shape
carat
color
clarity

Can we talk about (stainless steel?) appliances, please?!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
We are going to be doing a full kitchen remodel soon, and as I have never had stainless appliances, I need some PS wisdom and advice, please!

I will be having white cabinets custom made and (probably) black granite counter tops. I think stainless appliances would look lovely BUUUUUT... I have some questions.

I have heard that stainless requires some pretty diligent upkeep; and while we are pretty tidy, it would bug me -- I just don''t want to wrestle relentlessly with spots, smears, fingerprints, etc. on the appliances.

I have researched GE''s "Clean Steel" line and think I LOVE it! The finish is lovely (although a bit *different* than traditional stainless, a bit more grey and *matte*) but it is magnetic (which I REALLY like for the fridge) and supposed to be very resistant to smears, fingerprints, etc. I would get all my appliances in that finish without reservation, BUUUUUUT... I will be needing a drop-in (slide-in) range, and GE doesn''t make any in the Clean Steel finish!!!
39.gif

So, what would you do?

1. Get a traditional stainless range and *hope* it looks OK with the Clean Steel dishwasher and fridge?

2. OR, would you forget the Clean Steel altogether and get all 3 appliances in regular stainless and just fight the smudges (and give up the magnetic aspect of the fridge)?

3. OR, forget stainless altogether and just go with white appliances?

All input, suggestions, and advice welcome! THANK YOU very much.

Lynn

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
Does someplace like Lowe''s or Home Depot or Sears carry both lines so you can see the difference between the finishes in person? I''d say that''s your best starting point. Stainless is really trendy right now and a lot of people expect to see it, but I don''t always think it looks the best, depending on the style of the kitchen and the tile/paint/countertop colors. Some of the home improvement stores have computer programs that can show you how different colors and finishes look -- maybe it would be worth a look before you decide. My parents did this, and ended up with black appliances rather than stainless because stainless just didn''t look right.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i cleaned my new stainless dishwasher when it was installed about 3 weeks ago.....and then put a very very think film of mineral oil on it...didn''t have baby oil but is pretty much the same minus the baby fragrance......and i''m not having any problems with fingerprints.

i HATE white appliances but that''s me. my refrigerator, stove and dishwasher are stainless...next is the microwave which will be a convection/microwave oven combo.

movie zombie

indypitty

Shiny_Rock
Lynn,

I also have white cabinets and black speckled counter tops (laminate, not granite). We have Whirlpool stainless appliances. The fridge is the clean steel finish, which resists fingerprints as you mentioned. All of the other appliances (range, dishwasher, microwave) are actual stainless steel and did not come in the clean steel finish when we built our home four years ago. My understanding was that the other appliances only came in stainless because of the heat associated with the appliances. I can tell you that the fridge looks exactly like the other appliances and fits in perfectly. From my experience, the stainless is no more upkeep than black or white appliances. Even if it was more upkeep, to me the look is totally worth it!

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the info so far!

Sooooo, we think that one appliance (the slide-in range) in *regular* stainless will still look OK with the other appliances being in the Clean Steel finish???

Do most of you have appliances all from one line, or do you pick and choose between brands? If you pick and choose, have you found variations in the stainless finishes between brands? And if so, this doesn''t bother you?

In other words... if your (stainless) appliances were all lined up, side-by-side and *scrutinized carefully* - do all the finishes exactly match?

Thanks again!

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
I love the white cabinets and black granite combo! I almost put it in my kitchen, but, decided on a beige granite. Now I wish I would have gone with the black. It''s such a versatile classic look. I can''t help a lot with the SS. I have a little one and teenage boys so I knew fingerprints would be a neverending battle. I do have a SS grill outside that I use SS cleaning wipes on. They shine it right up. They are oily (like MZ mentioned) so I thik that helps.

Are you looking for a one piece stovetop and oven unit? Or just a range? In addition to the fridge and micro I''m assuming. You could always do a built in oven...
31.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
We just got stainless in our kitchen about a month ago and I will tell you that it''s hard to upkeep...always looks a bit dirty to me because I can''t seem to get a streak free clean even with the special stainless cleaner.

But I still have some irrational love for it for some reason...ours are 2 different brands (GE and Maytag) and ours match. But they are all the basic stainless stuff.

I also HATE the non-magnetic thing, so just for that I would get the magnetic one! And our fridge is the one with the really bad fingerprint problem. The stove and dishwasher stay cleaner.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey, Lynn - how excting to be remodeling your kitchen!

My parents have white cabinets, and they went with white appliances, and they really wish they had gone with SS.

We have the "Clean Steel" on our SS fridge, and I love it. The rest of our appliances are GE Profile, and not the clean steel finish, but I feel because we touch the fridge so much more, that''s where the Clean Steel really benefits us.

Also, after having a stainless steel gas range, if there is an option of not having SS under the burners, but still SS edges where the controls reside, I would take that. If you get rice or anything fairly hard stuck to the surface, it has a much higher chance of scratching during cleaning. I''ve spent many hours with steel wool going WITH the grain to remove the scratches I''ve incurred in about 2 years.
6.gif

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, everyone, for your continued input. This is really starting to stress me out a little!

Date: 8/30/2008 7:29:08 PM
Author: LaurenThePartier

...We have the ''Clean Steel'' on our SS fridge, and I love it. The rest of our appliances are GE Profile, and not the clean steel finish, but I feel because we touch the fridge so much more, that''s where the Clean Steel really benefits us.

Also, after having a stainless steel gas range, if there is an option of not having SS under the burners, but still SS edges where the controls reside, I would take that. If you get rice or anything fairly hard stuck to the surface, it has a much higher chance of scratching during cleaning. I''ve spent many hours with steel wool going WITH the grain to remove the scratches I''ve incurred in about 2 years.
6.gif
Lauren,

Your kitchen is gorgeous! Thanks so much for the info. I have lots of questions for you!!!
1.gif

So, let me make sure that I have this straight -- your fridge is the GE Clean Steel -- and you love it?
36.gif
How is it holding up? Do you put magnets on it? Do they scratch it? Is it really as low-maintenance as they say?

But your other appliances are NOT the Clean Steel? (Are they all GE Profile?) Yet they *match* just fine?! That is what I am most worried about.

Also, you have a cook top and an oven, no? I would probably just get a slide in range. Is there a reason why you chose what you did, instead of a slide in?

And regarding your cook top, you are advising me NOT to get one with stainless on top, right? In other words, where the spills occur? I can see that being great advice, thanks!

Thank you SO much!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
6.gif

SO true. Great point. Ours is black metal of some sort under the burners instead of SS, and it cleans wonderfully. I would hate to have SS there!

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/30/2008 7:15:01 PM
Author: Miranda
I love the white cabinets and black granite combo! I almost put it in my kitchen, but, decided on a beige granite. Now I wish I would have gone with the black. It''s such a versatile classic look. I can''t help a lot with the SS. I have a little one and teenage boys so I knew fingerprints would be a neverending battle. I do have a SS grill outside that I use SS cleaning wipes on. They shine it right up. They are oily (like MZ mentioned) so I thik that helps.

Are you looking for a one piece stovetop and oven unit? Or just a range? In addition to the fridge and micro I''m assuming. You could always do a built in oven...
31.gif
Thanks for the reply, Miranda! I think the black and white will be gorgeous, too... I am pretty jazzed about that. I am looking for a granite with a LOT of variation in it, and hopefully a LOT of mica (sparkle)!
30.gif

I will be buying a fridge, dishwasher, microwave and range. I am looking at slide-in ranges. I like the look of a cooktop, but I don''t really have any wall space for a wall oven, so the oven would have to go right below the cooktop, and in that case, a slide-in range does the same thing for less money! (Unless someone has other info on that!)
33.gif

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/30/2008 7:56:57 PM
Author: Lynn B
Thanks, everyone, for your continued input. This is really starting to stress me out a little!

...We have the 'Clean Steel' on our SS fridge, and I love it. The rest of our appliances are GE Profile, and not the clean steel finish, but I feel because we touch the fridge so much more, that's where the Clean Steel really benefits us.

Also, after having a stainless steel gas range, if there is an option of not having SS under the burners, but still SS edges where the controls reside, I would take that. If you get rice or anything fairly hard stuck to the surface, it has a much higher chance of scratching during cleaning. I've spent many hours with steel wool going WITH the grain to remove the scratches I've incurred in about 2 years.
6.gif
Lauren,

Your kitchen is gorgeous! Thanks so much for the info. I have lots of questions for you!!!
1.gif

So, let me make sure that I have this straight -- your fridge is the GE Clean Steel -- and you love it?
36.gif
How is it holding up? Do you put magnets on it? Do they scratch it? Is it really as low-maintenance as they say?

But your other appliances are NOT the Clean Steel? (Are they all GE Profile?) Yet they *match* just fine?! That is what I am most worried about.

Also, you have a cook top and an oven, no? I would probably just get a slide in range. Is there a reason why you chose what you did, instead of a slide in?

And regarding your cook top, you are advising me NOT to get one with stainless on top, right? In other words, where the spills occur? I can see that being great advice, thanks!

Thank you SO much!
Thanks, Lynn! Glad I could help.

So, in answer to your questions, yes, the fridge is Clean Steel, and I am thrilled with it. I use magnets sometimes, and they've not scratched the surface. We tend to stick things to the side now, anyhow.

The other appliances are GE profile with the traditional finger print prone SS finish. They match very well, IMO, and you'd never know they weren't from the same line.

I chose the built-ins because I love the look. It's probably more pragmatic to get a slide in range, but I have a convection oven, but only 4 burners on the built-in stove, so I wanted the option to upgrade the stove if I ever wanted to without the additional expense of an oven, too.

As far as the cooktop - yes! I wish someone would have told me how much SS scratches when you try and clean spills with hard dry goods. Pasta and rice are the worst! I'm not sure it's possible to get a range set up this way, but I know there are some cooktops that have a SS frame with black enamel under the burners.

If you have a completely SS covered cooktop, invest in some fine gauge steel wool.
2.gif

I can't wait to see more pics of your remodel process. I think it'll be neat to watch the transformation!

sbde

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Lynn,

we''ve got ss bosch appliances throughout our kitchen, and to tell you the truth we haven''t really had any fingerprint issues or problems cleaning them. of course we don''t have any kids around to touch them with sticky hands!

we use pledge SS cleaner to clean them and have had no streaks - i guess the stove is the one appliance that gets the dirtiest but if you clean it on a daily basis then you will be fine. HTH!

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Lauren,

Thank you so much for the additional info! xoxox!

I am sooooooo happy to hear that the Clean Steel blends/matches just fine with the regular SS. THAT''S a BIG YAY for me!!!
36.gif
If I go that route, and get all Clean Steel except the slide-in range, one *plus* (I think) is that my kitchen is U-shaped, and each appliance is on a different wall. So, with different lighting/shadows, etc., I thought that would be a nice "camouflage".

OK... when you were choosing your appliances, how much did you concern yourself with the *styles*, handles, etc., matching? I just don''t know how anal to be with all of this!!!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif

THANK YOU!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like matching finishes. This mismatch would bother me more than a few fingerprints. We have stainless and I don''t think there is *that* much upkeep. The stainless cleaner does a good job making it look new again. I also do not personally like the stainless look.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/30/2008 7:27:38 PM
Author: Skippy123
Lynn, this thread has a few pictures of both ss and white appliances. https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/stainless-or-white-appliances.75225/

Yay for a new kitchen, how very exciting?!?! JenAir makes a stove that is the matte finish, just a thought.

eta: MovieZombie I am going to have to try your suggestion!! thanks
Thanks, Miss Skippy!

***MIRANDA!!!*** I just now realized that your kitchen has white cabinets with white appliances!!! If only you had chosen that black granite, girlfriend, I''d have pretty much been able to get a complete visual of my upcoming kitchen!!!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif

Seriously... IF I stay with white appliances (which I do NOT have an adversion to!), I would only have to buy a slide-in range, as all my other appliances are still quite new. THAT would save a LOT of money. But I know that stainless would be lovely, too... and it does seem like the most *popular* option.

SO... what do you guys think? White cabinets, black granite, and white appliances (which would be MUUUUCH less expensive for us!) -- or -- go for it
23.gif
and replace all appliances with stainless???! Consider this a POLL!
2.gif

Thanks!

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
HI Lynn...good luck on you kitchen remodel...

I for one am not of stainless...don''t like the matte look..and the smudging....

The clean look...stainless might be good...

Also...sears Kenmore makes glass like door model that is nice looking...

Our new house...has stainless apps...but the previous owners...took teh fridge....and given my aversion I went on a quest

My...kitchen is maple cab...black granite island... stainless DW/stove with black accents...

I got a black fridge...the new Kitchen Aid counter-depth one (should be in this week)....i don''t mind the slight mismatch

Would black work...they also make the fridges ''panel ready'' so you can blend with cab

there is a great forun for kitchen type stuff

under "garden web" look under forum.

Best of Luck

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
Here is my kitch...when prev owners had it

new hse 7.jpg

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
tte new fridge will be new and counter depth...so not stick out so much

I cant justify changing the other to black or I would

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
is the clean steel the faux stainless steel? if so i heard to stay far away from it. it scratches VERY easily.

i was very worried about getting stainless - true stainless - in our new home. we went for it and NEVER looked back. so happy we have it. it looks great and cleaning it is beyond a breeze. they make those stainless steel wipes. easy peasy.

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
here is the glass looky one from sears...pretty...clean with windex...also Stainless...etc more $$$$$

04678719000.jpg

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/30/2008 9:16:54 PM
Author: jcrow
is the clean steel the faux stainless steel? if so i heard to stay far away from it. it scratches VERY easily.

i was very worried about getting stainless - true stainless - in our new home. we went for it and NEVER looked back. so happy we have it. it looks great and cleaning it is beyond a breeze. they make those stainless steel wipes. easy peasy.
I *think* it''s a real stainless with some sort of clear, durable *laminate* over it.

But if anyone else knows differently, I hope they let me know!

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/30/2008 9:31:02 PM
Date: 8/30/2008 9:16:54 PM

I *think* it''s a real stainless with some sort of clear, durable *laminate* over it.

ah. that sounds better. i just know to stay clear of the faux stainless.
we were really looking to go faux until we found out how badly it scratches.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/30/2008 9:36:07 PM

I would NOT like having to worry about scratches, either.

When shopping, specialty finishes (like the Clean Steel) aside, how do you know whether an appliance is *real* SS or a "faux" stainless?

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/30/2008 9:47:28 PM
Date: 8/30/2008 9:36:07 PM

I would NOT like having to worry about scratches, either.

When shopping, specialty finishes (like the Clean Steel) aside, how do you know whether an appliance is *real* SS or a ''faux'' stainless?

hum. well i think each brand had a different name for the faux stainless. i bet the sales ppl would know more
33.gif

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
haha - Lynn! I''m still bummed I didn''t do the blk counters! I guess my vote is a given. I like white cabinets and appliances. Save yourself some money for bling, girlfriend! Or a playmate for Boo!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
it will say "stainless LOOK" when it is not real SS.

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I hve 2 dogs, a 3 year old and a DH and all stainless appliances in our current home. Fridge is no biggie - easy enough to get the smudges (and doggie nose prints) but the dishwasher is a real pain with the water spots!

We now have a new home under construction and I got cabinet panels on the built-in fridge/freezer and the dishwasher. So the only stainless is the Monogram range and microwave. I can''t take the extra cleaning any more!

I vote for the special finish - and magenetic is a big plus!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results