shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it wrong to wear a white patterned dress to a wedding?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sha

Ideal_Rock
I have a wedding tomorrow and one of the only suitable things in my closet is a white patterned sundress, made of cotton (morning wedding). The top part of is plain white, with straps, and the skirt part has a diagonal brown, rust, and gold design criscrossing on a white background. It''s knee length. Do you think this would be okay to wear to a wedding?

(I did a major faux-pas a couple years ago when I wore a long, white, flowy dress to a casual friend''s wedding. I had no idea at the time it was wrong!
23.gif
Silly me.
40.gif
So I don''t want to repeat the same mistake here).

Thoughts? Is anything white off-limits?

WishfulThinking

Brilliant_Rock
I have no idea... if you wore it to my wedding I wouldn''t mind one bit, but I''m only me.

A few weeks ago someone posted about whether to wear a red dress, and for some reason that is generally off-limits as well?
33.gif
I would imagine anything white is generally considered off-limits, but personally as long as no one could possibly mistake you for *being* the bride I am not sure why anyone would care that much.

Sorry I''m no help! I hope you get the advice you need. :)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pics?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think if the dress is mostly white, it''s a no. If the stripes are big so that the bottom of the dress is clearly multicolored/bright, and it''s short, it''s probably fine.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/8/2008 7:01:18 PM
Author: WishfulThinking
I have no idea... if you wore it to my wedding I wouldn''t mind one bit, but I''m only me.
Ditto. I wouldn''t wear it (because I play it safe with stuff like that), but I wouldn''t mind if someone else did.

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
If you''re worried about it then I would wear a different dress just to be safe.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Within reason, meaning no one should ever show up in pants, jeans, or more casual attire, any color that isn''t stark white or ivory should be perfectly suitable to wear to someone''s wedding. What I find inappropriate are the dresses that obviously should be out club-hopping instead of attending a wedding. As long as you never draw attention, good or bad, to yourself and away from the bride, wear whatever you feel good in.

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
It''s not all white, so it shouldn''t be a problem.

Sha

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the responses so far. Here''s a photo of the dress. What do you think?

dressforsha2.jpg

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
If you wore that to my wedding I wouldn''t take any offense at all. So long as its not entirely white I think you''ll be just fine.

Have fun!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmmm...that is pretty white. Would I care? No. But if you are worried about offending a grandmother or if the bride is at ALL bridezilla or territorial, I would steer clear personally.

Sha

Ideal_Rock
Thanks. It''s a morning wedding, outdoors, and I think it''ll be pretty low-key. Still trying to decide though... Think I will rifle through my closet and see what else I have to wear...

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
This is interesting. I wore a mostly white dress with red embroidered flowers to a day wedding once. It was made out of cotton, came just past my knee and didn''t look anything like a wedding dress. I didn''t think it was a problem, now I wonder if everyone was talking about me behind my back! Haha. Seriously, it was a severely expensive wedding and the ceremony was in a chapel. I felt the dress made me look fun rather than sexy (I really wanted to avoid sexy) and I felt it was appropriate. The bride had on a very wedding-y dress so it wasn''t like I could have remotely competed with her. If she was upset by it, she didn''t show it one bit.

tiffanytwisted

Brilliant_Rock
I think that dress would be fine to wear to a wedding.

violet02

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/8/2008 8:18:14 PM
Author: neatfreak
Hmmm...that is pretty white. Would I care? No. But if you are worried about offending a grandmother or if the bride is at ALL bridezilla or territorial, I would steer clear personally.
Ditto!!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wouldn''t mind it at all. Are you going to wear something over it at all, or just the dress?

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
That dress will not compete with a wedding dress. You will be fine.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
My BM''s boyfriend wore a white suit to my wedding---which pissed my DH off....

But no, I think you''re dress would be more than fine...it certainly looks nothing like a wedding dress, and it''s really cute!

However, if you''re feeling uncomfortable, I thinks its best to error on the side of caution...and find something else to wear. There is no feeling worse in the whole world than wearing something and worrying about it all night long!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with surfgirl. It is pretty white. I wouldn''t care if someone wore it to my wedding but if you think that the bride might mind, then I''d wear something else. It will not look like a wedding dress though so I can''t see a problem.

Sha

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, y''all! I tried it on again, though, and it doesn''t look as good on me as I thought - so I''ll wear something else. If it looked better I probably would''ve chanced it - I don''t think the bride would have minded.

The wedding is in 45 min so I''m going to get ready. It starts at 7:45! Talk about early!

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results