shape
carat
color
clarity

What should I do about the setting?!?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

panda08

Brilliant_Rock
I feel like I''m gonna get stoned for saying this but I''m having setting regret after sending my diamond to Leon. It''s not his fault at all, but absolutely mine. I did so much research when it came to buying the diamond but stupidly did hardly any when it came to the setting. After seeing his website and all the incredible rings Leon did for fellow PS''ers, I wanted him to do my setting. I wanted a simple solitaire. The only one I ever tried on was the Tiffany 6 prong during my diamond search and my FI and I both loved it. I looked at Leon''s solitaires and didn''t like the profile of the ones with cathedral arms. I mistakenly thought that meant I didn''t want the height a cathedral setting brings so I choose to have Leon set the stone as low as possible. I also thought that the low setting would be more practical.

So Leon produces exactly what I asked for and sadly, I am underwhelmed
15.gif
His workmanship is exquisite and I LOVE his claw prongs but I''m regretting my decision to set the diamond so low. It''s just TOO low. I feel like my gorgeous diamond doesn''t "pop" and looks a bit squat on my hand. My FI commented on it when he first saw the ring (though very gently), and so have a couple of friends. I''m SO crushed
39.gif
39.gif
39.gif
I wanted to swoon over my Leon but instead I''m having setting regret.

I''ve emailed Leon to see if he can set the stone higher. He said that the entire ring would have to be remade and that the best he could offer was a $300 credit for the platinum.

I''ve been obsessing about this ever since I received the ring several weeks ago. I''m so torn. Part of me wants to fix it so that I''ll have an ering I''ll love, though I wonder whether moving the stone up a couple of mm will make a difference. However, I feel extremely guilty for wasting a perfectly good ring, not to mention the cost of a re-do.

What should I do? Get another Leon? Bite the bullet and keep the ring? Ask another jeweler to see if my stone can be reset in my current ring so that not all is lost? Just re-set it in a generic solitaire for half the price of a new Leon? Am I never going to be satisfied and will want to re-set my diamond all the time? *sigh*

Spirit

Shiny_Rock
Oh Panda I am really sorry to hear this , but not totally surprised. I picked up this sad vibe from one of your previous posts. You know that your ring is a beauty and have received so many positive comments on it, but that doesn''t change your " gut" feeling. If you feel you would like a higher setting, then you are entitled . It is so hard to tell until it is actually on your finger. Maybe if I were you I would try your first two options before having Leon redo it for almost the full amount. Ask a local jeweller if he could work with your setting. If not, look around and see if there is a stock setting which would appeal to you. Either way it would probably be less expensive then going back to Leon. If you just live with it for awhile, it may grow on you. if not, bite the bullet and gt what you really want. Life is short and it is just money. You are not changing the main diamond- just the setting. Sometimes it just happens like that and we must make a change and then go forward.
Good luck . I hope you find the one that makes your heart skip!

HeartingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi Panda,

I know what you are feeling - I have been in the same boat a few times myself. Sometimes, the picture we have in our heads does not translate well IRL.

If I were in your shoes, I would set a nice gemstone in your current setting - a sapp, perhaps? Its certainly worth a whole lot more than $350. And then begin the process of looking for a setting that just wows you. What are you thinking? Side stones? Pave? A halo?

Whatever it ends up costing you (and J
1.gif
), it will be money WELL SPENT every time you look at your ring. Trust me on this one.

Good luck, and I hope you find the setting of your dreams - perhaps closer to that inspiration photo that you had previously?

MMT

Ideal_Rock
Hey Panda so sorry to hear what you are going through. After all that you should have the ring of your dreams. If a new setting is in the budget I say go for it. You can always use the Leon setting for something else. Or take the credit for a RHR or pendant.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Sorry for your disappointment. I know how hard it must be to anticipate perfection and have it fall short.

How about having a nice colored gemstone set in Leon''s setting and having your stone set in something else (don''t know if he can do that). I think the simple settings from WF are perfect when you aren''t 100% sure of what you want.

Bottom line is you don''t want to be disappointed every time you see your ring. Even though you have a Leon it wasn''t one of the pave halo super expensive ones. And if you have a little left in your budget to get something you are happy with I say make the change. But DON"T TALK ABOUT IT to friends otherwise they''ll think you are an ungrateful bridzilla. We understand. They won''t.

lesco

Brilliant_Rock
I just wanted to say I''m sorry you are not 100% happy. It sucks!

If I were you I would get me a really cheapo temp setting to "try out" normal height and see how I feel about it. Only then, I would consider asking Leon for a redo. Who knows, maybe having the stone set up higher might not be what you truly want.

Take some time to think about it and do what makes you happy.

Cheer up! I think your ring is lovely and a true classic.
35.gif

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
do you have any pictures of the ring?

lesco

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/18/2008 12:35:12 AM
Author: bgray
do you have any pictures of the ring?
Panda has a tread on her lovely on STR. Hop over to check it out!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Panda, I am very sorry you are facing this - I have to say, I like my rings set low, but even I can see from your SMTR thread how this may not be your ideal ring.
Yes, it is lovely, I still think that - but may be too low for many.
I''m sorry I don''t have a definitive answer for you, but I would think a $350 trade in is too low..
I would suggest finding The Best local jeweller you can and asking if they can raise the height of the head.
In the meantime, try on as many styles as you can, just to make sure that is what you actually want..
Fwiw, If I were in the market I''d take it off your hands!
I hope you can find a solution, and yes you absolutely deserve to be in love with your ring.
5.gif

Dogmom

Shiny_Rock
Panda, I think your ring is GORGEOUS! I prefer low settings, though, because I tend to be clumsy and bang my jewelry around.

Are comments from others causing you to have second thoughts? Why don''t you try looking around local stores and try on some other settings just to get an idea of how something set higher would look and feel on your finger. Try putting your ring away for a few days and then bring it back out and you''ll see it with fresh eyes.

Just some things to think about. Good luck, you deserve to have the ring of your dreams.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn''t bother to ask another jeweler to see if they can do what Leon says cannot be done. You can sometimes set a diamond lower, but you really cannot set it much higher as the height of the prongs have already been reduced. Couple that with the fact that Leon prongs are quite delicate and thin, and I think you are asking for disaster.

Either choose another setting (whether Leon or other), reuse this setting for a gemstone, or accept the credit. I would NOT let another jeweler tamper with the setting.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/18/2008 12:38:37 PM
Author: purrfectpear
I wouldn''t bother to ask another jeweler to see if they can do what Leon says cannot be done. You can sometimes set a diamond lower, but you really cannot set it much higher as the height of the prongs have already been reduced. Couple that with the fact that Leon prongs are quite delicate and thin, and I think you are asking for disaster.

Either choose another setting (whether Leon or other), reuse this setting for a gemstone, or accept the credit. I would NOT let another jeweler tamper with the setting.

I agree...I think it''s asking for disaster to get another jeweler to mess with it.

I also think that $350 is too low to make it worth it...I''d set a gemstone in it too probably and get it remade if you can afford it. I think it''s the only thing that''ll make you happy.

If you can''t afford it I would enjoy the ring as is and start saving for the new setting!

PinkSummer

Rough_Rock
Can anyone post where I can see Panda''s ring? I can''t find it (still new around here :)Thanks.

beechezz

Brilliant_Rock
I think your ring is lovely the way it is. Maybe you should do what another poster suggested and get a temporary inexpensive higher setting to test it out.

girlie-girl

Brilliant_Rock
I too love the low setting, but think you should get whatever you truly love for your own ring. Maybe the others are offering good suggestions with trying on other settings to see how high you really would like to go and then possibly resetting the Leon with a colored gemstone. So sorry to hear you''re not absolutely delighted.
7.gif

Date: 10/18/2008 3:17:47 PM
Author: PinkSummer
Can anyone post where I can see Panda''s ring? I can''t find it (still new around here :)Thanks.
You can see her ring here:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/a-cushion-cut-leon-solitaire-to-call-my-own.96513/

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Oh Panda. ((HUGS)) It's horrible to not be happy with your ring. I had something custom made as well, and although it was admittedly not a Leon, I still had this image in my head that just didn't match the reality. My setting also had a lot of problems, but that's beside the point. The point was that I didn't LOVE it. And you really need to love your ring.

I think that $300 is not worth returning the setting to Leon. If you really aren't happy, then you should find a new setting, but I'd definitely keep the setting and put a different stone in there.

Keeping a ring that you don't love just shouldn't be an option. If you have the budget to get a new setting, I say go for it. But take your time, and try on a million and 4 styles to make sure that you get what you like. Have jewelers bring settings in for you. Borrow rings from friends, buy cheapies (I did all of these things) until you find a setting that makes your breath catch.

May I ask how your fiance feels about it? Is he alright with you resetting it? DH and I came up with a budget for my reset, and I stuck to it. I ended up with a plain band instead of a diamond one, because I got a much more expensive solitaire setting than I intended, but I can upgrade the band later, and the most important thing was to be happy with my setting.

Were you planning on getting a diamond band? If so, maybe you could downgrade for the time being to make up for the cost of resetting?

((HUGS)) Just do what you need to make YOU happy.

panda08

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, Sprirt, for your kind words. There are elements of my ring that I love but that "gut" feeling you mentioned is what is what''s been gnawing away at me.

Grace, thanks! You''re absolutely right, the image I had in my mind did not translate well IRL. I think you''ve mistaken me for someone else, but I appreciate your support nevertheless.

MMT, thanks. I''m sad, though I wish I wasn''t. It was an anti-climatic ending to what I hoped would be my perfect ering.

Swingirl, thanks. I knew I came to the right place for support. I''ve mentioned my concerns about the setting to a few friends and though they''re somewhat sympathetic, they don''t quite get it like you guys do. Luckily, my FI doesn''t think I''m an ungrateful bridzilla, even if he can''t really understand what I''m obsessing about.

Lesco, I''ll definitely look into getting a cheapo temp setting to try it out. I am afraid that a re-do will still leave me cold, but in a different way. Thanks for your nice words about my ring.

Arjunajane, I''m glad you know what I mean. I''ve stared at my ring over and over. There are moments when I recognize that it''s lovely but it doesn''t make my heart sing because the diamond''s set too low. The proportions just don''t look right to me. I wish you could take it off my hands!!!

Thanks, Dogmom. It''s not the comments from others that''s making me have second thoughts. I thought the setting was too low the moment I saw the ring. So did my FI. But I thought I''d wear it for awhile and see how I feel and three weeks later, I''m still thinking that it''s not quite right.

PP and Neatfreak, thanks for your advice. The both of you are always very practical and straightforward.

Thank you, Beechezz and Girlie-girl. I do think my ring is lovely, just not exactly what I had in mind.

Aw, thanks Geckodani. I''m glad you dropped in. I know you were in the same boat and have been looking high and low for your perfect setting. I should have done what you did and tried on a billion settings before making a decision. FI said I can reset it if I want. I choose the setting so he has no particular attachment to it. Besides, he said the re-set will be out of my own pocket. I don''t begrudge him one bit, as he already went above and beyond budget for the diamond and this setting. I couldn''t possibly imagine asking him to pay for my mistake. We haven''t talked about the wedding band yet.

Well, I went to a local jeweler today and he said that he couldn''t work with my current setting and make the diamond higher. I pretty much expected that answer. I appreciate the suggestion about setting another stone in the current setting. However, that''s not really practical for me because, one, I don''t have another stone, and two, I''ve never worn rings and don''t desire to wear anything besides my ering and WB. My jeweler said that he can replicate my Leon but with a higher setting at half of Leon''s price. But I''m gun shy about doing another custom job. Moreover, there''s still the issue of wasting my Leon. I can afford a re-do but feel like such a spoiled brat. Gosh... what I''d give if I could just turn back the clock... Thanks, again, everyone.

Sharon101

Brilliant_Rock
Panda, we all have the greatest vision with hindsite!!!!

So, you made a mistake...big deal its not the end of the world!!!! Think about it, we are not experts in the ring design area. We havent had lots of chances to try out and road test many designs and styles etc to find out every aspect that will make a difference.....so odds are that we will stuff up in some way!!!!!!! Especially with a custom design that you dont get to try on mid way through!!!!!!!

Im in the same boat and really wrestled with my options also.

But, in the end I desided to have another chance at getting my dream ring made up. I suggest you take it slow.....even spend up to a year on trying on as many designs as you can. It might turn out that you go for something totally different to the Leon style. eg more modern and blingly???? Your options are wide open and you should use this to your advantage.

I also suggest going to someone who will let you try it on in store and that you get a real feel for how it will look on your hand!!!!! My jeweller has also let me try it on before it is finished to identify any problems early on. Some jewellers will make you a ring from silver as a way of trying before its made in gold etc. Believe me, there are many ways to make sure that the next time will be successful!!!!! I dont believe in just getting the end result as a final finished product.....too much can go wrong imo for non experts!!!!

Spirit

Shiny_Rock
Panda, I am glad you came back on here to let us know how you are feeling. The first big step you took was to admit you are disappointed in the setting and being homest with your fiance. Next step is to alleviate the problem from your life and get what you really will enjoy. Is it possible that you overlooked the setting because you were so caught up in the delivery and happy to get it on your birthday? So many different issues involved. Then when the dust settles, you see something that is not what you had hoped for.
It happens to all of us. We all understand here. Good that you are being honest with YOURSELF! Good luck in your search. Please come back and let us know when you find your dream setting!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/18/2008 7:28:39 PM
Author: panda08

Well, I went to a local jeweler today and he said that he couldn''t work with my current setting and make the diamond higher. I pretty much expected that answer. I appreciate the suggestion about setting another stone in the current setting. However, that''s not really practical for me because, one, I don''t have another stone, and two, I''ve never worn rings and don''t desire to wear anything besides my ering and WB. My jeweler said that he can replicate my Leon but with a higher setting at half of Leon''s price. But I''m gun shy about doing another custom job. Moreover, there''s still the issue of wasting my Leon. I can afford a re-do but feel like such a spoiled brat. Gosh... what I''d give if I could just turn back the clock... Thanks, again, everyone.

Oh sweetie. I feel your pain. If we could change the past, life would be easier - and probably quite boring. But honestly - you are going to be wearing this ring for a long, long time and it''s important that you be happy. Find a setting that makes your heart sing, and maybe put the Leon up on Pearlmans?

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Panda, have you considered asking Pearlmans to consign the setting for you? I''m sure they can get better than $300 for a brand new LM, with all the PS''ers that regularly check on there!
Pls email them at least and see what they say, you may be pleasantly surprised..

HeartingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi Panda,

Sorry for mistaking you for someone else
14.gif
- however, my sentiments remain the same
1.gif
1.gif

This is a ring that you will be wearing for a long time and you should always like what you see when you look down on your finger. Go visit a few jewelers in town and keep going until you find one that calls out your name (trust me, you''ll know).

Good luck to you and HUGS too!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Panda, I am facing a somewhat similar dilemma with my RB, though mine is not a Leon''s. I agree that unless you are 100% happy with your setting, you''re never going to be able to leave it alone.

I am not sure what''s the best thing to do. I just want to wish you luck and give you HUGS.

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
Did he send you pictures of a mock up of what the finished product would look like? I think a $300 credit is almost an insult. You paid for custom work and weren''t happy with the results. I think that''s bad business on his end. He does this for a living and happy clients are an investment in his future. I feel extremely bad for you
7.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/19/2008 4:33:09 PM
Author: makemepretty
Did he send you pictures of a mock up of what the finished product would look like? I think a $300 credit is almost an insult. You paid for custom work and weren't happy with the results. I think that's bad business on his end. He does this for a living and happy clients are an investment in his future. I feel extremely bad for you
7.gif

Not quite. As she said Leon did EXACTLY what she asked. She then decided AFTER that she would have preferred something taller, but that's not what she asked for. I don't think this is Leon's fault at all...If custom work is executed to your orders, then you change your mind afterwards, it's not their responsibility to redo.

Most of the cost of custom work is the labor, not the materials, so Leon offering the credit is pretty reasonable IMO.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/18/2008 10:40:07 PM
Author: arjunajane
Panda, have you considered asking Pearlmans to consign the setting for you? I''m sure they can get better than $300 for a brand new LM, with all the PS''ers that regularly check on there!

Pls email them at least and see what they say, you may be pleasantly surprised..

panda, if you are truly unhappy with the setting than I second arjunajane''s idea on consigning the setting. you will get a lot more from Pearlmans than teh $300 Leon is offering you. Then either have him make you a new setting like what you want or since you tried on and loved the tiffany solitaire, maybe get the WF or surperbcert tiffany replica''s??

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m sorry you''re unhappy. Sounds like buyer''s remorse & a bit of unrealistic expectations. Things are NEVER as good as they are in our head -- especially when it comes to very emotionally heightened purchases like e-rings & homes.

I''d give it more time. Its a lovely ring, with lovely sentiment attached. And try on a ton of stuff to see what you *do* like on your hands before you do ANYTHING else.

Date: 10/19/2008 4:40:43 PM
Author: neatfreak
You paid for custom work and weren''t happy with the results. I think that''s bad business on his end. He does this for a living and happy clients are an investment in his future. I feel extremely bad for you
7.gif
Not quite. As she said Leon did EXACTLY what she asked. She then decided AFTER that she would have preferred something taller, but that''s not what she asked for. I don''t think this is Leon''s fault at all...If custom work is executed to your orders, then you change your mind afterwards, it''s not their responsibility to redo.
I think that''s a harsh and inaccurate assessment, Makesmepretty. Are you familiar with how custom jewelry works? It''s like she asked for a halter gown & now wants turtleneck sweater dress. Two different animals.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/19/2008 5:01:30 PM
Author: mrssalvo

Date: 10/18/2008 10:40:07 PM
Author: arjunajane

panda, if you are truly unhappy with the setting than I second arjunajane''s idea on consigning the setting. you will get a lot more from Pearlmans than teh $300 Leon is offering you. Then either have him make you a new setting like what you want or since you tried on and loved the tiffany solitaire, maybe get the WF or surperbcert tiffany replica''s??
I agree w/Mrs.Salvo, I am sorry, I hope everything works out for you.

lovinsparkles

Shiny_Rock
What a shame! I loved your ring when you first posted it and really like the lowness of it. I agree with the others about Pearlmans. Lots of people would love a LM so you shouldn''t have trouble selling.

Good luck finding your dream ring! Maybe take your time, try on a bunch, and wait until you find the perfect thing before deciding on anything new. I might also be gunshy at this point about a custom piece (unless you had LM remake the exact same ring but higher so that you knew exactly how it would turn out). I''m sure you''ll find what you''re looking for, just try not to let it stress you out too much in the meantime!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/19/2008 5:42:40 PM
Author: decodelighted
I''m sorry you''re unhappy. Sounds like buyer''s remorse & a bit of unrealistic expectations. Things are NEVER as good as they are in our head -- especially when it comes to very emotionally heightened purchases like e-rings & homes.

I''d give it more time. Its a lovely ring, with lovely sentiment attached. And try on a ton of stuff to see what you *do* like on your hands before you do ANYTHING else.

Date: 10/19/2008 4:40:43 PM
Author: neatfreak

You paid for custom work and weren''t happy with the results. I think that''s bad business on his end. He does this for a living and happy clients are an investment in his future. I feel extremely bad for you
7.gif
Not quite. As she said Leon did EXACTLY what she asked. She then decided AFTER that she would have preferred something taller, but that''s not what she asked for. I don''t think this is Leon''s fault at all...If custom work is executed to your orders, then you change your mind afterwards, it''s not their responsibility to redo.
I think that''s a harsh and inaccurate assessment, Makesmepretty. Are you familiar with how custom jewelry works? It''s like she asked for a halter gown & now wants turtleneck sweater dress. Two different animals.
This is why I really think with someone like Leon, it is better to let him create something with his expertise. It''s too bad that he is making rings to customer specifications and letting them "have their way" because I think it is turning out pieces that really don''t measure up to his usual work.

Panda, I totally sympathize with you. Custom is such a hard way to go sometimes. Please don''t take what I say harshy because I absolutely am seeing what you see...your ring doesn''t work for me. In fact, I was surprised it was a Leon (minus the claws, it seemed like someone made a poor attempt to emulate one) The flow and grace that I am so used to seeing in Leon''s rings just isn''t there with yours.

You''re in good company here...we all definitely know about the "nitty gritty." If it pleases you (and it seems your man doesn''t care), pay to have it done again or get another setting from another vendor. Spending the money will sting but in the long run once you are really happy with your ring, the ouch of spending the money will fade away. If you keep this ring, I have a feeling you will feel so unhappy every time you look at it. I think the credit is more than fair considering that custom work is considered not returnable and the ring was made to your specifications.

PSers are a funny bunch. Even a slightly off prong tip can set us off into anal madness! Meanwhile the rest of the world is happy with blobby prongs! I agree with Deco though...don''t jump on it right away. See if it grows on you and try on a lot of rings in the meantime. Good luck!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results