shape
carat
color
clarity

French cut sapphires or rubies

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

KtIceRN

Brilliant_Rock
Anyone know a good place to look for french cut sapphires and rubies? I have an OEC I want to set and I think it would look great with a french cut gemstone halo.

Thanks

Sagebrush

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Kt,

The term French cut is mis-used a lot. What is your understanding of the term? Be specific, I have heard a lot of different older cut stones referred to as French cut.

Best,

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d probably just let whoever was going to make the ring source them for me.

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Richard, these are listed as "trapeze French cuts"? Is that correct?

Diamond sapphire ring trapeze french cut.jpg

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
KT, I have no suggestions for your question, but I have to say I love the sound of your project! Did you get inspiration from Fay Cullen?

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I have no idea where to get them, but just wanted to say that you got an OEC?? And you''re putting in a gemstone halo?? SWOOOON!!!! And I thought you were on a project hiatus! I seriously can''t wait to see it, it''s going to be stunning!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/5/2008 12:45:47 PM
Author: Allison D.
Richard, these are listed as ''trapeze French cuts''? Is that correct?
That''s gorgeous, whatever they are. Can''t wait to see what you end up with KT!! Very exciting!!
1.gif

Sagebrush

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
KT,

those look correct from what I can see.

Your best bet would be to purchase a semi-mount if you can fine one that is sized correctly for your center stone.

Best,

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
KT and Allison:

The image shows the crown style for French Cut or Calibre Cut diamonds. They are cut in rectangles, squares and trapezoids. Variations go by many names, especially in colored gems, like Double French or Cardinal Cut.

This cut is much more likely to be found in diamonds than ruby and sapphire. That''s because diamond rough is usually shaped for higher yield when cut in that style.

Richard M.

French Cut - Diamond.jpeg

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/6/2008 2:41:45 PM
Author: Richard M.
KT and Allison:

The image shows the crown style for French Cut or Calibre Cut diamonds. They are cut in rectangles, squares and trapezoids. Variations go by many names, especially in colored gems, like Double French or Cardinal Cut.

This cut is much more likely to be found in diamonds than ruby and sapphire. That''s because diamond rough is usually shaped for higher yield when cut in that style.

Richard M.
Yes..., this is the simple version..., there is another version too..., sorry dont have the sketch!
But the corner triangle facets are split resulting in a different table appearance!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have both versions. I''ll attempt to take pictures once I get my new camera.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results