shape
carat
color
clarity

Hours of entertainment- my little color change sapphire

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

icekid

Ideal_Rock

I must first admit that I''ve actually been looking for a mint garnet to commemorate my graduation. However, that search has been going quite poorly. A few false starts, returned stones, and one especially disappointing experience. But that saga should probably be for a different thread and I''ve kind of given up for now.

So when I found this little guy for a ridiculously reasonable price from Dan Stair, I figured why not! Having little to go on except one picture from Dan and his description of the stone as "somewhat strange" I was not really sure what to expect. Plus this was the first color change I''d ever seen in person. When I received the stone, I was working long hours and not seeing much time outside of work. So I tossed the little guy in my pocket and carried it around, discreetly (I hope) taking him out during different lighting situations to see what new characteristics it might take on. Even my hubby who generally just humors my little hobby was impressed with the color change.

In diffuse sunlight- it is green green but with some golden yellow at the center. In my car (so I guess also diffuse sunlight really), tons of teal flashes! Direct sunlight seems like a darker green with lots of firey flashes.

Then in artificial incandescent light, it flips to this sort of purple/orangey/brown hybrid depending on the situation. Lots of orangey flashes w/ recessed lighting.

Naturally I''ve been quite excited to share my little gem (.75 ct FYI) with my lovely pricescopers. However, it''s proved quite difficult to photograph. I''ve finally got some decent shots, but... my camera obstinately refuses to pick up any of the green change! Basically all of the photos that will follow were taken outside where the stone looks green to me, yet my camera continues to perceive the purple hue. Does anyone know why this would be? I wonder if the little thing is just tricking my eyes with this green bit. Well, if anyone has ideas on how to pick up the green, I''ll be glad to include some more pictures but this is the best that I can do for the time being.....

First, here is Dan''s picture...

sa971.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
OMG!!!YOU BOUGHT IT!!!I was so looking into it!!!!YAY!!!!

Just curious, how long did it take you to get your stone?

icekid

Ideal_Rock
ohhhh Freke, it''s SUCH A COOL stone! I am so in love with it!!! And Dan was super fast w/ the shipping. If I recall correctly, I paid him Wednesday, he shipped it on Thursday and I got it on Tuesday (which was 4th of July weekend, and across the country shipping).

Ok... back to the pictures!

Looking more stoney purple/blue

IMG_2718.jpg

icekid

Ideal_Rock
another..

IMG_27s19.jpg

icekid

Ideal_Rock
more hints of red

IMG_2720.jpg

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Way Kewl!

I have never seen one of those in person either! What makes it change? Lighting conditions (yeah probably a dumb question but....).

Congratulations.

LS

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
How fun!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow! It''s awesome! What lighting are those under?

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Finally some orangey flashes..

IMG_2736.jpg

icekid

Ideal_Rock
ALL of these pictures are taken outside, at different times of day. However, these photos are much more representative of what the stone looks like inside w/ artificial light. I cannot for the life of me get the camera to see the GREEN in this stone. Sooooo frustrating. If anyone has any ideas, I will gladly take more pictures!!

IMG_2740s.jpg

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh that stone is beautiful. I love it. OK now, how are you going to set it.

Linda

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm so glad a PSer got it. So what do you think you'll do with it?

I wonder what kind of light he had it under for the pic on his site? I bet that would be SO HARD to capture on camera!!

ETA: Linda and I are definitely on the same page!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooooo, I love it! Aren''t color change sapphires so fun? You''ll find yourself playing with it all the time.
36.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
another

IMG_2742s.jpg

icekid

Ideal_Rock
purty little rock

IMG_2743s.jpg

icekid

Ideal_Rock
colorful sparkles...

IMG_2757s.jpg

icekid

Ideal_Rock
last photo until I get some that show the color change..

IMG_2759s.jpg

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Catmom- YES it''s so much fun! I''ve still been carrying it around with me in its little box because it looks different everywhere!

How to set it.... well I''ve been thinking about that a lot! It definitely has to be a ring, or else I won''t be able to see it! I was first thinking bezel, something like this stuller. However, I know a bezel can darken up a sapphire and I don''t want to do that too much. So maybe compromise and do half bezel?? I am certainly open to brilliant ideas
9.gif

12712_W_1-6-5.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ooooo....I like the bezel ring idea, but yeah on the darkening thing. Is it about the same darkness as it looks in the pics?

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Very cool stone, icekid! It''s a mood stone!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/17/2008 7:00:32 PM
Author: FrekeChild
Ooooo....I like the bezel ring idea, but yeah on the darkening thing. Is it about the same darkness as it looks in the pics?
Hmm, outside in its green incarnation it is definitely brighter than the pictures. Inside, I would say that''s a pretty accurate representation.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
It''s so pretty!

Pieface

Shiny_Rock
Nice I was watching that one at Dan''s while I was organising my Spess, glad to see a PSer picked it up. A colour change stone is definitely on my wish list. I''m sure you will be playing with that stone for ages
1.gif

I feel your pain on the photo''s. I have pretty much failed to capture the right colour of my spess. I had to play around with it in the photo editing software to get the right (closer) colour in my avatar.

Dan''s shipping and response time has been great when I have dealt with him. Less than a week from the US to me in Oz and very prompt on the email service, he''s top notch!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results