly recommended ordering them all together so the shades would be the best match to each other, but she did say that many companies are doing a much, much better job at having consistant colors compared to what it used to be like.

MissManna

Rough_Rock
Does it matter so much if the dresses are black or dark brown?

I have found a jcrew style that I really like but it is no longer available on their website. There are a lot of them on ebay and I was going to have the girls get one from there in the near future, as all of their sizes are available.

Nocturnius

Shiny_Rock
I''m personally of the persuasion that the majority of people are not sensitive enough to color to notice slight variations in the color of dresses. It''s an anatomical fact that most people will not notice most shade variations, as their photoreceptors are not that sensitive. The bride may THINK she does because she been told there is a variation, but if you put those shades on a couple of cards and handed them to her, she wouldn''t know any different.

It would be one of the last things I recommend stressing out over or making a big deal out of.

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/4/2009 3:47:18 PM
Author: emeraldlover1
IMO Very important to make sure they all come from the same dye lot. My place won''t even place the order till all the girls have their info in.
Ditto.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results