shape
carat
color
clarity

OMG is THAT real?!?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DMBsGirl

Brilliant_Rock
lol, so i work with high school kids. Today i went with a couple of them who were volunteering at a senior center. A new employee there grabbed my hand in shock and asked "OMG is that REAL?". i replied, also in shock "yes, it''s my engagement ring!" I later come to find out she thought i was a student and was surprised that someone so young would have a diamond ring...... i''ll be 29 next month, lol.....i took that part as a compliment.
2.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lol, that is pretty amusing.

pjean

Brilliant_Rock
Ha. A compliment for both you and your diamond.
3.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve gotten that before too!! I look much younger than I actually am! Great compliments for both you and your ring!

Dannielle

Brilliant_Rock
I get that all the time too.. except I am young.

My ring certainly has ruffled a few feathers of older women who think it is ''unfair'' that my ring is larger than theirs. Its amazing how much tact some people have
3.gif

2Artists

Brilliant_Rock
That is a indeed wonderful compliment!

Mrs.2Artists

Aloros

Brilliant_Rock
*giggles* I get that when I get carded at the store sometimes - that I look much younger (I''m 26). I always grin and say "Thank you!"

But what a nice compliment to you and your ring!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That''s too funny!

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
I love stories like that. Last week one of the surgical techs at one of the hospitals I work at asked if my ring was a cubic zirconia, what? The nurse in the room was like how dare you. And he replied lots of people are doing it these days. I just smiled and said no. He then proceeded to ask me how much money my FI has. What??

Then today, I almost got laughed at when I was telling someone at one of the hospitals that I''ve worked for the same company since college for almost 8 years. He just said, wow, I thought you were like 24 or something. I''m said nope but I really hope that continues.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve had people ask me if my ring was real too
20.gif

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Being asked if my ring is real is a problem I hope to have some day
3.gif

But no-one has ever asked me if my marriage is real, so I guess that''s the big picture sorted! lol
2.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
one time when we were having dinner in a restaurant. a lady stop by our table and ask my wife... "is that ring real"?

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Yay for being mistaken for a student! I like those kinds of compliments even more than the ones about my ring!

anyname

Shiny_Rock
oi, i dunno know about people sometimes. I used to teach high school and people would ask me if i was a teacher of a student fairly frequently, i was 26 or so at the time. No one has asked about my ring, but i don''t know what i would say if someone did insinuate that it was fake.

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
People just get confused when you don''t seem to "fit" their picture of who you should be, or where you should be, or what your attire should be, etc. It''s very frustrating to some people, so much so, that they apparently feel they have to comment on the chaos you''ve inserted into their stereotype-driven, orderly method of dealing with people they deem to be "exactly like you."

I''m a 24-year-old lawyer who looks like a high-schooler (toward the freshman side of the spectrum), and here are a choice few of the comments I received in the last couple days (and the rebuttal that went through my head, though at the time I just rolled my eyes and acted annoyed because I''m a big chicken and hate confronting people):

-- "How come all you young girls just loooove wearin'' these big ol'' fake rings on your wedding finger [points at my e-ring]? How are you gonna pick up a man if they thinkin'' you taken?" (I got the man, and it''s definitely not a fake.)

-- "Are you suuuuure you''re a lawyer? ''Cause you look like that high school intern they had in here a while ago. Is someone gonna come make sure you don''t screw up?" (I was her lawyer. I tried the case with little help from anyone else. I won.)

-- "How long you been married? ''Cause you know you too young, and you are gonna be gettin'' a divorce real soon." (I''m not married quite yet, but thanks for that invaluable insight.)

Time to let these ridiculous comments about your ring or your [fill-in-the-blank] be the water off the proverbial duck''s back. I find them fairly amusing at this point.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
haha kittybean, those were funny stories
1.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
These are funny.
Oh Kittybean, I hope you got a thankyou, if not an apology, from that silly lady who thought you would "screw up"..
20.gif

I used to read on this site how much ppl disliked strangers grabbing their hand/touching their ring.
I didn't really understand, until I got my upgrade.

The other day, a lady complimented me on my ring, then leant over and pressed her index finger right on the table of my nice clean diamond
40.gif
Now, I understand..lol
You feel like saying, I know which ring you're referring to without you having to touch it...
5.gif

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/12/2008 5:25:43 AM
Author: arjunajane
These are funny.

Oh Kittybean, I hope you got a thankyou, if not an apology, from that silly lady who thought you would ''screw up''..
20.gif

I used to read on this site how much ppl disliked strangers grabbing their hand/touching their ring.

I didn''t really understand, until I got my upgrade.

The other day, a lady complimented me on my ring, then leant over and pressed her index finger right on the table of my nice clean diamond
40.gif
Now, I understand..lol

You feel like saying, I know which ring you''re referring to without you having to touch it...
5.gif

OMG how freaking annoying is that, I have had a few people do that and the tapping, whats with the tapping????

One friend after fairly well almost demanding to try it on proceeded to rub her finger all over the ring REPEATEDLY and then stare at it, I don''t get what your looking for URGH.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/12/2008 6:09:08 AM
Author: Deelight

These are funny.

Oh Kittybean, I hope you got a thankyou, if not an apology, from that silly lady who thought you would ''screw up''..
20.gif

40.gif
Now, I understand..lol

You feel like saying, I know which ring you''re referring to without you having to touch it...
5.gif

OMG how freaking annoying is that, I have had a few people do that and the tapping, whats with the tapping????

One friend after fairly well almost demanding to try it on proceeded to rub her finger all over the ring REPEATEDLY and then stare at it, I don''t get what your looking for URGH.
Oh YES dee, the *Tapping*, lol ! I know just what you mean.
40.gif
41.gif

That friend of your would''ve irked me too!
I don''t mind at all when ppl ask to try my ring on, I find it flattering (only ppl I know well of course), but I always cringe a lil when they grab it by the diamond to hand it back...I guess "normals" just don''t get it, hey ?
2.gif

That woman was probably about the third of fourth to do that kinda thing, I''ve also had the tapping - I dunno maybe they think they can suss out if its fake, lol..

Ah well, small price to pay for wearing beautiful rings I guess !
5.gif

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/12/2008 7:05:16 AM
Date: 12/12/2008 6:09:08 AM

Author: Deelight

These are funny.

20.gif

40.gif
Now, I understand..lol

5.gif

Oh YES dee, the *Tapping*, lol ! I know just what you mean.
40.gif
41.gif

That friend of your would''ve irked me too!

I don''t mind at all when ppl ask to try my ring on, I find it flattering (only ppl I know well of course), but I always cringe a lil when they grab it by the diamond to hand it back...I guess ''normals'' just don''t get it, hey ?
2.gif

That woman was probably about the third of fourth to do that kinda thing, I''ve also had the tapping - I dunno maybe they think they can suss out if its fake, lol..

Ah well, small price to pay for wearing beautiful rings I guess !
5.gif
Yes a small price when you know the US cleaner is at home waiting
36.gif

I think you might be onto something though what a real diamond is meant to sound like I have no idea
28.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Me neither, and I''m positive they don''t ! - who knows what they''re thinking, lol...and yes, I keep a polishing cloth in my diary, it comes everywhere with me.
*confession*
9.gif

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/12/2008 7:38:18 AM
Me neither, and I''m positive they don''t ! - who knows what they''re thinking, lol...and yes, I keep a polishing cloth in my diary, it comes everywhere with me.

*confession*
9.gif

Brilliant, I usually just stealthy try to rub their finger prints off with my shirt when they are not looking
31.gif

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
You guys are cracking me up! It truly is amazing how tactless people can be.
20.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results