shape
carat
color
clarity

Off Running

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
In Davenport IA on July 28th, there''s this major road race called the Bix 7 (7 miles). Through his work, my husband gets a free entry. He found out that this also applies for the "Quick Bix" which is a 2 mile run, basically up this huge hill and back down again. He told me he wanted to enter...and in a moment of complete insanity, I said "Sweet, sign me up, too!!"

For a normal person, maybe this isn''t a big deal, but um...I''m completely out of shape and a touch over 200 lbs. I tried jogging this past week, and I could do about 1/2 a mile without feeling like I''m dying. I REALLY want to do this run - I love having a goal and something to work toward, but my body has not been reacting well to my sudden urge to be fit. I''m a little achy this week.

So, for you runners out there, how do I get started on a good training schedule? In the last week, I''ve jogged a few more times (up to about .75 mi now, with some short walking), I did 2 miles on the treadmill at the Y and it took me exactly 30 minutes (also some walking), and since my legs have been feeling like they''re going to fall off, I did a Zumba class yesterday instead of jogging. I looked at the Mayo Clinic''s website for 5k training, and they recommended that runners who can do 1 mile comfortably should be at 2 miles after about 6 weeks...am I heading toward disaster, or can this be done??

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Elmorton, I think you are doing great. Check out Hal Higden and Jeff Galloway''s websites and/or books for more ideas. As long as you just listen to your body about what pace to run, and walk when needed, I think you''ll be just fine with your training program and the amount of time you have. Be sure you are wearing proper running shoes for your foot type to avoid injury (check with a running store if you are not sure) and stay hydrated during your training!

choro72

Brilliant_Rock
Make sure you don't run 7 days a week. Take at least a day for break. I heard the best way is to run every other day. Remember to stretch afterward, and remember your Warm Up and Cool Down exercises.

Here's to cheer you on!!
cheerleader1.gif

dothewave.gif

Blair138

Brilliant_Rock
I 2nd TanDogMom-Hal Higdon has really good training schedules that map out each day and he has them for beginners to experienced runners. I am currently using his half marathon training schedule. GOOD LUCK!!

ETA: hal higdon has a website with his schedules for free-halhigdon.com

dancingqueen

Shiny_Rock
I have to chime in here... I’ve done Bix the past six years. I LOVE this race. You will have a blast and enjoy it so much.

When I first started running (about 10 years ago), I did a combination of running/walking and worked on trying to increase the segments of time spent running each time. My first event was a 5K about 10 years ago. I never thought I would be able to run 3 miles. Since then, I’ve done a marathon and multiple triathlons.
Also, keep in mind that the day of Bix is a zoo. It’s very hard to actually run up Brady unless you are near the front of the pack. You spend a lot of time weaving in and out of people and it’s very easy to get winded and over-excited early on. Take it slow at first and enjoy the experience and the crowd!

I’m sure you’re aware, but the Thursday night training runs are great too. Unfortunately tomorrow is the last one. I’m very disappointed with the schedule of this now. In past years, they’ve had six weeks of training runs leading right up to the week before the race. Regardless, I would try to go downtown and walk the Brady hill a few times. That is great exercise too…. I work downtown and sometimes walk the hill 3-4 times during lunch for a different workout.

Someone mentioned Hal Higdon… he has great training plans too. I followed a program of his for my marathon. However, I would not get hung up on a formal plan at this point. Just get outside and walk/run a s much as you can (remember to take rest days) and do what is comfortable to you. The running will get easier with time.

Good luck! I''ll be out there with you...

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Elmorton...check out this program

Its not for quite the thing you are doing, but should be able to give you some good ideas of how to progress. Good luck!!!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Ditto Miscka - the couch to 5k program is an excellent starting point, and you can always repeat a week if it starts feeling too hard at some point - I know a lot of people who have done that.

One word of advice - be careful with your eating as you start to exercise. You may find your stomach is more prone to getting upset since the exercise can be a bit of a shock to the system, so go easy on spicy, fried and/or high fat foods. Also, if you want to avoid weight GAIN, be careful to make sure you''re not eating a ton of extra food - a lot of people tend to eat more when they start exercising, but it will be a long time before you burn enough calories (if ever - hardly anyone ever does) to really allow you to eat more than normal. If you feel more hungry than usual try to fill up on healthy low-cal high-fiber foods like veggies and water and fruit, etc...

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Hi all! Thanks for the good advice! I''ve been trying all of it! :)

TanDogMom, thanks for the sites - I checked out Hal''s - while it''s certainly not a fancy site in terms of design, there was a TON of helpful stuff there - what a great resource!

Choro, thanks for the reminder to take a day of rest. It''s weird, even though I''m super out of shape, I get this feeling that if I skip a day, I''ll never go work out again, so I want to go do something every day even though I know I should give my muscles time off - but I know I need to listen to your advice. I''ve been trying to combat this by still being active on the rest days but doing something different. Thanks for the cheers!!

Blair, thanks for seconding Hal''s site and the good luck wishes! :)

Dancingqueen, Hi fellow QCer! I''m so glad you chimed in - DH and I really don''t know what to expect from the Bix except that, like you said, it''s a ton of fun. A friend of mine has done it before (and she''s supposed to be coming up here again this year) and all she could remember was "it''s the one with the really big hill!" - so not really that helpful. :)

Our goal is to finish our 2 miles before the winners finish the 7 so we can see their finish. Is that possible or is it just a huge walking crowd in the Quick Bix? We''ve heard that the winner usually finishes in about 30 mins, and right now my time for 2 miles when I''ve been on a treadmill at the Y is 28:45 - and that''s with no incline.

What made you run your first 5k? I know I''m thinking a little far ahead, but I''m thinking that I might sign up for one if I like doing the Bix. In the past, I''ve always had workout goals like "by my wedding, I want to lose X lbs.." which I''ve never reached, but this time, since my goal is "I want to not die in the middle of Brady St. and want to do 2 miles in less than 30 mins," I''m actually more motivated and having fun because my goal seems really tangible and attainable. I could see sticking with this and wanting to do more. Any suggestions for QCA 5ks?

OH - and a big question -- where do you park for the Bix?!?

Miscka, Thanks for the great site! That''s actually what I did today, more or less. :) I walked a block, ran (well, jogged..my pace is REALLY slow) two, etc for about a mile and a half, I think.

AmberGretchen, Thanks so much for the advice about eating. That''s something I definitely haven''t been thinking about at all. I will say, since I''ve started working out (mostly) daily, I really haven''t been wanting greasy or spicy food like I usually do, which has been a good thing - but even though I''ve been eating a touch healthier, I think I''ve probably been taking bigger servings. Muchas gracias for the heads up! I''d be so upset if I started all this exercise and started gaining...part of my motivation is also that I want to be healthier, and I have quite a bit of weight to lose before I''m in that healthy range.

-- So, I''m noticing after a week that it IS starting to get easier. My legs don''t throb after a run (okay, PE shuffle/walk) which is EXCELLENT - I was convinced that my body was going to be hurting indefinitely. I have had an achy hip (I didn''t think hips could ache!) for a few days, but that''s been going away too. I think the hardest thing right now is increasing the running and decreasing the walking....so that''s my goal for this week.

Thanks for all your tips and support!!!

dancingqueen

Shiny_Rock

Hi El,

Trying to see the winners finish will be difficult... I’m not sure where the Quick Bix entrys are seeded at the start of the race, but you should plan on a delay waiting for everyone to make it across the starting line. FYI - In case you’re not aware of this, they block off sections of the side streets that feed into Brady Street for the line-up at the beginning. On the Bix7 entry forms, you indicate your expected finish time and they line everyone up accordingly (in theory the faster runners in front). Depending on where the Quick Bix entrants are lined up at the start, you could easily wait a good 5 minutes or so to even cross the starting line.

Is your husband doing Quick Bix also? There will also be a pretty big crowd around the finish area so it would be pretty hard to come in at the last minute and see the actual finish of the winners. I would just record the race on your tv and watch it later. Channel 6 will have coverage all morning.

I’ve parked in various places over the years. One year, I grabbed a spot in one of the empty lots over by the arsenal bridge. Last year, I rode downtown with a friend who is a member at the Executive Square gym and we parked in their lot. I would head downtown early and you’ll be able to find a space somewhere. Sorry I don’t have a more specific direction other than to just drive around a bit and grab what you can. It’s fun to come downtown early anyway because there is so much “excitement” going on with the crowds, etc. It’s all part of the race!

My first 5K was Race for the Cure. I had been a “fast walker” for a while at that point and just decided it was a great cause and I wanted to try a 5K. I think I heard some coworkers talking about it also. In my opinion, a 5K is a great fitness goal. It’s a good distance and the races are usually pretty popular. The Quad City Marathon has a 5K that morning. This is probably too short of notice, but the Moonlight Chase is this coming weekend (July 12) in Eldridge. I think it is actually 4 miles and it’s a really cool race because it starts at 9:00 pm and runs through all the neighborhoods and is lit by candelabras on the course. There is a big street party afterwards too. (I’m skipping it this year to go see the Travoltas – totally different topic, but my favorite summertime “fun”!)

Run with Carl (Labor Day weekend in Bettendorf) is very popular and you’ll hear lots of advertisements later this summer.
The Killer Bee is early October -- St. Ambrose (I believe during their homecoming).
Cornbelt Running Club’s website has a race schedule and Running Wild typically has all the race applications and is also a good source of information for local events.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
El, I think your goal is great!

I just started running this past year and ran a 10k in early April. I echo the person who said that you have the urge to weave in and out and pass people, but just try to ignore the people around you and stick to your usual pace. I overdid it on the first mile which made the remaining five miles rather unpleasant. I did not make my goal of an hour (I did it in an hour and 4.5 minutes). But the point is that you're doing it, right? So if you get there and think, oh crap, why didn't I practice running up a huge hill in a giant crowd instead of my peaceful jogs through the park, don't panic.

In terms of whether or not you can reach your goal, I've heard that in a race scenario (the cheering crowds, the adrenalin) you can run 50% to 100% more than you normally can. Of course, this didn't apply to me in my 10k, but stupid me walked the 1.5 miles to get the race, and you know the rest of the story . . . So if you are up to running a mile or so when the time comes for the race, you might surprise yourself and get in another mile just on your adrenalin. Or you could plan to walk up the hill but run down it, or you could make it your goal to run up the hill and then see how you feel and walk or run accordingly.

Whenever I added extra distance to my runs, I found it useful to slow down my pace a little. Instead of running at my maximum speed which made me quite winded after 1 or 2 miles, I slowed down and made it my goal to run farther.

I'm sure you can find some specific training suggestions online, but I really think the program has to be something you can enjoy and do comfortably, so I'd alternate doing some or all of these:

*make it your goal to run a few more minutes the next time without worrying about your distance
*make it your goal to run a longer distance the next time without worrying about your pace
*run as fast as you can a short distance, then walk to cool down, then repeat
*make it your goal to run the same distance you ran last time, but do it faster this time
*alternate between times when you try to run a short distance fast and times when you try to run a long distance at a more sustainable pace
*run a good distance at a pace you can keep up with, then when you see the finish line a minute or two away, run as fast as you can until you get there, then walk to cool down

I find treadmill running so much harder than running outside, so if you can stand it and can do it some for training, you may find running outside a cinch by comparison.

Since your race involves a hill, I would definitely practice running up hills.

I would keep your goals for yourself for this race reasonable. I wouldn't say something like, "I will run the whole way, AND I will do it in [x] amount of time." I'd pick one or the other, and if it's the time goal, I'd take the mob of people into consideration and add a couple of minutes onto what you can normally do (you generally get bunched up at the start and it can take a few minutes before it's cleared out enough to do your normal pace). I was disappointed that I didn't make my time goal, but I was still glad that I hadn't walked at all. I hadn't anticipated how much harder running 6.2 miles on cobblestones in a mob of thousands of people would be compared to idyllic runs through the park.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
I'm so glad that you are enjoying your training and glad that the website was helpful!

About why did people decide to do their first 5K... can I answer that even though you asked someone else?

I was getting very bored of my same old gym routine and tired of being overweight. A friend asked if I wanted to sign up and I said sure. I thought, even though I am overweight at least I will be able to complete a 5K. I had been running 2-3 miles on the treadmill so I was pretty sure I could do it. With just a little more training I felt ready. I went and had a great time even though it was hard and a little intimidating. It sparked some internal competition - I wanted to be able to either run longer, or faster, or both, so I started training more seriously and doing more races and never looked back. Also, I like getting a t shirt from each race and wearing them when I run. One more thing, usually the race fees go toward charity and I feel good about that. So, it's been a really good decision for me. It's been aboout 3 yrs since my first race and I've done more than I can count! (What's funny is I haven't done another 5K - I found I prefer the longer races so I do 10K and half marathons and triathlons now!)

By the way I was 50 lb over my preferred weight when I did my first race and 25 lb over it now, although I am in the best physical shape of my life. You see people of all shapes and sizes doing the races!

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Such a wealth of information here!! DQ, thanks so much for answering all my Bix ?s! And Pheonixgirl, thank you also for your training tips!

Tandogmom, thanks for sharing your experience about 5ks! - that''s a question that I''d love to hear the answer to from anyone who has started running, for sure - and AWESOME about your weight loss!!!

Today is my rest day...last week, I timed myself for 2 miles on the treadmill at the Y and my time was 29:45. I was a little bummed. I walked about half of it (ran .25, walked .25, etc) and my pace wasn''t too fast, but I was exhausted by the end.

Yesterday, I went to the Y for the treadmill again (I''ve been running around my neighborhood, biking, and taking a class for my exercise over the last week) - and my goal was to run the entire first mile and do .25 walking .25 running etc on the second.

I didn''t quite make that goal - ran .75 of the first mile, then walked .25, ran .25, walked .25, ran .25, walked .15, and then ran the last tenth full out. My time was 25:30.

I was seriously doing the first pump at the Y when I finished and saw my time! I was so excited - I couldn''t believe that I was able to shave off 4 mins. While I''m guessing next week I''ll be lucky if I shave off just a minute (same goal next week: run entire 1st mile, run/walk the second), I''m hoping that I can continue shaving off time. I know I have a way to go - I''d really like to get under 20 mins (I think I could run an 8 min mile when I played soccer in HS? so it''s possible!), but yesterday''s little victory was so exciting. It''s such a great feeling to make improvement!

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
El, that''s huge! 4 minutes!

I think 10 minute miles is a good goal for yourself except for the mountain of people factor, which might slow you down enough at the start to add a couple of minutes. Just keep that in mind so you''re not disappointed if your time is a bit slower than what you can do in more ideal conditions.

I did my first race because an organization I sponsor at the school where I work was doing it for charity. I''m one of those weird people who can stick to a routine without much outside support (actually would prefer to run alone since it''s sometimes hard for me and I''d rather not have people''s attention on me when I''m having difficulty), so it wasn''t about the camaraderie or anything, I just thought, well, I can already run 5 miles, and this is 6.2 so surely I can work up to that, and I should do it since I want the students to do it.

I''m glad I did it. Although I mostly got in shape by myself (Firm tapes in my basement, diet changes, and running), it was kind of neat to see so many health-conscious people. It changes the way you think when you see a lot of people who make an effort to be in really good shape.

Everyone always says, "Move more" as a tip to be in better shape, but I''ve gotten that from attending races (mostly bike races my husband is racing in) and being around athletes. I realize that the more energy you use up--by taking the stairs instead of the escalator, or walking across the street instead of moving your car, or standing up instead of sitting down--the more energy you have for the rest of the day (and the more calories you burn).

OK, I feel like I''m on a tangent now, but that is what I got from doing my race -- it reinforced my commitment to take care of myself. I was like, "Oh! Not everyone is a lazy slob who can''t climb a set of stairs without getting winded. Perhaps this can actually be done!"

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the support, Pheonixgirl!

I think for the actual race, my goal is just to not "wimp out" - I just want to keep running and do my best. After reading what everyone said about people, excitement, etc, I really don''t want to have any real expectations because I want to have a fun experience and don''t want to end up being disappointed with my performance. Plus, I know my time is going to be MUCH different when I''m actually running outside vs. when I''m at the Y with no incline, on a bouncy treadmill, enjoying air conditioning and a fan blowing on me - but in the Y conditions, I''m thinking that I want to go after that 10 min mile, no doubt! :)

I think it''s cool how you and others have started running b/c of charity. I''ve volunteered at runs before, but never participated because I didn''t think I could do it. :)

Great point about being around athletes - I think that''s part of how I got started really thinking about how I should get in shape in the first place. We live next to a park where no matter what time of day it is, there are always at least a dozen people running, and on the other side of us, there''s a bike trail that gets serious traffic, too. Just getting out and about in my neighborhood has been a big inspiration - I can''t wait to see what it''s like at the Bix. They''ve been playing commercials on TV showing all the runners starting and every time I see it, my mouth hangs open. It looks amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results