shape
carat
color
clarity

Tomato, onion, pepper, and chicken - your creativity, please!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Yesterday DH and I hosted a very happy housewarming; however, we are faced with a teensy problem in the aftermath today. We served "build your own kebobs" and completely overestimated how much we''d need, so I have large tupperware containers of each: green bell pepper, tomato, button mushrooms, white onion, and chicken breast - all cut into kebob friendly sizes.

I''m hoping my PS friends can help me come up with inventive ideas so I can cook up the leftovers and (hopefully) freeze some good entrees for later on. I already have a plan for most of the mushrooms and some onion (Moosewood''s Hungarian Mushroom Soup...yummy). But otherwise, I''m kinda drawing blanks for what to do with the other items.

Can you help me out? What would you do with these ingredients?

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
Not entirely creative, but it sounds like the beginnings of a great stirfry to me.

I''m glad you had a good housewarming. Aren''t they fun??

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I think we might do some stir-fry tonight or tomorrow. Along with the million lbs of plain chicken, we have probably about 4-6 servings left of citrus-ginger marinated and the same of bbq marinated chicken. DH and I held a friendly competition as to who had the better marinade. I lost...I should have used more marinade but I was scared of it being too gingery - plus, I think bbq is probably just more of a midwest crowd favorite.
7.gif
Anyway, I think the citrus ginger stuff would be killer in the wok with some rice, etc. :)

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
chicken stew
Add quartered potatoes and 1 can chicken broth and some water with everything but the tomatoes.
put it in a crock pot cook it on high for 1 hour then add tomatoes then low for a few hours until the chicken is 170 degrees.
Freeze in microwavable containers.

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock
I would do a rissoto.

You will need rice, salsa,chicken broth and olive oil.

There are a ton of recipes out there on Allrecipes.com etc

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
There is a dish called Chicken Marengo that uses all of those except the green pepper. I would just eat the green peppers raw, I am not a huge green pepper fan but the other ingredients are basically all that is in Chicken Marengo. I happen to love it.

MrsG

Shiny_Rock
Chicken Cacciatore

You can use any kind of mushrooms or omit them if you don''t like them, use fresh tomatoes instead of canned and add the bell peppers.

There are tons of recipes online and the ingredients tend to vary.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/26/2008 8:36:09 PM
Author:Elmorton
Yesterday DH and I hosted a very happy housewarming; however, we are faced with a teensy problem in the aftermath today. We served ''build your own kebobs'' and completely overestimated how much we''d need, so I have large tupperware containers of each: green bell pepper, tomato, button mushrooms, white onion, and chicken breast - all cut into kebob friendly sizes.

I''m hoping my PS friends can help me come up with inventive ideas so I can cook up the leftovers and (hopefully) freeze some good entrees for later on. I already have a plan for most of the mushrooms and some onion (Moosewood''s Hungarian Mushroom Soup...yummy). But otherwise, I''m kinda drawing blanks for what to do with the other items.

Can you help me out? What would you do with these ingredients?
3/4 cup cooking sherry. 4 tablespoons of soy sauce 4 tablespoons of Lemon Juice. 3/4 stick of butter. Heat till boiling.

Take that, and add the tomato''s, mushrooms and onions. Then add this to the chicken pieces. Serve with rice.
18.gif
18.gif

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/26/2008 11:23:51 PM
Author: MrsG
Chicken Cacciatore

You can use any kind of mushrooms or omit them if you don''t like them, use fresh tomatoes instead of canned and add the bell peppers.

There are tons of recipes online and the ingredients tend to vary.
I was going to suggest this as well!

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
risotto
stir fry

maybe a pasta dish with olive oil and shredded cheese over it? Do the pasta, simply sautee the veggies and chicken/stir fry whichever, put them over the pasta, add olive oil and shredded cheese and mix it all together.... OMG did I just make up a dinner?

dianne

Brilliant_Rock
Chicken hoagies !---just made these last night and hubby and guests cannot get enough of them!!

Cut chicken into smaller-than-kabob pieces and fry with just a little oil in a skillet. Add spices if you desire. Remove when done.

Add a little more oil and add the veggies (all but tomatoes). Basically stir-fry veggies until desired doneness.

Take hoagie buns and remove extra bread from the center to form a "bed" for goodies. Toast bread under broiler.

Mix together mayonnaise and mustard, enough mustard to make the mixture a light yellow. Spread on both sides of bread.

Add chicken to the top or bottom of hoagie bun, whichever is thickest and has the deeper "bed". Then add cooked veggies.

Place cheese slices (I use colby jack and provolone, cut slices in half, and alternate cheeses until sandwich is covered)

Place under broiler until cheese melts.

Add tomatoes (and I like to add banana peppers) on top and cover with remaining hoagie bread.
18.gif

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Fajitas!! FI and I just made some last night and they''re yum. You might want to cut the veggies into smaller pieces, but otherwise you''re ready to go. I usually buy some hot peppers too and add those in while I''m cooking everything else, but you can use crushed red pepper out of a jar too. I also add some garlic, cumin, and chili powder. I just cook everything down in a pan together. Then get tortillas, sour cream, and shredded cheese and you''re ready to go. It''s one of our favorite things to make.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m going to second fajitas.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
stew and other soups....then freeze if need be, especially if tomato based. or curry!!!!!

movie zombie

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Mmmmm! So many good options! I knew y'all would come up with things I couldn't :)

Chicken stew and chicken cacciatore are on my "high" list because it sounds like I could freeze those really well - and I've never made either one which means I'll have fun with it. Dragonfly, you cracked me up with your response - I think I might follow that, though, because I also have a spaghetti squash that I want to bake up, so I might substitute that for the pasta.

Tonight we're going with bbq chicken pizza to get rid of the bbq chicken leftovers and do something different. Last night's stir fry was yuuuuuuummy! :)

Strange that DH and I didn't think of fajitas...we're fajitas fiends over here!

Any tips for risotto? I love risotto but I've never made it. I make rice like crazy in our rice cooker, but never risotto. Do I just do the same thing, only substitute risotto?

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/26/2008 10:42:51 PM
Author: strmrdr
chicken stew

Add quartered potatoes and 1 can chicken broth and some water with everything but the tomatoes.

put it in a crock pot cook it on high for 1 hour then add tomatoes then low for a few hours until the chicken is 170 degrees.

Freeze in microwavable containers.

I just made something similar to this tonight actually. But, I serve out the chicken and sides just on a plate. (after the first hour) Then I take the leftovers and add noodles for chicken noodle soup.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/27/2008 7:23:11 PM
Author: Elmorton

Any tips for risotto? I love risotto but I've never made it. I make rice like crazy in our rice cooker, but never risotto. Do I just do the same thing, only substitute risotto?

Nope...Risotto is a whole different animal than cooking regular rice. But it's an easy and really yummy animal!
1.gif

Risotto is the end product, you'll want to buy arborio or in a pinch carnaroli rice. Then follow these directions, but you can substitute as desired really:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/02/dining/02mini.html

Basically follow this recipe, omit the asparagus (unless you want to use it) and add in the veggies and/meat precooked (just saute them up) in the last 5-10 minutes of cooking the rice. No need to puree unless you want to.

My shortcut is to just throw a bouillon cube or two in with the rice while it's cooking and use hot water from a teakettle in lieu of the broth. One less pan to wash. When I was living in Italy my lovely Italian host mother taught me that trick, so I figure if it was good enough for the Italians it's good enough for me!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/27/2008 11:32:07 PM
Author: neatfreak

Date: 10/27/2008 7:23:11 PM
Author: Elmorton

Any tips for risotto? I love risotto but I''ve never made it. I make rice like crazy in our rice cooker, but never risotto. Do I just do the same thing, only substitute risotto?

Nope...Risotto is a whole different animal than cooking regular rice. But it''s an easy and really yummy animal!
1.gif

Risotto is the end product, you''ll want to buy arborio or in a pinch carnaroli rice. Then follow these directions, but you can substitute as desired really:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/02/dining/02mini.html

Basically follow this recipe, omit the asparagus (unless you want to use it) and add in the veggies and/meat precooked (just saute them up) in the last 5-10 minutes of cooking the rice. No need to puree unless you want to.

My shortcut is to just throw a bouillon cube or two in with the rice while it''s cooking and use hot water from a teakettle in lieu of the broth. One less pan to wash. When I was living in Italy my lovely Italian host mother taught me that trick, so I figure if it was good enough for the Italians it''s good enough for me!
That''s brilliant!

eks6426

Ideal_Rock

Slow-Simmered Curried Chicken

Recently my family tried this Slow-Simmered Curried Chicken recipe in the Rival Crock Pot cookbook I *borrowed* from my mom. The curry and cilantro give it a fresh flavor.

- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1 med. green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast or thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces (I am a little lazy didn''t actually cut mine; I used some frozen chicken breast tenders and by the end they were falling apart and worked just fine
- 1 cup medium salsa
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon curry
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- hot cooked rice

I''m sure you could add mushrooms into this and it would be fine too. I''d probably add them toward the end so they weren''t total msuh.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you have any olives, capers and garlic floating around, you could make a chicken puttanesca.

I dunno. There are so many things you could make....

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Thanks again for all the ideas and recipes!! I''ve made a ton of recipe cards from this thread - even though I didn''t get to use most of your awesome suggestions, I try not to eat beef and pork, and I''m always feeling stuck with my chicken dishes. Now I have so many awesome new ideas for yummy meals. Thank you thank you!

So, we''re almost through our week of leftovers -

I think I posted that I did the mushroom soup, stir fry, bbq pizza...then we did a HUGE thing of fajitas when we had a friend over on Thurs. I just used the rest of the tomato and onion for a massive vat of salsa (the fajitas just got me in the mood). DH and I are craving buffalo chicken, so we''re making wraps tonight...so we''ve used up almost all the chicken, all the tomatoes, mushrooms, and the onion.

The last thing I have is about 4 cups of green bell pepper. I''m thinking about making some kind of casserole with spanish rice and cheese...but of course, I''m open to suggestions if you have them!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results