shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it ok to celebrate birthday at RH?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
I was watching Bridezilla''s last night with FMIL, FSIL, and FGMIL.

The bride had a step-mother/mother(I think) who''s birthday fell on the same day as the RD. She told her dad ahead of time that if he brought a birthday cake to to RD for her, she do something they would all regret.

Well, after the bride''s speech, the dad whipped out the birthday cake and everyone at their table started singing happy birthday... The bride lost it. It ended with her shoving her hand into the cake, grabbing a great big handful and stuffing it into her dad''s face.

The dad''s arguement was that he paid for the dinner so he should get to do whatever he wants...

I know her reaction was extreme, but what would you do? Would you be ok with this? Would you be hurt that your dad went against your wishes? or was she just being selfish from the beginning?

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
HAHAHAHA her reaction must have been Hilarious to see.

I''m sorry but its her own fault. I''m pretty sure she knew it was on the same day as her step mother''s birthday and while dad could have picked a better time to whip out the cake, it isn''t fair that her birthday is ignored because she absolutely had to have it on that day.
38.gif

PearlDahhhling

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/14/2008 10:29:04 AM
Author:meresal

Well, after the bride''s speech, the dad whipped out the birthday cake and everyone at their table started singing happy birthday... The bride lost it. It ended with her shoving her hand into the cake, grabbing a great big handful and stuffing it into her dad''s face.

Woah woah woah... Can we say CHILDISH? And someone actually wants to marry her?!?!
33.gif

I think that is absolutely ridiculous! She knew when her mothers birthday was, and she knew when the RD would be. She could''ve changed things around if she didn''t want them to fall on the same day. Or she could have been polite and gracious and taken the opportunity of having the whole family together to wish her mom a happy birthday and actually act like an ADULT. I just can''t even believe there are people out there who would do things like that and then turn around and think they''re mature enough to be getting married.

Personally if it were me, I would''ve planned the two events to be on separate evenings, because I am pretty big on birthdays and would want to take my mom to go do something that was ALL about her and her birthday. But if it just happened to be on the same day as my RD then I would be happy to take some time and celebrate my mom!

Some people...

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
I think both the dad and the daughter were a bit selfish in the story you shared; he knew she was a bridezilla, she''s filming for the show, so doing something she''s said will make her angry seems a bit silly and shortsighted, but it was probably scripted by the director. Personally, I love a reason to celebrate: birthdays, marriage, anniversaries, etc., and I would be more than happy to have another happy occasion honored at my wedding (we didn''t have a rehersal dinner).

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Fiery: The entire show was quite amusing...

Date: 7/14/2008 10:40:02 AM
Author: PearlDahhhling

Woah woah woah... Can we say CHILDISH? And someone actually wants to marry her?!?!
33.gif
This is actually her remarriage to the 2nd husband... because she was actually married before that time as well. If I can think of her name, bc to be hoest I think EVERYONE should see this one.

She made her mom color her hair to match the other bridemaids better. Though, we all agreed that she only made her change it bc the bride wanted to be the only blonde in the pictures.

Ohh god, the kicker!!! She wanted her 16 yr old daughter to stuff her bra for the wedding, so that she would look "sexier"!!!
23.gif

princesss

Ideal_Rock
It was actually pretty awful to watch.

I think though, that as a bride you get 1 day. Not 3, not a week, 1 day. There are things that are a little rude, like announcing your engagement at a wedding related event (so I guess that''s the exception), but birthdays? It''s just more happiness. I can''t see how that could be bad.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Okay, two things. One on topic and one slight threadjack:

1. D''s birthday fell the day before our RD--I briefly thought about having a birthday cake for him at the RD to kill two birds with one stone (everybody would be together already). In the end, I put together a little get-together at a local restaurant the day before the RD so that we could celebrate them separately. I realize that birthday get-together, rehearsal dinner THEN wedding was a lot to celebrate 3 days in a row, but I thought they all deserved their own celebration, haha.

2. I haven''t watched Bridezillas in forever, but last weekend I was browsing through On Demand and decided to watch the most recent episode and it was last week''s. Seriously, that woman was so abusive and insane that I thought the couple had to be acting. Do you think it could be fake? I hate to think that anybody would put up with that, it''s terrible. I''ll have to watch this week''s episode to see how it turned out...maybe a house fell on her.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/14/2008 11:11:04 AM
Author: NewEnglandLady

maybe a house fell on her.
lol.gif

Seriously though, I doubt the sincerity of some of these shows. Don’t they get paid or have a portion of their wedding paid for? Either way I’m sure that parts of it are scripted. That’s like the show “Moment of Truth” It’s so unbelievably fake that its annoying just to watch.

labbielove

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t even know what to say.
We had 2 milestone birthdays in our family on the day of the RD, but chose to celebrate them at the wedding before the dancing started since 1 family member wasn''t at the RD.

So, clearly we had the total opposite reaction to her "issue"

I find it more sad that her own father didn''t know what a selfish girl he had raised. So, he probably deserved what he got, since she did warn him!

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/14/2008 10:35:08 AM
Author: fieryred33143
HAHAHAHA her reaction must have been Hilarious to see.

I''m sorry but its her own fault. I''m pretty sure she knew it was on the same day as her step mother''s birthday and while dad could have picked a better time to whip out the cake, it isn''t fair that her birthday is ignored because she absolutely had to have it on that day.
38.gif

I agree! That is crazy! I mean, it''s still her day, gosh, just let them sing happy birthday, don''t make an A** out of yourself! The dad shouldn''t have done it after she threatened him (esp. if he knows how crazy she is!) I mean she THREATENED HIM! Come on! he should have known she was going to go bonkers! If she had let them sing the stupid song...the whole night woudn''t have been akaward and ruined. That was dumb...she''s dumb. Wow...I''m flabbergasted!
6.gif

havernell

Brilliant_Rock
My fiance's parents anniversary falls on the day after we get married. We are planning to have a farewell "brunch/lunch" on Sunday that we host ourselves (something really simple like sandwich trays and chips in the park). My fiance would also like to have a cake there for his parents and turn the event into an anniversary party for them because most of the family will be there already. I am totally in favor of the idea! Part of the significance of a wedding is bringing families together. So, if another family milestone event falls around your wedding date, I think that's all the more reason to celebrate it right along side the wedding. Why wouldn't one want to celebrate their loved ones during a weekend that should revolve around love?

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn''t have minded having a birthday cake and singing happy birthday to my aunt whose bday fell on the day of our rehearsal dinner, but she was adamently against being singled out so we just quietly gave her a gift. I think the bride was selfish to not want to do anything for her mom/stepmom, but I think the dad was very out of line for doing it after he had already been told that it would make her upset (didn''t see the show, so I''m going off of the description in the post).

While I do believe in the "You only get one day" mentality to an extent (as in it''s crazy to say that no one can have anything else going on in the x amount of time before or after your wedding). I think that the rehearsal dinner, shower, bachelorette party, etc are wedding events and unless the bride is ok with sharing these events with someone else, it shouldn''t be done. That doesn''t mean that there couldn''t have been another event specifically for her mother''s bday the same day or weekend.

Personally, I was more than ok with sharing the spotlight. Like I said, I would''ve loved to have done a cake for my aunt and had everyone sing to her, but she didn''t want it. MY SIL (FSIL at the time) and I did a joint bachelorette/21st bday party and we also recognized my brother-in-law and sister-in-law with a dance at our wedding since their anniversary was the day before.

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
Oh god. Whatever. That show really gets on my nerves. I would have no problem observing a close family member's birthday at the rehearsal dinner. In fact, I'd probably be happy to take some of the attention off myself for a while. Especially if the dad was paying for it, anyway.

My wedding falls on the birthdays of two of my friends, and I intend to have the DJ wish them a happy birthday, and maybe even sing to them at the wedding. I wonder how that bridezilla would react to THAT plan.

Yeesh.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
I didn''t see last night, but the previous week''s was on OnDemand, and whoa...that woman is nuts. Her name was Lisa BTW. I personally loved his lawyer''s reaction after the prenup signing that she stormed out of: "Why are you going through with this again?!" Hahaha!!!

doodle

Brilliant_Rock
wow...some people just have absolutely no class. also, i can''t imagine doing something like that to my father after all the time, energy, and money he has put into giving me the day i dream of, regardless of my views on birthday cake! that just makes me sad.

JerseyGrl81

Shiny_Rock
I saw that episode too- that bride was out of control with everything. I really dont understand how her exhusband could remarry her!

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/14/2008 12:30:41 PM
Author: havernell
My fiance''s parents anniversary falls on the day after we get married. We are planning to have a farewell ''brunch/lunch'' on Sunday that we host ourselves (something really simple like sandwich trays and chips in the park). My fiance would also like to have a cake there for his parents and turn the event into an anniversary party for them because most of the family will be there already. I am totally in favor of the idea! Part of the significance of a wedding is bringing families together. So, if another family milestone event falls around your wedding date, I think that''s all the more reason to celebrate it right along side the wedding. Why wouldn''t one want to celebrate their loved ones during a weekend that should revolve around love?
I agree with you 100%! My parents'' 34th anniversary is the day after our wedding. We offered to have a special dinner with them on that day, but they told us our wedding was celebration enough, so we are leaving immediately after the reception for our 4-days mini-moon (which works out well with my work schedule too). We are, however, doing a special tribute to them with their wedding song during the reception.

ljsmith001

Shiny_Rock
I totally feel like parts of the show are fake! I mean seriously? Can people REALLY act like that? Like when she hated her wedding band and threw it in a glass of wine? Would anyone out there really do that? And then the husband to be (for the second time) said, "It''s better than being alone." It was truly a trainwreck to watch and I feel sorry for that guy, they are probably already divorced again. But, yeah, the fact that she even had any bridesmaids was astonishing to me!! And I would be happy to celebrate a birthday at my rehersal dinner. Good god! Actually my dads bday is 1 day before my wedding rehersal, maybe I will surprise him with something special!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
I saw those episodes too. Do you think they were real or put on??? That woman is nuts!!! If I were her mother, I would really have a hard time not cracking her behind and telling her to just grow up.

Linda

ilovethiswebsite

Brilliant_Rock
Our wedding is going to fall on the day before my granny''s bday. I am super excited because we can celebrate both at the same time and she is coming in from out of town! Plus I don''t get to see my granny often and I love her to death!

DMBsGirl

Brilliant_Rock
FFIL''s bday is the same day as our wedding. I plan on having a cake for him there and singing happy birthday to him as well. So this behavior you are talking about just seems so ridiculous to me!
I know exactly which bridezilla you are talking about too , the crazy blonde right? i missed this episode but saw the previous one, she is just terrible. I couldnt believe how she treated her FH when he presented her with her wedding band (it didnt have diamonds on it so she called it a piece of crap, threw it back at him, and walked out of the restaurant, ugh!) in all honesty, while watching the previous episode i wondered if it was fake, she was just tooooo over the top with her brattiness, and she did say she was an "actress." personally i hope it''s fake, because otherwise her ex-husband/fiance is truly an idiot for staying with her!

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/14/2008 11:39:50 PM
Author: DMBsGirl
FFIL''s bday is the same day as our wedding. I plan on having a cake for him there and singing happy birthday to him as well. So this behavior you are talking about just seems so ridiculous to me!
I know exactly which bridezilla you are talking about too , the crazy blonde right? i missed this episode but saw the previous one, she is just terrible. I couldnt believe how she treated her FH when he presented her with her wedding band (it didnt have diamonds on it so she called it a piece of crap, threw it back at him, and walked out of the restaurant, ugh!) in all honesty, while watching the previous episode i wondered if it was fake, she was just tooooo over the top with her brattiness, and she did say she was an ''actress.'' personally i hope it''s fake, because otherwise her ex-husband/fiance is truly an idiot for staying with her!
I agree that she was way out of line and over the top. Lisa does state on many occassions that she''s an actress and model. I can''t help but think she was playing it up for the cameras. Copola is their last name and she definitely got people talking about her. My favorite part of the show was when she met nailzilla and customerzilla.
9.gif
They were funny IMO.

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Yup, caught a bit of that episode last night (Don''t love Bridezilla but I do like some of the other wedding shows). That lady was a crazy, spoiled, PITA!!! My BF was watching out of the corner of his eye and was in hysterics when she threw a fit at the meeting with the lawyers, saying, and I quote, "He''s re-marrying that b*tch? This has to be fake..." I agree that sometimes that show seems staged. At least he had the good sense to make her sign a pre-nup...

But yea, she was ultra-annoying and I had to couldn''t keep watching that train-wreck.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
My other favorite part...

The grandmother''s solution, "Don''t re-marry. Just live next door to each other, and "visit" whenever you feel the "need"." LOL!!!!

Junkenpo

Shiny_Rock
my RD has been pre-empted by birthday parties for 2 nephews..whose b-days are not actually that day, (one is that week, the other the previous month) but my brothers are going to be here that weekend for my wedding. I kinda wish they had picked another day... the day before or the day after even.... They asked if I was okay with it... was I really supposed to say "no" to my nephews?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results