shape
carat
color
clarity

Why did you go over 1.0 CTW?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Fancy_yellow_gal

Rough_Rock
My husband and I went over a 1ct because it''s in our means. My canary is 5.25 ct and I absolutely love it. I guess it''s relative to what your comfortable
spending, but I would''nt feel pressure to buy larger because of what anyone thought of me. If you love your .83 ct and your feeling bad about going bigger,
then dont do it!
26.gif

grapegravity

Shiny_Rock
For us, FI orginally got me a 0.82 carat ER... And as the time goes by, he upgraded my ring twice (1.20 and then 1.50) and each upgrade cost him twice as much as the trade-in ring...

A lot of his friends and my friends doesn''t understand why keep on upgrading the ER, but he told them that as long as he able to afford the upgrade, he will keep on upgrading the ER because he knows how much I love diamonds...
1.gif

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
If you feel your diamond looks small, then get a bigger diamond especially if you have the money. The way I see it .. we only live once and saving all our money away for a rainy day isn''t the way I want to live. Yes, I do save but I deserve to pamper myself too.

lesco

Brilliant_Rock
I would say you really want to do this... Do it, make yourself happy!

denverboy

Shiny_Rock
i think you can clearly see about 1/2 the responses say "hey i''m a practical person and personally I am fine w/ a stone under 1 carat b/c of the large price differences" and the other 1/2 of the responses say "hey i''m a pricescope who loves diamonds and if you can afford it, go for it b/c why not!?"

both points are valid... it''s just up to you what you want and who you ware - are you practical and think that it''s just simply not worth it for you, or do you just wannntttttt the big sparklyy diamondd!! your call =D

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Or keep the diamond and halo it and it will look HUGE!

PinkSummer

Rough_Rock
I agree...the halo would make it look much bigger!! and add some more bling :)

nclrgirl

Brilliant_Rock
We did things a bit backwards. I picked out the setting, THEN we purchased a stone. We went a BIT over a carat (1.10) because it was the smallest stone that would fit in the setting without making it look squished in, if that makes sense..

huangt0n

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the responses. I really appreciate all the input!!

I like the look of halos, but it''s just not my style. I think it looks beautiful on other people but just not on me so that''s why I avoided that route.

I will talk it over with my fiance this weekend some more and try on various sizes on my finger. Though I will have to do it at a local store in Austin instead of my actual in jeweler, so I won''t know about exact prices. I''ll try to figure out what size is best for me though first. I keep thinking to go up to 1.2 crt and to "promise my fiance" that I will never upgrade again. I''m not sure if he will believe me or if I believe myself. hehe

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
What about a compromise dear? :D
In the title of the post you said 1 ctw- have you considered turning your current ring into a three stone with a TOTAL carat weight above one carat? You could do quarter carat side stones and have a ring that was around one and a quarter ctw with some nice finger coverage :D

huangt0n

Rough_Rock
Anangel,

Thanks for the thought. I have asked about my jeweler about changing my current ring into a 3 ring before. She told me that I would not be able to just take down the current prongs and change it into a three prong. For some reason, it won''t work on a eternity band was the impression that I got because everything will be too "pieced together." She said if I wanted to go down that route, I would just have to get a new ring.

Someone correct though if my jeweler''s input is wrong...

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
The jeweler is correct, but it''s still a far cheaper upgrade :D

huangt0n

Rough_Rock
Ok so I mentally was prepared to upgrade to a larger diamond as I walked into a local jewelery store. It wasn''t the store that I bought my ring from so I wasn''t able to get all the information I needed. However, I went in to compare diamond sizes to see if I could really tell a difference between a 0.8 and a 1 and a 1.2. I held the diamond 1.2 against the eternity band and I couldn''t really tell a different. The difference in diameter between the two diamonds were also not very apparent.

I thought I would be able to tell between 1.2 and 0.83. What happened?? I wanted to go bigger, but now I really don''t feel like it''s worth it. I don''t think I would upgrade until I can tell a size difference so I guess I have to save up until I can go to a 1.5? At what point do most people tell that there is a noticeable size change?

More confused.... thanks for listening. Any inputs much appreciated!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/15/2008 11:51:50 PM
Author: arjunajane
We justified my upgrade by lowering in colour and clarity (K, Si1) which with my AGS0 is more than ok.
This meant an increase of only ~30% pricewise, but went from a 3 stone ~0.8tcw 3 stone to a 1.25ct solitaire.
I will be doing this myself in a few years. Right now I have .80ct J and since I see no color at all I will be upgrading to a 1.3ct K when I go there. That adds 1mm in diameter which is obious to the eye. Yup, not worth the $$ really when you think about it, but the heart wants what it wants
2.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would go to at least 1.2-1.3 from a .8 to see a difference. Was the 1.2 stone you saw today certified? Because if it wasn''t an excellent cut, the diameter could have been smaller than it should be. I originally had a 1 ct. stone and had it for 30 years before my husband bought me a new one for our anniversary. I was looking at 1.35-1.4 at first but ended up going to 1.6 because it was more noticeably larger than the others as compared to the 1 ct. stone. I figured if it wasn''t noticeable to me, it wasn''t worth doing at all! If I were you, I''d want to get to 7mm or more in diameter.

huangt0n

Rough_Rock
Yes, the diamond that I looked at today (1.2) was actually ideal cut. The jeweler also looked at my diamond (the uncertified diamond) and said that it was well cut also. Thus, I thought it was fair to compare the diameters. So I guess I was just surprised that I thought 1.2 would look much larger than 0.8 but it really did not at all. It''s good to know that others felt this way too so I''m not just being crazy.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
This could be just personal but I can notice a huge difference between 1.2 to 1.5 (that''s what I looked at). What were the dimensions (in mm) of the two diamonds you were comparing?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results