shape
carat
color
clarity

How to pick an engagement ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
I have to write an article for a local bridal website my company is building. I''ve volunteered to write the "How to pick an engagement ring" article because after years on PS I think I can do this without a lot of problem. If anything, I think I could give TOO much information. This would be an article aimed toward the general public, especially young men who are looking to get engaged.

Here''s what I''m thinking of including so far:

The basic 4 C''s that everyone expects to read (including stone shape options)
Information on cut although it will be much more general than people get into on PS (Why some rings sparkle more!)
How to figure out the ring style your prospective fiance would like (tips such as looking at her other jewelry, her clothing, her life style, etc.)
Gold, white gold or platinum
Cost estimates
Alternatives such as colored stones
Possibly online resources such as PS IF I can get them past the editors

What did I miss? Remembering this needs to be a very basic style of article? Guys, what would have helped you?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sounds like a great start. What about "How to figure out her ring size", "why most ebay deals are too good to be true", "if you have no clue what she wants, ASK HER", "before picking out a tension set ring because it''s "cool" make sure she really likes the style", "remember that the ring is something SHE will wear, so pick it with her tastes in mind, not your own".

1.gif

laurel25

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/20/2008 2:33:25 PM
Author: neatfreak
Sounds like a great start. What about ''How to figure out her ring size'', ''why most ebay deals are too good to be true'', ''if you have no clue what she wants, ASK HER'', ''before picking out a tension set ring because it''s ''cool'' make sure she really likes the style'', ''remember that the ring is something SHE will wear, so pick it with her tastes in mind, not your own''.

1.gif
LOL! So true, so true!
9.gif

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Thanks. I like the ebay and tension setting ideas!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Great ideas Neatfreak!

IslandDreams - I can't wait to see the article when you are done. Please share.

Some more suggestions:
1) Pros and cons of going custom, get a ready made setting or get a "big name" e-ring. Why you might want to go each route?
2) Defining some of the key terms beyond the 4Cs - ex. Tension set, channel set, pave ...
3) Elaborate on diamond shapes to include some high points on what to look for in each shape

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Add in stone size preferences from the ladies POV where possible!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Budget, that the two months salary "rule" is made by DeBeers, and to buy what you can afford, not what you think you should.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
*Upgrades; keep the orig e-ring or not? Buy what you can afford now and upgrade later? Does this destroy the sentiment?
*How to choose a wedding band, should you keep the WB in mind when shopping for an e-ring?
*Don't forget about other occasion jewellery - women shouldn't always have to ask for an anniversary or maternity ring...
*Anniversary rings, push presents - should they all match the e-ring?
*Propose with the ring or not?

Steel

Ideal_Rock
* Heirloom rings - Would she want a ''used'' ring, Should it be re-set, Is it the right shape?
* Who gets the ring if you break up
32.gif
?
* Can you recycle a ring/diamond from an ex?
* How to sell a diamond/e-ring?

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/22/2008 6:06:50 AM
Author: Addy
Budget, that the two months salary ''rule'' is made by DeBeers, and to buy what you can afford, not what you think you should.
Definitely!

katamari

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/20/2008 2:33:25 PM
Author: neatfreak
''if you have no clue what she wants, ASK HER''

1.gif

I just wanted to echo this point by neatfreak. I think that the changing cultural gender dynamics is really impacting engagements, and a good article would address this.

If this is beyond the scope of your article, the site could include another article on why you should (or might want to) include your girlfriend in the engagement process.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results