shape
carat
color
clarity

Stupid question but....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ladymentha

Shiny_Rock
What is the different between jam, jelly, and preserve? Personally they all taste pretty much the same to me.

pixie1216

Rough_Rock
i''m not sure, but think it might have to do with % of actual fruit content, and the way it is made? i notice when i buy strawberry preserves it has actual chunks of fruit and seeds in it. jelly i just "jelly-like", i think jam is in between jelly and preserves.

jcarlylew82

Shiny_Rock
i think you are right.

I prefer preserves over all, but will buy jam. I cannot stand jelly because it does not stay on toast
18.gif

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Jelly is a different process than jam.

I''m doing raspberry JAM tonight:

The berries get crushed and mashed and cooked with sugar. The Jam has a lot of fruit chunks and seeds.

If I were making JELLY, I would then run all the fruit through a sieve to take out the pulp. Then the jelly comes out clear with no seeds or chunks of fruit.

YUM!

LS

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
yup. Jelly is only juice. No fruit pieces.

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
And preserves has chunks of fruit in it, as opposed to being made from just crushed fruit.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/9/2008 9:29:20 PM
Author: ladypirate
And preserves has chunks of fruit in it, as opposed to being made from just crushed fruit.

yes.. I believe preserves are more whole/large pieces of the fruit(preserved in one pieces as the name suggests), jam is crushed fruit and jelly is just... jiggly.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
jelly is made from juice with additives
Jam is made from diced fruit with additives
Preserve is traditionally made with whole fruit or cut in 1/2 and have little or no additives.

A lot of brands sell Jam labeled as Preserve as they have a lot of additives like sugar and corn syrup.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Preserves tend to be the whole fruit or chunks of it. Jam and Jelly are pretty much the same to me, but I think there is an added sugar difference.

krispi

Shiny_Rock
BF and I asked his grandma this same thing not too long ago (we were shopping at an orchard that offered some of each) and she said basically the same thing - some have more solid fruit, and some have more juice.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve always wondered what the difference was between the three. I prefer the consistency of jam and preserves over jelly. Based om Storm''s descriptions, I think I''ll stick to preserves from now on.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha! I have never known the answer to this question either! LadyMentha--we are birthday twins!

PrincessDijon

Brilliant_Rock
Good question...thanks for asking....I''ve always been curious....

ladymentha

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/10/2008 10:42:51 PM
Author: monarch64
Ha! I have never known the answer to this question either! LadyMentha--we are birthday twins!

Yay!
36.gif
36.gif
Kinda late in responding but better late than never
28.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think jelly has no fruit pieces and is more like jello in texture, preserves have whole pieces of fruit, and jam is mushed up but much chunkier than jelly and less chunky than preserves. Am I right? Who knows!

I think I am right, now that I posted and looked back, but I posted before reading ANY answers!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results