shape
carat
color
clarity

Mirror, mirror, on the wall...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

louisvgirl

Shiny_Rock
who is the prettiest of them all????? OUR DIAMONDS, of course!!

Can someone explain the phenomenon of why a diamond, or ring, looks 3x''s its size when looking in a mirror?? When I wash my hands and look at my ring in the mirror it looks BIG!! Why is that?? I''m not talking about those magnifying make-up mirrors that I use to pick at my face, make it all red, and regret it afterward, but just a regular mirror.

Does anyone know?? It does help with DSS, but I''m just baffled???

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve noticed something funny about one of my eternity bands: When I look at the top of my hand, the stones all look like the size they really are. When I look at the palm of my hand, the stones look bigger than they really are. Does anyone else notice this with their eternity bands, or is it just me?

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally, with mine, it''s the reflection on the windshield while I''m driving on a sunny day. HOLY BLING!!!
23.gif

I don''t know how I''ve managed to avoid getting into car accidents so far!
2.gif

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
Louisvgirl, I''ve noticed that too! And I love it...I''m always looking at my ring in mirrors!! I like to think that it''s because that''s how big it looks to everyone else.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/24/2008 4:03:52 PM
Author: Irishgrrrl
Personally, with mine, it''s the reflection on the windshield while I''m driving on a sunny day. HOLY BLING!!!
23.gif

2.gif
Mine too! It also looks sort of doubled - I can only imagine that much ring on my finger otherwise!

Snooper

Brilliant_Rock
Cute post. Rings always look larger on a computer screen as well.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve always thought that rings look bigger when we photograph them too. I look at some of my pictures and my diamond looks as big as a bread box! then I look at my hand and think.....not so much, it could be bigger......

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/24/2008 5:35:57 PM
Author: MonkeyPie

Date: 6/24/2008 4:03:52 PM
Author: Irishgrrrl
23.gif

2.gif
Mine too! It also looks sort of doubled - I can only imagine that much ring on my finger otherwise!
LOL! Monkey, I remember the first time I noticed the windshield reflection phenomenon. I was sitting in traffic and saw this BLING at the top of my windshield. I remember thinking that the reflection must be from the ring of the lady in the car right next to me, so I glanced up to get a better look. And then I thought, "Holy &*#$! That''s MY ring!!!"
23.gif
9.gif
10.gif

Isabelle

Brilliant_Rock
On a picture or on a computer screen they look bigger b/c the image is magnified many times over. That''s why I always say that blowing up an image and posting it on PS doesn''t give a fair representation of what you see when you see it IRL in terms of SIZE. This can be especially true with regard to prongs. :) I have always thought the reason a diamond looks larger on the finger when you look at it through a mirror is b/c diamonds capture light and radiate light through the facets. A mirror reflects light, so you see a halo effect of sorts created by the light reflected through the diamond and captured by a mirror. This makes the diamond look larger. If you look at a non-sparkly stone, for example, a pearl, it will appear true to size when you view it through the mirror. :)

akmiss

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/25/2008 10:07:07 AM
Author: Isabelle
On a picture or on a computer screen they look bigger b/c the image is magnified many times over. That''s why I always say that blowing up an image and posting it on PS doesn''t give a fair representation of what you see when you see it IRL in terms of SIZE. This can be especially true with regard to prongs. :) I have always thought the reason a diamond looks larger on the finger when you look at it through a mirror is b/c diamonds capture light and radiate light through the facets. A mirror reflects light, so you see a halo effect of sorts created by the light reflected through the diamond and captured by a mirror. This makes the diamond look larger. If you look at a non-sparkly stone, for example, a pearl, it will appear true to size when you view it through the mirror. :)
I think that you are probably right about this one
1.gif

Could scintillation have something to do with the diamond appearing larger in a mirror?
I have noticed that my diamond looks bigger on other people than on me..... Maybe its the angle
2.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just ran into the bathroom to check out my e-ring in the mirror and remembered that it''s at the jewelers! SOB! I chipped a stone in the band so they''re rushing to fix it so I have it back in time for the wedding.

Anyway, I never noticed that before, but my ring always looks bigger to me when I''m outdoors in sunlight than it does indoors.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/24/2008 3:13:59 PM
Author: Madam Bijoux
I've noticed something funny about one of my eternity bands: When I look at the top of my hand, the stones all look like the size they really are. When I look at the palm of my hand, the stones look bigger than they really are. Does anyone else notice this with their eternity bands, or is it just me?
I just compared; you are right!

Isabelle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/25/2008 12:20:03 PM
Author: akmiss

I think that you are probably right about this one
1.gif

Could scintillation have something to do with the diamond appearing larger in a mirror?

I think so, yes. :)

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A few years back I tried on a ring in a store and the sales person lead me to a full-length mirror and had me stand how I normally stand. The ring looked huge! I want to be surrounded by hand mirrors all the time
1.gif

ilovethiswebsite

Brilliant_Rock
ehheeh it''s so true... i noticed my diamond looks massive in the mirror.. heheh. I def. think it has to do with the light reflection and the distance to the mirror and back....

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Dude! So true! I like to look at my ring in the mirror solely for this purpose!
9.gif
This is so funny and so true!
36.gif

louisvgirl

Shiny_Rock
Yes, I think you''re right.

I''ve never noticed the windshield thing....I''ll try this one out today.....but i have tried my side view mirror while going through a drive through. People behind me must thing I''m nuts twisting and turning my hand to look at it in the mirror! Yes, crazy indeed. Only PS''rs would understand.
31.gif

So here''s another question....

If we see it that big in the mirror, do others perceive it that way??

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/25/2008 6:38:01 PM
Author: louisvgirl

Yes, I think you''re right.

I''ve never noticed the windshield thing....I''ll try this one out today.....but i have tried my side view mirror while going through a drive through. People behind me must thing I''m nuts twisting and turning my hand to look at it in the mirror! Yes, crazy indeed. Only PS''rs would understand.
31.gif

So here''s another question....

Unfortunately, I don''t think most people even notice our rings at all. Some do, of course (they''re probably all PS''ers, btw), but most don''t even look.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/25/2008 6:38:01 PM
Author: louisvgirl

On a picture or on a computer screen they look bigger b/c the image is magnified many times over. That's why I always say that blowing up an image and posting it on PS doesn't give a fair representation of what you see when you see it IRL in terms of SIZE. This can be especially true with regard to prongs. :) I have always thought the reason a diamond looks larger on the finger when you look at it through a mirror is b/c diamonds capture light and radiate light through the facets. A mirror reflects light, so you see a halo effect of sorts created by the light reflected through the diamond and captured by a mirror. This makes the diamond look larger. If you look at a non-sparkly stone, for example, a pearl, it will appear true to size when you view it through the mirror. :)
Yes, I think you're right.

I've never noticed the windshield thing....I'll try this one out today.....but i have tried my side view mirror while going through a drive through. People behind me must thing I'm nuts twisting and turning my hand to look at it in the mirror! Yes, crazy indeed. Only PS'rs would understand.
31.gif

So here's another question....

You know, I'd have to say yes. Lately at school (it's gemology school, so folks are more gemcentric) my classmates have been grabbing my hand and declaring that I have a huge ring. It's a 1.85 rb with good spread. Most think it's 2.5 ct. I like this effect! Makes me happy, whatever it is! Helps with the DSS for sure! (my dss comes and goes, though)

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess that''s why all jewelry counters have mirrors on stands - so you can admire the jewelry on your hand the way everyone else sees it.

I never look at them in jewelry stores because it feels like people would think you were just looking at yourself! Fitting rooms, however, are a different story. When trying on clothes in front of a mirror, you can''t help but see your ring. It always looks really big in those mirrors and I''ve often wondered if that''s the way the rest of the world sees it. Maybe the real test is putting your ring on someone else and standing three feet from them to see what it looks like!

ilovethiswebsite

Brilliant_Rock
my guess is the ring looks biggest in a mirror with good lighting thanks to good reflection and the mirror magnifying the light - but in real life - i would venture to say the ring probably looks bigger to other people than it does to us...

so in order:

mirror > other people > ourselves.

tehee.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
this is so funny - i developed the habit of passing a mirror and holding my ring up whenever i look down at it and think ''hmmmm, is it me or is my ring looking a little smaller/less sparkly today???'' the mirror always does the trick! funny that i never consciously registered this habit and its significance until i read this post, great observation louisvgirl!

oh, and i also had the experience of it looking larger on someone else than it appears to on me - my mom was playing around with my ring the other day and it looked huge on her. it didn''t seem like the same ring!

Isabelle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/26/2008 8:55:17 PM
Author: rainydaze
this is so funny - i developed the habit of passing a mirror and holding my ring up whenever i look down at it and think ''hmmmm, is it me or is my ring looking a little smaller/less sparkly today???'' the mirror always does the trick! funny that i never consciously registered this habit and its significance until i read this post, great observation louisvgirl!

oh, and i also had the experience of it looking larger on someone else than it appears to on me - my mom was playing around with my ring the other day and it looked huge on her. it didn''t seem like the same ring!

I have noticed this too! LOL

MMMD

Shiny_Rock
I''m giggling because I thought I was the only one who looked at her ring in mirrors, thinking it looked bigger.

Courtneylub

Brilliant_Rock
Does anyone else look in their rearview mirror while at a light and brush your hair out of your face just to look at your ring? If not, then I don''t do that either.

It always looks so much bigger in reflections and mirrors...I love it. Then people ask me "How many carats is that 1.5 - 2?" I''m always like...TWO!! It looks like 3 in the mirror ok?
9.gif

didiamond

Brilliant_Rock
I''m picturing every PSer RUNNING to their bathrooms to look at their rings in the mirror!
30.gif

I too check my rings out in my car. I like the look when I hold my hand up to the passenger window when the sun is shining in. They sparkle like crazy! I like to do it while I''m driving otherwise the driver next to me at a stop light might think I''m waving backwards to him/her!!!!!

Stephanie

Brilliant_Rock
Suddenly, the people at work are wondering why I am going to the bathroom so often... If they only knew...
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results