shape
carat
color
clarity

Cupcake Wedding Cakes.....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tabu

Shiny_Rock
What do you all think about cupcake wedding cakes? This is actually my first post in BWW, I just got engaged on Christmas Eve so not very far in the planning process. I just wanted your opinions on having a wedding cake made out of cupacakes.

Please be honest, if you love idea please say so, if you hate the idea and think it is absolutely hideous, please say so.
1.gif
This is just a thought I have because I personally have never been to a wedding where the cake was cup cakes so your thoughts, ideas and suggestions would be great!

I personally think it could be cool.. different. I like how everyone gets the same amount, it looks better on the plate then just a single piece of cake, and you can top them with whatever you like and all can be different.

Thanks!

meresal

Ideal_Rock
IMHO... cute for a shower, not for a wedding.

ETA: I like the idea better for the grooms cake. My FI likes cupcakes better than cake, so it was tossed around for about a week... but it's just didn't fit the formal feel I was going for.

cammy85

Shiny_Rock
I really think it depends what kind of wedding you are aiming for. If you want a grand cathedral wedding with a similarly grand ballgown and reception, I think whimsical cupcakes would seem a little out of place. But if things are a little more low-key, I think it''d be cute.

But when all is said and done, it''s your wedding, and if you like it, you shouldn''t worry about what everyone else will say! Just enjoy some tasty cupcakes!
18.gif

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
That's what we're doing!
18.gif
It's cheaper than cake, no cutting cost, you can have several different flavors, and since they're becoming more popular a lot of bakeries are doing them up classy.

ETA: We're actually gonna make them ourselves. Have a cupcake party.

Example A:
1.gif

cupcake554502.jpg

buttercup80

Shiny_Rock
We had a cupcake wedding cake! We wanted sort of a whimsical feel for our whole wedding - our favors were candy apples - so it was perfect. .. My mom absolutely hated them, but we it was not her wedding. Oh, well. We did get lots of compliments on them! Here''s a pic of ours:

http://stephanieviolette.zenfolio.com/p202275292/e11dce1bf

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I like the idea, but I''m not using them for my wedding. A few of my friends who recently got married recruited their friends to bake the cupcakes and arrange them on the tree. Unfortunately, I don''t know any good bakers! When I got an estimate from the cake baker for cupcakes vs. a round 3-tiered cake, they were actually quite similar in price. And (how ridiculous is this!) my venue said they would still charge a cake cutting fee even if cupcakes were used and it didn''t involve any servers or plates. So given that it didn''t save me much money, and I liked the tiered cake a lot, I stuck with the tiered cake.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Really?! That''s outrageous...

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
I like the idea! It can look very classy if presented right. I''ve known a few people that did this, and it turned out great!!

ilovethiswebsite

Brilliant_Rock
I LOVE LOVE LOVE the idea. Especially when they make the cupcakes all nice and fancy looking.

e.g.

http://www.lighthousecakecompany.ca/graphics/wedding-cupcakes.jpg

ilovethiswebsite

Brilliant_Rock
I LOVE LOVE LOVE the idea. Especially when they make the cupcakes all nice and fancy looking.

e.g.

http://www.lighthousecakecompany.ca/graphics/wedding-cupcakes.jpg

Actually - many of the weddings I have been to have had cupcake wedding cakes lately. It''s very "in" right now.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
It depends on how formal your wedding is. I do like them, but if you''re going for a more formal wedding, what about mini cakes? Kind of like these: mini cakes!

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I know it seems like a real craze right now and I do think they make a cute cake. But as a nature adult I feel a little silly with a cupcake in front of me. Do I eat it with a fork? Do I have to peel off the paper and get my hands sticky? Do I bite into it like a 5 year old and get frosting on my nose? There is way more frosting than actual cake. To me they are not formal enough for a wedding cake.

honey22

Ideal_Rock
I think cupcakes are perfect! They can be in so many different styles that they can even suit a very formal wedding. They are becoming really popular in Australia. If you wanted more formal look, you could have a small round cake as the top tier to cut or keep, and then having small individually iced round or square cakes instead of cupcakes, they look more formal.

Or if you wanted more whimsical/romantic, you could have just cupcakes with velvet icing or something. You can really dress them up or down, and they are very easy to serve as dessert.

It''s great if you are making them yourself, but they can get pricey if you are ordering them. I was quoted a price per cupcake, and it can get crazy if you are having a lot of guests,

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
We had a fairly informal wedding and had cupcakes. They were delicious and everyone loved them. We did however get them from a special cupcake place in really great flavors, so they weren't your run of the mill cupcakes. Here's the top view of our tower:

IMG_43213333.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey Tabu, I don''t know if you wander into the Family subforum, but there is a really long thread dedicated to cupcakes. You might want to check it out. It can give you flavor ideas at the very least.

I''m ok with the cupcake cake. But I would say that it''s really dependent on how formal your wedding is, as everyone else said...

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Neat! Those cupcakes look incredible. Hmmmmmmm, cupcakes. I could go one right now (ok, I tell fibs, I could probably go like 7)
11.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
sunnyd and nf-those cupcakes look amazing!
18.gif

I really like the idea of it. We''re going to go for a tiered cake ourselves but I see nothing wrong with cupcakes, plus they''re delicious!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/1/2009 4:16:27 AM
Author: honey22
Neat! Those cupcakes look incredible. Hmmmmmmm, cupcakes. I could go one right now (ok, I tell fibs, I could probably go like 7)
11.gif

Can I join you
31.gif
, I could also go for some fresh cream butterfly cupcakes (kinda like the ones sunny posted) with strawberries
18.gif

Winslet

Shiny_Rock
I think it''s adorable! I''d consider cupcakes for my wedding if the venue/caterer that I''d chosen didn''t already include the cake (and they don''t really have experience with cupcakes). Actually, prior to booking my venue I had thought about asking a friend to bake the wedding cupcakes for me, but she''s going to do them for the shower instead. I say go for it, and dress the cupcakes up to be however formal you need them to be
1.gif

pocahontas

Brilliant_Rock
Personally, I like the idea! But, I do agree with Cammy and Freke that wedding-related decisions like this one should match the formality of your wedding. For something ultra formal, I wouldn''t personally go the cupcake route, but I''d have no problems doing something like this for a more casual wedding.

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock
I am doing cupcakes for my wedding, we will have many different flavors and the baker said she will infuse them with fillings! She will also make a small cake for us to cut into!

tabu

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all so much for your input!! I really appreciate it. We are still very early in our wedding planning so I am not sure how formal our wedding is actually going to be. I''m just trying to see where we can save money... my aunt brought up the idea to have a few cupcakes and then a sheet cake in the back for those who still want cake. So, who knows! Still undecided... going to see our first couple reception venues on Saturday! Cant'' wait
1.gif

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
FF told me his Grandmother told him about this option at weddings. (lol!) I personally DON''T like the idea of it at all. But that''s just me. Some people might love the idea. It''s all about what YOU think!!!

MissManna

Rough_Rock
We''re doing cupcakes, with a very small regular cake on top just for cake cutting pictures.
I''m Catholic so the wedding ceremony is formal, whether I like it or not, but the reception is going to be very whimsical-ish with paper flowers and a photo booth and all sorts of crazy stuff. I''m not crazy about icing and I didn''t want to have to designate anyone for cupcake duty, and I''ve fallen in love with all of the great cupcake towers I''ve seen. So it''s a yes! from me!
9.gif

I love them. I''ve known a lot of people to do them! There is this wonderful place where I am that are so
18.gif
delicious. It allows you MANY more flavors, and depending on the cuppie, I''ve seen them for $3-$6 a piece. I think that even at upscale weddings, or one held in a barn, there is a way to do anything classy and cute.

Not to mention it''s totally up to you. Do you enjoy them? Think they''re cute? It''s your wedding!

lauralu

Brilliant_Rock
I like the idea as well......if it is not to formal of a ceremony. As others have stated.

I goggled images for it though and I found this, which I really like. Got me thinking!!!!

cupcake-wedding-cakes02.jpg

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the idea and wanted them for our wedding, but found that they were more expensive than regular cakes. I think they can be used for even the most elegant of weddings since there are so many ways to decorate them.

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
I''ve made a few wedding cakes, including my own. The one that got the biggest ''wow!'' was the cupcake cake. Everyone loved it. I made it for my BFF and unfortunatley I don''t have any digital pics of it. It actually had a base tier of rich fruitcake (traditional wedding cake in the UK) to please older guests. That tier was made double height and the cupcakes placed around it and piled on as a second and third tier, if you can picture that? It was a wedding with a lot of children, so it went down better with them than the usual fruitcake.

I love the idea in theory, but I think they are going to be expensive cakes potentially. It was the hardest cake I''ve done and had to be made just the evening before so it would be fresh.

Congrats on your engagement.

Jen

sweetjettagirl04

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/2/2009 11:45:10 PM
Author: swedish bean
I love them. I''ve known a lot of people to do them! There is this wonderful place where I am that are so
18.gif
delicious. It allows you MANY more flavors, and depending on the cuppie, I''ve seen them for $3-$6 a piece. I think that even at upscale weddings, or one held in a barn, there is a way to do anything classy and cute.

Not to mention it''s totally up to you. Do you enjoy them? Think they''re cute? It''s your wedding!

Hey! should I take offense to that? My reception is in an amazing restored barn! Ha! Just kiddin...
31.gif

Personally, I
30.gif
the idea, and FI and I were talking about this today - it was a no go for him.....

Nocturnius

Shiny_Rock
Depends on EVERYTHING, but the simple answer is: I think it''s awesome.

I think you can pull off cupcakes elegantly at a five-star black-tie affair. I think too many people associate "cupcakes" with "coated in tiny pink flowers and sparkles." When I went to a cake shop, they had a display of what they called "black tie cupcakes" - they were BEAUTIFUL. They put them in these amazing, delicate cupcake papers that were cut the match the design on the wedding invitations, apparently. They were very nicely iced and dusted with a shimmer to make them look really lovely, and they were ver appropriate for the black tie affair they were made for.

They also work with whimsical weddings. Just about any theme you have, cupcakes work. It''s all a matter of taste.

I wanted cupcakes, but we were worried about them being outside and the papers getting soggy (humid weather), so we went with a tiered cake.

If you want it, go for it!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results