shape
carat
color
clarity

the economy takes another one...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
So yesterday, I was at home working in my brand new guest room/office (I work from home in my new job) and who should show up around 10:30 am or so but...FI!!!!! He went to work like any other morning (requiring an hour+ commute), and was laid off first thing. His entire division of 90 or so people were let go. The severance will cover bills through the holidays, but after that I don''t know what''s going to happen. FI works in construction management so he has no job unless people want to build. *Sigh* I feel like the universe just took a big dump on us. I''m in the middle of a job transition (which pays more, but not nearly enough to cover our expenses), we just bought a new car, we need a new roof, it''s the holidays, and we''re trying to plan and pay for a wedding. We were working on paying off our debt and we were doing really good, but we have no savings because of it. So no emergency fund to speak of.

Fi is in good spirits (thank god) and is already working on sending out resumes. Unfortunately the market is saturated with people like him, so jobs are going to be super hard to come by, and RI has the WORST unemployment rate in the country. Ugh, it''s so hard to stay positive. Please, someone talk me off the ledge....

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
I''m really sorry about this Hudson. I wish you and your FI the very best. Things will get better in time and I''m sure he''ll find something before the year is over.

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
Oh, Hudson, I''m sorry! Sending job dust to your FI! Would he be willing to get a part-time holiday job to help boost your emergency fund while he''s looking for something permanent?

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Hudson
I am so so sorry! I''ll keep you in my prayers

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Step away from the ledge.
This is going to be okay.
There will be work out there.
It may be tough for a while, but you know now that you have to be very careful with your money, so you can start saving while FI is looking for a job.
The holidays will come and go. You two will be together. You''ll laugh and eat and make memories.
Your wedding will be amazing.
Your new job will be more rewarding.
The roof will get fixed.
The debt won''t be there forever.
You have family and friends who love you. They will not allow anything horrible to happen to you. And neither will we.
It will be okay.

Big hugs, sweetie. I''m so sorry.

aprilcait

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, I''m so sorry, Hudson!!!
38.gif

That is really a blessing that your FI is in good spirits and getting right back on the horse. Good for him!
Hugs to you two!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m so sorry to hear this, HH. I have been there. It sucks. You will get through this, though. Remember: everything happens for a reason. I am proof positive of that...big hugs to you and your FI, and I will keep you in my thoughts.

misysu2

Brilliant_Rock
I''m sorry to hear about your luck Hudson! You''re not alone in this. Cut back your holiday spending and start saving up. Positivity makes all the difference. You have your husband and he''s in good spirits. There are tons of temporary holiday jobs out there to help pay the bills. We are here for you!

Sha

Ideal_Rock
Wow....so sorry.
8.gif
And such bad timing! I can imagine how anxious you must be. Your FI is going to have to be really aggressive about job-hunting...and I guess you may have to carry a bit of the load for a while.
8.gif
I really hope that he finds something soon.

doodle

Brilliant_Rock
so sorry, HH! just keep in mind how back and forth the construction industry as a whole is--you can get laid off one day, and hired for a gazillionty dollar contract the next day! he seems to have a great attitude and a strong work ethic, both of which are qualities very likely to make him a shoo-in for another job soon! best of luck to you guys!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am so sorry; I will pray he finds another job soon. hugs

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hudson,
I am so sorry. Hoping and praying he finds another job soon. Glad to hear he''s in good spirits, that''s so important.

PrincessDijon

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry to hear about your FI Hudson....

There IS hope....I felt hopeless myself for the last few months but I kept plugging away at the job applications and FINALLY I got an offer today.

Hang in there and here''s some *dust* for your FI!

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/14/2008 2:53:40 PM
Author: Sabine
Oh, Hudson, I''m sorry! Sending job dust to your FI! Would he be willing to get a part-time holiday job to help boost your emergency fund while he''s looking for something permanent?
I wanted to echo this... I think any job is better than NO job, right? Retail stores hire a lot of extra holiday employees so I''m sure he could find something. Sorry to hear about this though... I hope he finds something permanent soon.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m really sorry to hear that HH. D got laid off last month so I know the feeling
7.gif
Sending hugs

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
Oh, grrr. I''m so sorry. I''ll be hoping your fiance finds a job soon. And I hope you enjoy your new one!

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Im really sorry to hear this
15.gif

Unfortunately, this story repeats itself as we speak. Just at dinner this evening I heard of a few acquaintances of mine that have lost their jobs--one was with their company for 15 years! Thats just the financial climate we are living in.

HOWEVER, keep your head up because this is very temporary. Stay strong (if a little frugal) and continue to support him. Before long he''ll be doing his thing!

Sending lots of good "working" dust your way!!!

SandraPaneczko

Shiny_Rock
I am so sorry this happened to you and your fiance . Times are very hard right now. Keep your faith. I will be praying for you. My grandma who is only 58 just got laid off from her job of 12 years and only months after she finished her bachelors degree to help her with job security. She had to sell her home and is now struggling to find a decent job. Not many employers want to higher grandmothers. You are not the only one and things will get better.
Take Care

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Hudson This is not exactly the same situation but about 9mths ago my FI quit his job because he of various reasons and was essentially given no other choice, at the time it was hard but it was best thing that could have happened to the both of us. During that time we were seriously struggling as my crappy wage was supporting both of us, we had a hole in our roof as well and a mortgage to pay but we made it by being ultra ultra ultra frugal. You might be surprised but when push comes to shove just how can make things work even with only a little money.

Within about 3mths he found a new job in a completely new industry and was earning easily double of what he was beforehand and really things have never been better for us, though at the time I was seriously stressing.

I know right now the world may seem against you and everything seems to have gone to hell in a bucket but things will get better. This is just a minor setback and things will improve, one door closes another WILL OPEN.

I am so sorry your going through this right now, but you will come out on top.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sorry to hear about your FI''s job. I hope he finds something soon!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
HH,

I''m so sorry. There ARE tons of temp jobs that your DH can apply for. Just focus on sending resumes to EVERY temp agency and having him call them regularily to see what''s out there is his best bet.

If him, I wouldn''t bother with applications for seasonal retail jobs because there is so much competition for those right now and retail sales have plummeted (FWIW, I''ve applied at a bunch of retailers and the only store that called me back was Nordstrom and the interview was gave me an inside look at how that company looks at its customers and I now have a complete discust for the company.
14.gif
It''s a tough market at the time.).

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
So sorry to hear about your FI losing his job. Sounds like he has a great attitude though, which will help in the job search. Hang in there!!!

shigidigi

Shiny_Rock
Hudson, I am so sorry to hear about your FIs job! I completely understand how difficult this is, especially with the job market being the way it is. My DH still has not found a job since we moved in August and it is getting really tough for us to get by on my salary alone.

I wish I had something encouraging to say, but just know that I am sending lots of dust to your FI in the hopes of getting another job soon.

Just be thankful he is in good spirits. I hope this gets better soon!!

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Ugh, my computer ate the post...

Here is my advice...and it probably echoes a lot of whats already been said...

The most important thing you can do is hold onto your positivity. Prehaps your FI could find a part time job just to help out over the holidays, and continue to look for full time employment? I would suggest cutting holiday spending, and taking full advantage of sales, or coupons to purchase the gifts you cannot avoid.

I hope things turn around for you soon!

angel_nieves

Brilliant_Rock

I am so sorry to read this Hudson!! May I ask if you live in Florida? There are a few places that I know that are hiring, approx. $1800 -2000 per month and full benefits.

Keep your head up and all will be better soon.
Hugs and lots of dust coming your way!!!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much everyone. Like I said, FI has a fantastic outlook. I''m the one that''s all gloom and doom. Anyway, FI applied to probably 10 jobs on Thursday and Friday. He''s also got some friends calling around their contacts to see if anyone is hiring. He also has some family contacts he could reach out to if things got really bad. Men and their pride sometimes.....

Macie-Thanks, but we''re in RI. Yes, the state with the highest unemployment rate in the country. Are any of those companies offering remote positions?

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
I know how you feel. This happened to me the other day except the jerkoffs let me work the entire work day and told me before I went home. I also got just enough to pay bills through the family and it royally sucks
7.gif
I''ve been job hunting for a month now, UGH!

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
I am sorry HH and Smurfy. It is hard anytime but just before the holidays is heartbreaking. Hang in there.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey guys,
Just an update, it''s been almost exactly a month with absolutely no progress in FI''s job hunt until this week. He interviewed with a company on Wednesday and left with the promise of an offer and start date before the end of the year. So keep your fingers crossed that it will all work out!!!

HH

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
Great news...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results