shape
carat
color
clarity

Cat adoption dilema (urgent, with pictures)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lala2332

Brilliant_Rock
nina, nina, nina.....it was meant to be!

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
take nina, there is nothing like a kittie full of love, i always go for the lovey ones....

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Nina...but get her a friend! Are there any other kitties that you bonded with? When my SIL adopted her kittens, she found two that she bonded with (separately) and then Animal Control made sure that the kitties were caged together. By the time she picked them up a day later, they were completely bonded.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I'd never say to not get a cat just because shehe didn't like being held...my Gracie still hates it but she's a love bug. Vinnie, on the other hand, let me hold him for about 15 minutes at the shelter...Also, these are cats we're talking about...not dogs and they are in cages with tons of people around...cats are such creatures of habit, they aren't going to be themselves in that situation...I try not to judge 100% by the shelter behavior...If you want a 100% guarantee of a lap pet, get a dog.

I generally take the ones that aren't so obvious and that might be a little harder to adopt and generally go for the not so cute mostly black ones..I'm just drawn to them. I have to say that the way Nina is sitting in DH's arms melts my heart!!!!!!!!!!

Take the one that your heart connects with!

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/7/2008 2:02:18 PM
Author: Elmorton
Nina...but get her a friend! Are there any other kitties that you bonded with? When my SIL adopted her kittens, she found two that she bonded with (separately) and then Animal Control made sure that the kitties were caged together. By the time she picked them up a day later, they were completely bonded.
As I write this my latest fosters, two young sisters, have been playing with each other for the past 20 min non stop, while my older boy watched them with a look of disdain
2.gif
. I''ll second Elmorton''s suggestion to find another similarly aged kitten to adopt with Nina, there''s NOTHING that can replace a companionship of another kitten for a kitten. And nothing more entertaining!
2.gif

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much for all your kind suggestions! We are heading out right now to adopt Nina. Wish us luck!!
ps: she is going to have two loving big brothers waiting for her ta home!
pps: pictures of her in her new home will be uploaded later, if everything goes well!

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Yayyyyy!!!!!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
yay looking forward to the pictures!!

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/7/2008 2:11:30 PM
Author: moremoremore
I''d never say to not get a cat just because shehe didn''t like being held...my Gracie still hates it but she''s a love bug. Vinnie, on the other hand, let me hold him for about 15 minutes at the shelter...Also, these are cats we''re talking about...not dogs and they are in cages with tons of people around...cats are such creatures of habit, they aren''t going to be themselves in that situation...I try not to judge 100% by the shelter behavior...If you want a 100% guarantee of a lap pet, get a dog.

I generally take the ones that aren''t so obvious and that might be a little harder to adopt and generally go for the not so cute mostly black ones..I''m just drawn to them. I have to say that the way Nina is sitting in DH''s arms melts my heart!!!!!!!!!!

Take the one that your heart connects with!
I can identify with this post. Our most recent cat is one we adopted when I went with my MIL to a shelter so SHE could find a kitty. LOL! My heart just melted for a 14 year old male named Whitney. He''d been at the shelter for 4 years and no one wanted him because he wasn''t a young cat. He''s quite handsome too...all white with one gold eye and one blue eye.

He refused to let himself to be picked up by anyone at the shelter. When I went back to the shelter to adopt him, the worker couldn''t get him to come out of the cage, but as soon as I sat down, he immediately walked over to me, jumped up on my lap and fell asleep. It was like he could sense that I was there specifically for him.
1.gif

He doesn''t like to be held at all, but he snuggles with us and is almost always in the same room as us.

AnitaT

Shiny_Rock
Woo hoo! Yay Nina!
happyclappyguy.gif

This is my Nina dance
dance_3_7.gif
She is one lucky little girl.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
ditto...I would take Nina.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
I figured anyone willing to have 4 cats would be willing to have 5
2.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yay for Nina!!!!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock

That''s so sweet Orbaya! I always say I''m drawn to the "ugly" and difficult ones and husband is like WHAT? lol..Not you, DH :)

With my Scotty, you could tell he was a lover, but when they went to put in the crate, he ran around for about 10 minutes until they were able to catch him..they thought we''d change our minds LOL..Poor guy then totally hyperventilated and actually cried (I''d never seen kitty tears before)..all the way home...He hid for several days and then the most magnificant, loving creature revealed himself! Poor guy wasn''t with us for long since he ended up having FIV and heart and kidney disease (nice) but he was one of the great ones...I''m glad you''re enjoying your Whitney and that you gave a middle aged chap a chance!!

Anyhoo...sorry to steal the thread away...I''m SO excited to see pix of Nina...that is one freakin adorable cat who also didn''t have an easy start!!! I love it when cats are adopted..you''re literally saving someone''s life where they are just a victim of circumstance!!! I love it!!! CONGRATS AND GOOD LUCK!

2Artists

Brilliant_Rock
Those pictures of your DH and Nina are so sweet. She looks like she feels so happy, content and safe with you guys. And it sounds like she really needs that in light of all she has been through.

Mrs.2Artists

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats on adopting Nina! She''s a beautiful little kitty.
1.gif

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We''re waiting for pictures of Nina in her new home! Good luck!

MishB

Brilliant_Rock
Oh lordy! Nina is so adorable. I am so glad you decided to give her a good, loving home. She reminds me of my Audrey, who we adopted in April. Apparently she had been in the shelter for almost 6 months, they had almost given up hope that she would find a home, although I don''t know why, she is so loving and gorgeous. She had become severely depressed and so wouldn''t come out of hiding, but she did for me, and curled up in my arms, I couldn''t leave without her.

auds.345.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Audrey is beautiful!!!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Please take lots of pics of Nina for us!

For anyone searching this thread in the future - some cats can take a little while to warm up but the lack of an instant bond doesn''t mean it will never happen....my Chloe was terrified of men (she''s terrified in general, but even moreso of men) and wouldn''t let DH come anywhere near her when we were dating...now when I leave in the morning, I see her curled up in his arm while they''re both sleeping, so sometimes it just takes a little time.
1.gif

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
So glad you are getting Nina. I wouldn''t worry about her sight that much, the old stinker in my avatar became blind, but he beats up on the puppy with no problems at all. Not certain if he knows he can''t see, when the canopener comes out, he flies towards the kitchen! The only prob arises when we move furniture without him supervising.

blondebunny

Brilliant_Rock
yay! im glad you are adopting Nina- I tried to post last night and say get Nina or my FI will want her! hehe :) cant wait to see pics!

newsboysgrl777

Shiny_Rock
How did things work out with Nina?? Can't wait to see pictures, although I wouldn't be surprised if she was a little bit skittish and shy at first. But, please, update us about this?? I feel like I'm holding my breath to make sure everything went okay!! :)

I'm so glad you were able to adopt her, as in your original post, it sounded like, because of her partial-blindness, they weren't going to let her go?! I probably just mis-read. :)

ETA: It might be best to confine her to one room for now to let her adjust, and also let the other 2 (are they cats or dogs?) get used to having another animal in the house. I made that mistake with my 2 cats and 6 years later, I'm still regretting it... :|

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Just had to say I am misty-eyed writing this!!!

I can understand your dilemma, but I would have done the same thing... Nina chose YOU and that''s not nothing. And after what that sweet baby has been through... I am soooo happy for her. I hope and pray the other 2 angels (and ALL the sweet kitties without homes) find wonderful, loving, forever homes, too... but the sad reality is that there are always more of them than we can take in.
39.gif
I can hardly bear that thought!

But you have done a wonderful thing... and I wish you all many years of delightful companionship and love. Enjoy your beautiful new baby and we want a kajillion pictures, please!!!
36.gif

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m glad you decided on Nina. She needs compassionate people.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
She is so cute and stretchy! Congrats on your new little baby.
1.gif

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
OMG the picture of Audrey is just beautiful
30.gif
30.gif

Can''t wait to see pics of new baby Nina
36.gif

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
You made the right choice choosing Nina. Cats and dogs do very well without vision. I have a Shih Tzu who has lost all vision in one eye and he is perfectly fine.

On the other hand, cats could take longer to bond. I adopted Meow Mix and he was about to be put down because they felt he was too aggressive and not adoptable. We had a tough first week but he is now the sweetest cat. He loves to sit on your lap all day long and he cuddles during bed time. Aggressive .. no way. We also have another cat, Kit Kat, who had an amazing personality from day 1. She still has an amazing personality.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sure that she will be very happy with her new family!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results