shape
carat
color
clarity

Are all doctors like this?!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cara

Ideal_Rock
Dani-

I don''t mean that I found the NP incompetent or not knowledgeable - I was just told that this was not something they would answer!!!! Whether or not they had the knowledge or were competent, I wasn''t given a chance to find out!! I have definitely had NPs or Drs go check up on something, ask their collegues, and this was not that. It might partly be that there was no doctor available at that time (school clinic) but I don''t know if that was the case. It was just go straight out the door, come back and see us another time when the right person is here to help you.

But based on your response, I''ll revise my NP impressions if/when I switch care providers. It really seemed to me that the NPs were simply not allowed to do certain things/answer certain questions but maybe that was a misimpression. I''ve had great care from NPs on other occasions, so it really wasn''t an issue of they give bad care.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I understand people''s frustrations about having to wait, but I found many of the generlizations about doctor''s to be offensive. The wait is due for several reasions from the control you have over your front desk, to finding out there is a bigger problems with you patient that needs to be addressed right away, to patient questions at the end of the visit, to computer issues. In my clinic, I have 20 minutes to see a patient, that includes check them in, me doing my assessment and writing the note. It does not matter if it is a simple or complex case, I have 20 minutes. Here was my afternoon yesterday:

In exam room at 1pm. First patient not here.
Patient 10 minutes late
Patient ready to be seen at 1:20
Ready to see next patient at 1:45, bring them in, I am 25 minutes late
Bring in next patient at 2:05, get them seen, now over 30 minutes behind
Find out that one resident was booked for 2 clinics, all of her patients for this clinic are redistributed, I have 2 more patients to see because we do not turn patients away
Next three patients have acute issues, they take about 30 minutes each, getting close to an hour behind
See add on patients, another one with issues
Get one formal compliant to patient relations about my lack of time management.

I hope you see that the problems is so hard to fix because there are so many problems at so many levels. My clinic is working on the front desk issues, but I still have 20 minutes for patients because if they give me more time, than there will be less apts. But I feel like I work harder in clinic than the inpatient wards because I am always balancing patient care with the race against the clock. I am not at the gym, or out to lunch. And I can tell you, most doctors spend their lunch hour returning patient phone calls.

lover in athens

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/17/2008 10:13:23 PM
Author: LtlFirecracker
I am not at the gym, or out to lunch. And I can tell you, most doctors spend their lunch hour returning patient phone calls.

...or catching up on notes/dictations/charting that they didn''t have time to do during pt appt time!!!

and as far as someone mentioning why doctors only see patients from 8-5, well, that''s because those are normal business hours. believe me, doctors give up PLENTY of free time with being on call, etc (as well as missing lunch b/c of the above issues).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results