shape
carat
color
clarity

Where to propose on Maine coast?!?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fuentes

Rough_Rock
I''m planning a trip with my sweetie soon and we are planning to go and visit along the maine coastline. I''ve never been there before, but i''m looking for a cute romantic town with good food options and places to walk around to...and most importantly, a great place outside with a view to propose. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions of towns to go to?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
8/10/2008 4:20:54 PM

Author:
fuentes

I'm planning a trip with my sweetie soon and we are planning to go and visit along the maine coastline. I've never been there before, but i'm looking for a cute romantic town with good food options and places to walk around to...and most importantly, a great place outside with a view to propose. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions of towns to go to?

Hi, fuentes, you can't go wrong in Maine! I don't know how far up the coast you plan to go, but I have some favorite spots. I love Boothbay Harbor and Bar Harbor the most. One setting I might choose, if you did not want to drive as far north as Bar Harbor, is the little restaurant (I am unsure it has a name) at the end of the peninsula parallel to the one on which Boothbay Harbor is located. (The town at the beginning of the peninsula is Damariscotta.) There is no outside dining and the inside dining is country and rustic, but the sea and the rocks and the lighthouse outside are quiet and private and seem to be at the end of the earth.

On the other hand, if you are driving farther north, you can go to Arcadia National Park at propose outside at a table on Jordan Pond. The specialty there is hot popovers served with butter and jam plus freshly squeezed lemonade to which one adds his own melted sugar water. It is exquisite! I cannot think of a more beautiful natural place or a place that is more quintessential Maine!

You may simply want to wander up the coast and find your own beautiful place, however. Maine is full of them! We used to go to Maine every summer and, after having missed a half dozen years, we are returning there again this year!

Deborah
34.gif

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
AGBF posted good options...another one in the southern part of Maine is Kennebunkport--it''s got many shops and restaurants, plus the beach is really nice.

Acadia National Park is beautiful, I really love it there, but its a long drive if you''re coming from the South...

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
8/10/2008 6:35:52 PM

Author:
NewEnglandLady

Acadia National Park is beautiful, I really love it there, but its a long drive if you're coming from the South...

This is very true! And even Boothbay Harbor is quite a drive if one is only looking for a lovely beach upon which to propose! I was telling you about places where I have been happy to spend a week at a time even at the height of the tourist season. Maine is so very lovely that you can simply cross the border from New Hampshire and find a beach at most of the small coastal towns. We found, by breaking our trip in New Hampshire, that New Hampshire has some charming beach towns (like Hampton Beach), too, even though its stretch of shoreline is very short indeed!

Deborah
34.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
8/10/2008 8:57:20 PM

Author:
AGBF

Maine is so very lovely that you can simply cross the border from New Hampshire and find a beach at most of the small coastal towns.

NewEnglandLady gave me the idea of simply posting a website that showed some of the coastal towns nearest to the border in Maine, towns with beaches. All of them will have lovely seafood restaurants. I am sure that you can search on-line for photos of them and if you pick some you like you can also ask here about any specific towns that take your fancy. Take a look at the map in this link.

http://www.visitmaine.com/region/beaches/

Deborah
34.gif

GoingCrazy29

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/10/2008 6:35:52 PM
Author: NewEnglandLady
AGBF posted good options...another one in the southern part of Maine is Kennebunkport--it''s got many shops and restaurants, plus the beach is really nice.

Acadia National Park is beautiful, I really love it there, but its a long drive if you''re coming from the South...
My FF''s family has a vacation house in Kennebunkport and I would LOVE to be proposed to there! Its so gorgeous and there are some great places on the beach where you can walk out on the rocks. Plus, if you aren''t from there you can find lots of cute little cottages to rent and stay for a few days before or after the proposal.

Any place in Maine would be gorgeous though- maybe at a lighthouse?! My FF and I had a great time driving around to lots of lighthouses and it was so pretty! GOOD LUCK!
1.gif

fuentes

Rough_Rock
Thanks a ton for your suggestions and the website link. We are planning on flying in to Manchester, NH and then driving up the coast. Seems like there are a lot of places that would be scenic and romantic. I may just hold out for the right place and time whenever it happens and propose then, that way I can capture the moment as opposed to force it.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/11/2008 1:36:57 PM
Author: fuentes
Thanks a ton for your suggestions and the website link. We are planning on flying in to Manchester, NH and then driving up the coast. Seems like there are a lot of places that would be scenic and romantic. I may just hold out for the right place and time whenever it happens and propose then, that way I can capture the moment as opposed to force it.
I think this is a fantastic plan!! How exciting for both of you!!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with NewEnglandLady, fuentes. You will find many beautiful places, but only you will know the exact right moment. I like the idea of the spontaneity. Maybe you can tell us about it later...if it is not too personal.

Deborah
34.gif

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/11/2008 1:36:57 PM
Author: fuentes

That sounds great! If you''re still looking for ideas though, I''ll plug the spot where my husband proposed. We got engaged at Nubble Light, one of the most photographed lighthouses around. It''s in the Cape Neddick area of York, Maine (right near Route 1, which is off of I-95). It''s on its own little island that you can''t really get to, but you can walk around the park (Sohier Park), climb down the rocks, and sit and watch the waves. It''s one of my very favorite places. There''s also a little visitor''s center there, and there''s a great casual restaurant, Fox''s, that has really good ice cream. We always end our day at Nubble with a stop at Fox''s.

If you''ll be in the York area, I can also give you some recommendations as far as restaurants go. There are so many great ones. From the Manchester Airport, York is probably a 45 min-1 hour ride. You''ll also be going through Portsmouth, NH if you''re traveling up the Maine coast from the Manchester airport. Downtown Portsmouth is great as well.

fuentes

Rough_Rock
thanks a lot for your responses. I checked out Nubble Light and it seems like the kind of place I''d like to do it. It''ll just depend on the timing, but from what I''ve seen as I look through the internet, I''ll have plenty of spots that will be scenic and visually romantic enough. I''ll be up there for 5 days around labor day weekend...wish me luck!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results