shape
carat
color
clarity

Asscher color??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Miss Fortune

Brilliant_Rock
What''s the lowest color grade you would go?? I''m thinking F but I''m wondering if I shouldn''t try to get a bigger stone by going with a G. Thoughts??

p.s. I have a D now but it has medium blue fluro and I''m not a fan.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
H in 1.5ct and under maybe larger.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
After seeing in person, a 2.5 ct. H VS2 loose Asscher and played with it in all kinds of light, I would definitely look at Hs in a larger size.

I own a .71 ct. G VVS2, bezeled, and as long as it's clean, I can't see colour in it. The longer it goes between cleanings, the warmer it looks.
2.gif

Moh 10

Brilliant_Rock
It also depends on the setting.
If an asscher is in a tension setting or one in which you can see much of the diamond from the side I'd keep the color up.
If the side is not very visible I'd let the color drop a little.

Size matter also.
A large G will show more yellow than a small G.

Clearly the only solution is to rob some banks to up your budget.
22.gif

Miss Fortune

Brilliant_Rock
I''m going for a 2ct stone so my gut is telling me to stay with F VS2. But I''m still looking at G''s with Ex polish. Thanks for your opinions.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/23/2008 2:15:05 PM
Author: Miss Fortune
I''m going for a 2ct stone so my gut is telling me to stay with F VS2. But I''m still looking at G''s with Ex polish. Thanks for your opinions.
G in 2ct should be fine for many people.
Can you look at some EC or SE locally in that size range?

Moh 10

Brilliant_Rock
2 carat VS2 asscher?
I'd probably be more comfortable keeping that at VS1, but that's just me.

Isn't the VS2/SI1 region borderline eye-clean depending on the inclusion, and the viewer's eyes and expectations?
I think of GIA's VS2 as not being guaranted eye-clean, especially in a large stone with large facets like an asscher.
Plus if it is set in a setting that allows you to see the side of the stone keep in mind clarity grading is done face up.
I have read here that an objectionable inclusion seen only from the side will not be considered when a lab grades clarity.

I realize grades are not absolute and scientific but rather an attempt at objectivity subject to human judgement and grading standards.
A VS2, or any grade below a few steps below FL, can have many less-noticeable white inclusions off near the girdle or a single relatively large honking black one right in the middle.

I'm just saying if you go with VS2 make sure you are okay with your particular stone's inclusions.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/23/2008 2:23:21 PM
Author: Moh 10
2 carat VS2 asscher?

I'd probably be more comfortable keeping that at VS1, but that's just me.

Isn't the VS2/SI1 region borderline eye-clean depending on the inclusion, and the viewer's eyes and expectations?

I think of GIA's VS2 as not being guaranted eye-clean, especially in a large stone with large facets like an asscher.

Plus if it is set in a setting that allows you to see the side of the stone keep in mind clarity grading is done face up.

I have read here that an objectionable inclusion seen only from the side will not be considered when a lab grades clarity.

I realize grades are not absolute and scientific but rather an attempt at objectivity subject to human judgement and grading standards.

A VS2, or any grade below a few steps below FL, can have many less-noticeable white inclusions off near the girdle or a single relatively large honking black one right in the middle.

I'm just saying if you go with VS2 make sure you are okay with your particular stone's inclusions.

All asschers need to be seen and photographed before remote purchase so the vendor can weed out the few non-eyeclean vs2 that are out there in the 2ct range.
It is more of an issue with 3ct and up than with 1 or 2ct

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
If you''re color sensitive, I''d probably keep it to a D - F. I looked at several asschers from D - H and ended up settling on an F. I may be riding the crazy train, but there have been a couple of instances where I think I''ve seen just the slightest tint of color in my F...it may be a low F.

I think it''s safe to say that most VS2s are eye-clean, but I don''t think it''s a guarantee. I have a crystal near the center of my table and if my stone is super duper clean and I find it with a loupe first, I can see it with my naked eye. It''s a VS2. I never found an eye-clean SI1.

Miss Fortune

Brilliant_Rock
thanks so much for the replies everyone. Good info and lots to think about.

Karl, I''m going to look at a F/VS 1 this week and I''m really digging some of the James Allen stones. Waiting for a call/email from Jim on some of those. I''m pretty particular about windmill shape and steps so I''m hoping to find a beauty.

I know you guys won''t believe it (esp. Karl) but I have a totally eye clean GIA SI1. There is only one little flaw seen with a loop and it is hidden behind my claw. I almost didn''t believe it myself!!!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/23/2008 3:11:46 PM
Author: Miss Fortune

I know you guys won''t believe it (esp. Karl) but I have a totally eye clean GIA SI1. There is only one little flaw seen with a loop and it is hidden behind my claw. I almost didn''t believe it myself!!!
I believe it but they have to be seen to be believed and calling them in is a losing proposition.

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
i hyave a 5 carat vs2 EC that is 1000 eye clean (and i can see everything)--in fact everyone who has seen it thinks it should be a VS1..................dont omit a stone just b/c its vs2. i wanted a vvs2 or vs1 and this was the best stone i found. In fact i almost bought a vs1 stone that you could see the inclusions................

Miss Fortune

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/23/2008 5:13:18 PM
Author: bgray
i hyave a 5 carat vs2 EC that is 1000 eye clean (and i can see everything)--in fact everyone who has seen it thinks it should be a VS1..................dont omit a stone just b/c its vs2. i wanted a vvs2 or vs1 and this was the best stone i found. In fact i almost bought a vs1 stone that you could see the inclusions................

oh yeah, I''m definitely not dismissing a nice VS2 - I wouldn''t mind a nice looking SI1.

lovewhitediamonds

Brilliant_Rock
my personal limits on an asscher is GVS2.. and I would (and this is just IMHO) look for a stone with no flourscence.

mommy2iz

Brilliant_Rock
i say take the numbers/certs, etc with a grain of salt. grading is done by subjective human eyes. there are so many shining examples on here of stunning SI1, SI2 stones in colors across the spectrum....ask to see excellent cuts only, and then start weeding out stones that don''t meet the criteria set by your own eyes.
good luck!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results