shape
carat
color
clarity

Boston Post Office Square

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nikmasteed

Rough_Rock
Hi all--

Just bought the diamond with much help from Pricescopers, thanks all! Now I need to turn my attention to how I am going to propose. My idea is still preliminary, but here''s what I''ve got so far...

We live in Boston, and I''ve recently come to really appreciate Post Office Square, a small beautiful and intimate park smack dab in the middle of downtown Boston. We both really love Boston and cities in general, so I thought doing it in an urban, yet intimate setting would be great-- we met, fell in love, and will be having our first child here in about a month!

As far as details, I thought about having some type of flower arrangement set up in advance might be interesting. Then, I coax her over to the flowers to find out what its about. I pick up a flower and accompanying note that says something special, then I get down on one knee and show her the rock. I''ve also thought alot about having some photos taken, maybe by a coworker of mine whom she has never met and who is a pretty good amateur photographer. This coworker could also "guard" my flowers until we get there and just kind of wander to a distance away to take the pics (as I said my girlfriend has never met this person). I''m thinking later in the afternoon on the weekend since it wouldnt be too crowded.

As I mentioned, we are expecting a baby at the end of September (only a month) and I am facing the dilemma of whether I want to propose before or after the baby. Before would be good because I''m excited to do this and to be engaged and also because the weather will not be as cold, making this idea more feasible. BUT she''s also 8 months pregnant-- she already feels self-conscious about having a large belly and having it photographed may not be a great idea in her mind. But if I wait until after the baby, we may NEVER have time to just wander around this area, and also the weather will be getting colder.

Any thoughts are welcome, thanks!!!

10566824.jpg

NuiX

Rough_Rock
The area looks beautiful; I can see why you chose it! I do love an outdoor proposal :) I can see why you''re worried about her not necessarily wanting to be pregnant in her engagement photos. If you''re willing to postpone asking for her hand, you may want to see what the city is doing in/around the park as far as lights go for the holidays. If they aren''t doing anything you could probably get a single tree strung with lights yourself and use that to draw her in instead of the flowers. If you really want to do it before the birth of your son/daughter, you could always tell your photographer-friend about your anxiety and he will hopefully be able to adjust the way he take the photos.

katamari

Ideal_Rock
This is a beautiful park, and a great idea given the personal connection.

Are you talking about professional engagement photos, or just the photos by your co-worker. If it is the ones by your coworker, I say don''t worry about it. If it is the professional engagement photos, I still say don''t worry about it, but instead wait until after the birth of your child. That way you can send one announcement about all of the wonderful things going on in your life! Congratulations, by the way. This sounds like a fantastic year for the two of you!

sklingem

Brilliant_Rock
Nikmasteed -
the park is a nice location. BUT!
- Don't have a stranger (at least to her) be part of your moment. The goals is to have something intimate, right?
- Don't make things too complicated. Maybe the flower arrangements are just really an overkill (and quite unnatural if you ask me) and you would have to guard them (another headache).
- I would propose now, pregnant or not. It is another sign of commitment before you start a family and I think that she would be thrilled. You want to marry her as she is - including the big belly!!
In short: Make it intimate and simple!

nikmasteed

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone--

Rob, I agree that flowers may be both too complicated and unnecessary, I think I just felt that there needed to be some sort of destination. But there are plenty of specific areas in the park I could do it-- there is a small (although out in the open) gazebo and also a water fountain. I could probably just as well lead her to one of those already-present features. (I could also just have a simple bouquet handy) As far as having someone she doesn''t know take the pictures, my intention would be that my co-worker would not be noticeable by my girlfriend at all, and I would show her the pictures after the fact, on a separate day altogether, so as not to "spoil" the intimacy of the moment for her/us.

Thanks for the suggestions by the others as well, the Christmas tree idea is nice but I''m not sure I want to wait that long. I am leaning towards waiting until after the baby arrives simply because she is due pretty soon (Sept 24)-- and I''m still a week or so away from having my ring complete (the diamond is being sent off to be placed into the setting). That means I have to wait for the post-birth dust to settle anyway and may not be proposing until late October. I''d love to do it as soon as possible but the more I think about it that just may not be feasible. Plus, we could always tell our daughter that she was present when I proposed to her mom! (I''ve thought about including the newborn into the proposal, but I keep coming back to dirty diapers somehow making their way in there, and that''s certainly not romantic!)

As far as photos, I''m pretty sure I would not be going professional-- I''d only like a few select photos and the cost probably wouldn''t be justified. My co-worker (if she agrees to help out) is more than capable, I''ve seen some great photos by her and I know she has a really good camera.

Thanks for all of your thoughts!

somehowcollide

Brilliant_Rock
I really like scavenger hunt type proposals. I am planning to do something romantic for my fiance (I am girl, doing something nice for my guy) which includes yellow ribbons. It would begin with a poem/card about how every time I see a yellow ribbon it reminds me of him. We would spend the rest of the day going to some of our favorite spots and each location would have a ribbon tied somewhere significant (this can be simple for you, maybe a ribbon tied at your favorite ice cream parlor, or a flower stand where you''ve already set up a bouquet with a huge yellow ribbon on it). Lastly, you could tie a ribbon around your favorite tree at the park, or some other nice location and propose with a box tied in yellow ribbon. My version would include a yellow ribbon tied somewhere special on me, for him to find later
2.gif

Just a sweet, simple idea. (And for the rest of your relationship your chosen colored ribbon will be used to commemorate special occasions, anniversaries, etc.)

Good luck.

loverocks

Shiny_Rock
Congrats on your upcoming engagement and baby! I just had to reply to this (sorry, I did not read the other responses). My FI proposed in Central Park (where we have many great memories over the years). I really loved it, it was very much like us. We did a wonderful bruch after since it started raining. Anyway, what I wanted to say is I personally LOVE your idea of photos. I am biased, though
2.gif

FI had his brother there (who I am close to also), and he secretly took photos of the engagment and also a few shots after. I have to say, I love them. I have a few of them framed in my living room and one on my nightstand, they literally bring a smile to my face everyday and instantly transport me back to that moment. One in particular is the moment I realized what he was doing and asked me to marry him. The look on both my face and his is priceless. Full of emotion and hapiness. Another that I also love is a really cheesy one where he pointed out his brother to me - I was so suprised. It reminds me of how much thought he put into it. Really, the whole thing was totally our own moment, I did not feel like I "shared" it with anyone. And right afterwards, his brother was gone and that was that. Also, about her being pregnant, I can really see how she might be self conscious about it, but remember that pictures can easily be cropped to show just your faces, etc.
Really, I cherish those pictures more then almost any others that we have (and we are talking 10 yrs of pictures here).

Please let us know what you decide either way! Best wishes :)

nikmasteed

Rough_Rock
love rocks--

thanks so much for your input!! i''m excited to hear that as a woman who experienced a similar proposal that you really cherished it. I am pretty sure I will be going with this idea and location. I''m still not sure as to when specifically yet, but am 99% sure it will be AFTER the baby is born. While concerned about taking pictures of her pregnant during this moment, the real reason is just that I''m incredibly busy preceding the birth of the child. So, I''ll have to figure on a late-October or November proposal. I''ll be sure to keep updating you!

loverocks

Shiny_Rock
nikmasteed - You do have many important things going on with the baby that it really may be best to wait. Good luck, and you have my prayers for a smooth delivery for mom and baby. Please don''t forget to update us, I am excited to hear how it goes!

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I have to admit that the past few times I''ve walked through POS (I work there) I''ve looked around for proposing men
2.gif

Congratulations on the baby and the upcoming proposal!! And forget the flowers, just bring her a chacarero sandwich :), I''d say yes to any man who proposed with one of those!

chacareroyum.jpg

somehowcollide

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/29/2008 4:26:04 PM
Author: NewEnglandLady
I have to admit that the past few times I''ve walked through POS (I work there) I''ve looked around for proposing men
2.gif

Congratulations on the baby and the upcoming proposal!! And forget the flowers, just bring her a chacarero sandwich :), I''d say yes to any man who proposed with one of those!

NewEnglandLady, I looked at that sandwich and thought ''MMM that looks mighty tasty,'' but bells in my head were ringing, like something was wrong. Turns out there is, what looks to me like, meat in that sandwich! And I am a vegetarian (recently turned, only been about a month)! So what exactly is in this chacarero sandwich that''s tempting me so much?? Hmm?

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Not to fear, they make a vegetarian variety!

My husband and I are constantly discussing moving away from Beantown for a few years and the #1 reason on my "reasons not to move" list is Chacarero, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results