shape
carat
color
clarity

Easy, filling meals that are WW friendly!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MajorGroove

Rough_Rock
Ever since I started on Weight Watchers, one of my favorite things to do has been to adapt recipes to make them lower-calorie, and to calculate the points value for the serving size I eat. Since starting this, I''ve accumulated a collection of favorites that are easy, make a LOT of food, and don''t take a long time to cook. I''m sure I''m not the only one who does this, so let''s share our ideas!

My favorites:

Japanese curry! No coconut milk here, but it''s so delicious! If you''ve never had Japanese curry, do give it a try! I like House brand; you can find it in most grocery stores. My fiance and I usually make the whole box at once, and it feeds us for a week, but you can definitely use as much as you want to. It''s incredibly easy to make: for the whole box, I usually use 3-4 carrots, cut; 1-2 diced onions (depending on their size); and 2 medium potatoes, cut. Boil these in the amount of water specified (directions are on the box), then when the veggies are cooked, you drop in the curry block, stir, and simmer to the consistency you like. Toss some rice in a pot/rice cooker (it''s good with brown rice too), and you''re set!
1 cup curry = 5 points
1 cup rice = 4 points
I usually use 3/4 cup of each, for a total of 7 points. This stuff is really filling, too! It''s also great for cold days.
18.gif

Archer Farms Pasta Carbonara from Target: yeah, it''s a box meal. . .but it''s really tasty! Directions are on the box, but I substitute turkey bacon for real bacon, olive oil for the butter, use skim milk for the sauce, and I add frozen peas and carrots (I just cook them in the pot with the pasta). It takes all of 10 minutes to make, and makes a lot.
1 cup = 7 points

Pizza: I use the whole wheat Boboli crust with the Boboli sauce pack, add dried minced onions to the sauce, use low-fat mozzarella (8 oz), then top with red, yellow, and green peppers, broccoli, red onion. . .really, any veggies I feel like! Takes 10 minutes to bake.
1/4 pizza = 7 points

I''ve got more, but I''ve got to run for now. . .so share your ideas, and I''ll post more later!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good thread!!!

Beef Chili
8 servings 6 points

Ingredients
2 tsp olive oil
1 medium onion(s), chopped
2 medium stalk(s) celery, chopped
2 medium garlic clove(s), minced
1 small jalapeno pepper(s), seeded and minced**
1 pound(s) lean ground sirloin
2 tbsp chili powder
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
2 piece(s) bay leaf
1/2 tsp table salt
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes, or more to taste
28 oz canned crushed tomatoes
1 cup(s) canned beef broth, reduced-sodium
8 oz canned tomato sauce
30 oz canned kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup(s) shallot(s), chopped
Instructions
Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery, garlic and jalapeño; sauté until tender, about 4 minutes. Add beef and sauté until browned and cooked through, breaking up meat as it cooks, about 5 minutes; drain mixture through a colander to remove excess fat.

Return beef mixture to pan (set over medium-high heat) and add chili powder, cumin, oregano, bay leaves, salt and red pepper flakes; stir to coat vegetables and beef with spices. Add tomatoes, broth, tomato sauce and beans, and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, for 30 minutes.

To serve, discard bay leaves, ladle chili into bowls and top with chopped shallots. Yields about 1 heaping cup per serving.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results