shape
carat
color
clarity

Need opinions of this stone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Laurie2

Shiny_Rock
What do you think of this diamond?

http://www.bluenile.com/princess-cut-diamond-1-carat-or-less-very-good-cut-h-color-vs1-clarity_LD01290745?__fun_frm=i&filter_id=0#grading_report

I think you will have to cut and paste because I''m having trouble doing the link. This is weird but I''m doing an upgrade to a smaller stone. I''m more educated now and would rather have a small but high quality stone. Thanks for your thoughts.

Laurie2

Shiny_Rock
Thank you JulieN.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1.08 lxw

:)

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry Laurie, I am not great with princesses. Princesses can be difficult to buy over the internet without an aset (I know blue nile does not do them). I personally would lean more towards an AGSO princess if purchasing from them. However if you really want to try this one, blue nile does have a really nice 30d return policy.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I would stay away from the first because of the LxW ratio (this princess is more rectangular than square, unless that''s actually what you''re looking for). The one Julie posted is really nice; I''m actually surprised it''s not listed as an ACA, and it''s not much more expensive than the BN stone. Ditto on looking for princesses from a vendor that can supply more info like pictures and ASETs!

honey22

Ideal_Rock
I agree - check out WF for their ACA Priness line, or at the least aim for an AGS 000 Princess with another vendor.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Laurie what are you looking for exactly, when you say smaller but higher quality, what are your colour and clarity specs? Also BN don't offer pics or ASET images for their diamonds, look at vendors who have in house diamonds.

Laurie2

Shiny_Rock
Loreli,

I like diamonds with some warmth. G-H. The stone I have now isin that range its vs2 in clarity. But sometimes it just looks cloudy depending on the light. Maybe I''m expecting too much. Or maybe this is a poorly cut diamond. But I just want something that sparkles and has good clarity. And I want a princess. I''m going to read up on cut, that''s the one area I know is important but that I''m just not that educated on. Thanks for your help.

JulieN,
Thanks for showing that stone at whiteflash. I''m gong to print that and put it thru the diamond grading tool.

stone_seeker

Shiny_Rock
Have you seen this AGA cut grade tool? May help provide a guide for where Princess specs should fall. But I also agree that choosing a vendor that offers ASET images may help put your concerns at ease and allow more of us to offer an opinion on how the stone will perform.

http://www.gemappraisers.com/oldcutgraderules.asp

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/3/2008 7:47:39 AM
Author: Laurie2
Loreli,

I like diamonds with some warmth. G-H. The stone I have now isin that range its vs2 in clarity. But sometimes it just looks cloudy depending on the light. Maybe I''m expecting too much. Or maybe this is a poorly cut diamond. But I just want something that sparkles and has good clarity. And I want a princess. I''m going to read up on cut, that''s the one area I know is important but that I''m just not that educated on. Thanks for your help.

JulieN,
Thanks for showing that stone at whiteflash. I''m gong to print that and put it thru the diamond grading tool.
Hi Laurie,

It sounds as if it could be the cut quality could be improved on which will give you the performance you desire rather than the clarity, so maybe if that is ok with you, you could consider SI1 if verified eyeclean from one of the trusted and expert vendors - just a suggestion. I would look at some AGS0 Princess which should be good looking diamonds, from an in house vendor, that should make it easier to find a pretty Princess!

Laurie2

Shiny_Rock
Th anks for the help. I''m off to research. This is fun and takes my mind off my health.

Laurie2

Shiny_Rock
I''m looking at stones using the tools from pricescope. Many of them are kicked out because the depth percentage is too high. Is there an ideal depth percentage?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/3/2008 12:47:34 PM
I'm looking at stones using the tools from pricescope. Many of them are kicked out because the depth percentage is too high. Is there an ideal depth percentage?
If you used this chart or similar http://diamonds.pricescope.com/fnc1.asp then use it as a guide only, numbers aren't always a reliable guide to cut quality with fancy shapes. Also the depth doesn't always indicate face up spread in fancy shapes, look at the diamond as a whole and get pics, ASET and trusted vendor input to guide you.

Laurie, I just caught up your health issues, sending you a (((((hug))))) - hang in there!
emrose.gif

mirachelo

Rough_Rock
I am not an expert but it looks good

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/3/2008 3:45:33 PM
Author: swingirl
The Holloway Cut Advisor is for rounds only. Don''t know if that''s what you are trying to use.

Here is another to look at. WF has a nice selection is your size range. James Allen also has a lot.

http://www.whiteflash.com/princess/Princess-cut-diamond-360245.htm
You took the words right out of my mouth! Laurie - don''t put those numbers through the HCA - it is only for rounds.

Brilliant_Rock
Laurie - if you want to post a budget people would be happy to help you with your search if you want assistance!

Laurie2

Shiny_Rock
Thank you so much for the links. I was hoping to stay at or under $1200. I''m most concerned that I get a diamond that doesn''t look cloudy. That''s my biggest disappointment with my current stone.

So in just looking at a stone with the naked eye you wouldn''t see much difference between vs2, s1, or s2? Also when looking at cut, what would jump out to you as a red flag or a stone that wouldn''t look clear or sparkly. Thanks so much for your help.

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/3/2008 6:27:15 PM
Thank you so much for the links. I was hoping to stay at or under $1200. I''m most concerned that I get a diamond that doesn''t look cloudy. That''s my biggest disappointment with my current stone.

So in just looking at a stone with the naked eye you wouldn''t see much difference between vs2, s1, or s2? Also when looking at cut, what would jump out to you as a red flag or a stone that wouldn''t look clear or sparkly. Thanks so much for your help.
What you need is a vendor whose eyes you can trust so that you can call to make sure that a vs2, si1, or si2 stone is eyeclean (and make sure you know their definition of eyeclean - the distance, angles, etc that you want) - as long as you are happy with no visible inclusions to the naked eye, SI stones can be a great value! It is a little more difficult over the internet which is why we often recommend the same general vendors - wink jones, whiteflash, good old gold, etc. They have staff with good eyes that can give you a really good description and have reputations for being honest. You can also contact someone like WInk JOnes or Jon at Good Old Gold and let them know what you are looking for and they can specifically seek out a stone to match your budget.

Clouds mentioned on a grading report COULD (but not necessarily) mean a lack of clarity to the eye on an SI stone, but a trusted vendor can let you know if that is the case. Very Strong fluoroescence could too but this is EXTREMELY rare and the vendor can let you know about that too (many of us on PS prefer fluoroescence in our stones!)

Link to Princess guidelines...

http://diamonds.pricescope.com/fnc1.asp

Brilliant_Rock
Laurie, I had another thought - I don''t know what lab did the report on your stone, but presuming it is a true VS stone...
when is the last time you cleaned it? Diamonds are SERIOUS grease/dirt magnets and I know my diamond will look ''cloudy'' when it gets dirty - have you given it a good scrub lately after soaking with some dish soap and then maybe a little ammonia or windex? (if it is in gold setting may want to minimize the ammonia)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/4/2008 1:25:10 AM
Author: :)
Laurie, I had another thought - I don''t know what lab did the report on your stone, but presuming it is a true VS stone...
when is the last time you cleaned it? Diamonds are SERIOUS grease/dirt magnets and I know my diamond will look ''cloudy'' when it gets dirty - have you given it a good scrub lately after soaking with some dish soap and then maybe a little ammonia or windex? (if it is in gold setting may want to minimize the ammonia)
L has an excellent point, Laurie have you given that diamond a good soak and scrub with an ammonia based cleaner recently? Or a pro clean could help.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results