shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with reset decision!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gicki55

Rough_Rock

Hey all! I am really struggling with a decisoin. I am thinking about resetting my ring because I believe my setting (I know this sounds crazy) has too many diamonds and takes attention away from my center stone. In addition, I feel that when you look at it all you see is a glob of diamonds. I orginially helped my hubby pick this out... the center stone was a family heirloom so I felt that I needed to get more out of this so I went for one with a lot of diamonds! Don''t get me wrong I do love my ring but I feel another set may make me happier.

Pros to changing:
center stone will pop more
will be more comfortable becuase I won''t have three bands
It is the originally setting that I loved
The jewerly company where I got it will do an even trade with me so it won''t cost me any more money

Con''s:
afraid down the line I will miss the bling bling of my original ring
lost value due to trade in

center stone 1.4ct
J in color
18kt white gold
eye clean and cut very well

the three 18kt white gold bands each have .60ct weight on them with H color

I would be trading it in for a plain 14 kt white gold solitaire band
paired with a channel set 14 kt white gold 1 ct half eternity band

I have enclosed pics of my ring and a version of a ring that will be very similar to what I am looking at!
My ring size is a 6.5 for reference purposes.

Any advice or input would be much appreciated!!

ring 1 (2).jpg

gicki55

Rough_Rock
pic 2

ring 2 (2).jpg

gicki55

Rough_Rock
pic 3

ring 3 (2).jpg

gicki55

Rough_Rock
I am having a hard time finding the ring I am talking about but it is a simple solitaire with a channel set band to go with. If you have that please post a pic to help me out! Thanks! :)

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree your diamond is lost in that setting. The new idea sounds lovely!

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the shot of that band, it is beautiful, hope you get what you want, your stone does kinda get lost with all those rings.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t think you are crazy at all. Too much can be too much sometimes.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have you tried wearing your current engagement ring with just a plain wedding band? I know the set you''d like will have the diamonds on the wedding band rather than the engagement ring, but it would give you a good idea of what it might look like on your hand and with your particular diamond.

ficklefaye

Brilliant_Rock
i think you should go for it if it is the original setting that you really loved, i also picked my original setting (a little over a year ago) but later realized that it wasn''t what i wanted after all, if you go for a simpler setting, are you going to keep any of the bands you have? or have you thought of a setting with not quite so many diamonds?

edl

Shiny_Rock

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Your diamond is beautiful! If it were mine, I''d go with the more simple setting too. Your stone doesn''t need that much back-up IMO.

gicki55

Rough_Rock
Diamondseeker''s set is very close to what I want.

I have not thought about putting my wedding band with just a plain band... that is a good idea. Except I don''t know how it will look with the square shape of mine... thoughts?

Has anyone ever done something like this? And did you regret it in the end?

I just am afraid of missing it due to sentimental reasons and getting screwed as far as losing value with the trade in

gicki55

Rough_Rock
ficklefaye: you said you changed your setting too... what kind of changes did you make? Do you ever regret your decision?

ficklefaye

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/18/2008 11:23:48 PM
Author: gicki55
ficklefaye: you said you changed your setting too... what kind of changes did you make? Do you ever regret your decision?

haha, still in the process, but i''m actually going the opposite from you, i''m going from a solitaire to a setting with small sidestones, my diamond just seemed so lonely, so i chose a setting that will give her some friends

i''m still pretty new here, but i have received many suggestions, i thought i would love the traditional solitaire but it just didn''t work for me, if you are used to all the bling, you may miss it (bling withdrawal), have you considered maybe smaller sidestones? a little bling goes a long way
1.gif

pwendyp

Shiny_Rock
You have a gorgeous set there, but perhaps a few too many diamonds? Gawd - is that possible?!

I'm thinking like one or two others here, how about a plain band to wear with your e-ring...

When I looked at your set side on...I saw a change in the head of the ring perhaps working too, perhaps more 'swoopy' and 'curvy' and perhaps lower set?

I wonder, if you are already considering the cost of a 'swop' - what about getting a wax made, to the exact profile of your rings, in a plain band.

Then, you could wear - e-ring and plain band - plain band and one eternity - plain band and eternity each side - or e-ring, plain band and one eternity.

You get to keep your set, but just the addition of one exact profile plain band...gives you many wearing options!!

Looking forward to seeing what you choose!

1.gif

eta...or...get the wax made, and have 2 plain bands made...wear one either side of your e-ring?

so many options!! argggggggggggggg!

Buffy01

Shiny_Rock
Hi gicki55 I kinda agree that all the diamonds do take away from your center stone. I am letting you see my set, which I had my center stone reset on a 3.5mm euro shank from a 2mm. my center stone is a 1.52ct J VS2. Hope this helps out.

P6080012.JPG

kboggs315

Shiny_Rock
Go for the plainer set if you want your diamond to pop. Clean, clearcut lines are the perfect enhancement to a gorgeous center stone. My DH tried to talk me into a tension setting when we talked rings. Noooo.... I had to have the bling. I got it... and nothing but missing diamonds, issues, and tears. Lots of heartache. I finally took his request into consideration.. and now am the happy tearfree owner of a gorgeous ring with my center stone as the solo star!

beforeafterkrisring.jpg

gicki55

Rough_Rock
pwendy - those are great suggestions! But again I am concerned with the fact that my rings are square so I don''t know if a plain band will look wierd...

gicki55

Rough_Rock
buffy - that is the exact look I am going for! If I might ask, what size are your fingers?

gicki55

Rough_Rock
Kristen - I think your reset looks better too! Did you keep the last bands or trade in? If so, do you miss your bling and did you lose any value with your trade in?

kboggs315

Shiny_Rock
I traded the other bands in. Yes, I ended up paying more for the tension setting.. but only due to the cost of the tensions setting... the band for the diamond actually cost more than both of the other bands together. But, this ring is so worth it. The quality, the workmanship...all exceptional. The turnaround time wasn''t horrible..well, it was for me but I''ve heard worse. And the heaviness of this ring is unbelievable. You don''t realize it till its in hand. It is a solid piece of jewelry. I have NO fear wearing it. The plain heavy comfort fit wedding band, other than being slightly smaller in width, matches beautifully. I got it off of ebay for $65..the jewelry store wanted $300.

Now, do I miss the bling? Sometimes. Like when I am under flourescent lights and my diamond is blinding me.. I used to love looking at all the other little sparklies...but then I think back to the issues.. and the fact that I cried every day over the pave setting and haven''t shed a tear of sadness over my new setting... totally worth it.

And one more thing... I simply love the look of yellow gold. Sometimes, clear white diamonds get "lost" in white gold/platinum/ etc. It kind of blends... does that make sense? Anyway..thats just my opinion .

julesbeth

Brilliant_Rock
I am a solitaire lover for sure - and while I think your rings are just gorgeous a simpler setting might be perfection.

gicki55

Rough_Rock
Kristen,
I agree with you on your comments!

How do I know that with the trade in that I am not getting screwed over by my jeweler? My hubby says that he trusts them not to do this and that is why we originally went with them. But at the same time we know we are definetly losing something because they are still a business... I guess I am just having a hard time with lost value but it''s not like we wear a price tag on our fingers... no one would know but me I guess.

Buffy01

Shiny_Rock
Gicki, my ring size is 6. Good luck with whatever you do. You will make the right decision. I know I did when I changed my shank, it makes my diamond POP !!

gicki55

Rough_Rock
pwendy- the more I think about getting a mold and just a plain band made the more I am liking it. That way I won''t have to worry about missing the bling and, although swapped band wise, I will still get the overall look I m going for.

Now, do you or anyone else know anything about the cost of getting a mold made and then a band created? I guess I would also have to get the bands unsoldered.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results