shape
carat
color
clarity

New York City Proposal Help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Tsmi448

Rough_Rock
Alright so I have just about finished the purchasing of the ring and now feel that is time to focus the efforts on the second half of the planning. I might be a little early on asking this but I am kind of crazy when it comes to making plans so I apologize already. Here is the game plan she works in NYC so figured I would meet her after work and we would get dinner. My original thought was possibly Blue Hill, any thoughts on this choice and I am open to suggestions. My one worry is that the next step will be a play/musical because she used to be in her words "theater geek". So not sure if Blue Hill is really near the theater district. So I am open to suggestions for places that would closer to there. The thing that looked cool about Blue Hill was a tasting menu for only $68 which is seemed like a decent price for a good restaurant in NYC. After the play is when I will finally pop the question and want to do it on either Empire State Building or Top of the Rock (Haven''t made my mind up). Ok here is again where I could use some NYC pricescope help after this I want to take her to a bar where I will have arranged to have a lot of our friends waiting who will not know either but I need some suggestions on location. We are all in our early to mid 20''s but nothing to trendy and preferably not too loud, and around mid-town would be great but suggestions else where would be awesome.

Please feel free to comment and just as a FYI this plan will not be going down until late September or early October but figured if I nail down the restaurant/ bar early I can make reservations to get good tables. This is an early thank you to everyone.

LeggoMyEggo

Rough_Rock
For the bar, go to The Park on 10th Ave. and 18th(?) St. It''s got an upscale, funky Asian-ish atmosphere. Drinks are a bit pricey but hey it''s NYC. It''s got lots of different rooms and you could reserve one for your friends. Good luck!

azbuyer

Shiny_Rock
Park and Blue Hill are all great ideas. I live in NYC with my girlfriend and I''ve struggled with the same idea because I cant think of anything to do in my own town! We go to a lot of places so I''m not sure what would be considered special. I wish I were a tourist and can just go to the empire state building but since we grew up here its really tough.

in the end I decided to plan a trip up to the Cape and will do it there. But Blue Hill is nice, Park can be noisy depending on the night but if you want to have all your friends there its a great choice. do you also live in nyc?

Tsmi448

Rough_Rock

I am sorry for the delay I was out of town for the weekend. No I am not from NYC but my girlfriend is from Long Island and works in Manhattan. So the tourist things are out although as a theater geek she loves to do Broadway anytime we can do it. I haven''t decided on the exact plan but was thinking of just popping the question maybe in the park (she works about a block away) and then just keep surprising her with everything planned throughout the evening. I agree I wish I could just take her up to the Empire State but she has lived in the area her entire life and is against the tourist things because she has done them a lot.

Also I hear the top of the MET is really nice. Any thoughts on that location?

taovandel

Brilliant_Rock
I love New York!

Any idea on what show you would see? I''d recommend Wicked, Hairspray, The Lion King, Spring Awakening, Mary Poppins, Jersey Boys.

Also, she might not like touristy things, but Top of the Rock is lovely. It''s relatively quiet up there with no lines (unlike the Empire State Building). It''s got the most fabulous views....

As for bars, not sure how busy/trendy it is. But The View at the Marriott Marquis has a rotating bar at the top of the hotel. I hear the food is terrible and their drinks are expensive but great.

stone_seeker

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/4/2008 10:31:20 AM
Author: Tsmi448

I am sorry for the delay I was out of town for the weekend. No I am not from NYC but my girlfriend is from Long Island and works in Manhattan. So the tourist things are out although as a theater geek she loves to do Broadway anytime we can do it. I haven''t decided on the exact plan but was thinking of just popping the question maybe in the park (she works about a block away) and then just keep surprising her with everything planned throughout the evening. I agree I wish I could just take her up to the Empire State but she has lived in the area her entire life and is against the tourist things because she has done them a lot.

Also I hear the top of the MET is really nice. Any thoughts on that location?
I didnt even know there was a top of the Met and I lvied here my whole life! That whole area can be really romantic as there are a lot of gardens, etc.

Does it have to happen in Manhattan? can you whisk her away to Montauk and catch a nice sunset or dinner on the water?

Tsmi448

Rough_Rock

I didn''t know there was either but according to the website there is, so next time I am there will try to venture up there. See she lives on LI so I thought NY would be a little more special since it isn''t her exact location but then again she will be working in the city come September. Every day I think about it the more it changes, so really I am still just a mess on how this is going to go down. Although it may be delayed because she just changed her mind on a timeline (told me this AFTER I bought the ring) that she doesn''t want to do that until I move to New York. I think she is afraid that once engaged I we would argue who has to move even though I already am planning on it.

Which btw personal plug, young professional looking for entry level job in Financials (sales, support, etc.) in or around NYC, please I''d really liked to get engaged and can''t until I move there lol.

See I floated the top of the Rock as an idea saying I had never done it before and she said "Sure we can go, it’s a tourist thing but a person should do it once...Although it is kind of old for me know" So I think I am putting on the crossed off list even thought I like it.

Thanks for the continued help.

fingerscrossed

Rough_Rock
The rooftop garden at the met is lovely. I think it would be a great spot for the proposal. There are fabulous views of the park and the city. You may want to check the hours. It does get crowded on Fridays.

If she is a theater buff, what about dropping down on one knee and asking near the theater district/Times Square. The city is taking out some traffic lanes and making them pedestrian friendly, so you could have a fairly dramatic backdrop for the proposal. You could even have someone positioned with a camera to record the moment.

I prefer a quieter setting, but she might like the lights of broadway.

I don''t go out much anymore but some fun places I recall in midtown: Flute Lounge, Monkey Bar, St. Barth''s outdoor bar; Ava Penthouse; Pentop Bar at the Peninsula; bar at the Royalton hotel.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results