shape
carat
color
clarity

Does Georgia recognize the ordination of anyone to perform a marriage???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

doodle

Brilliant_Rock
I want my stepfather to perform my marriage ceremony, but if he were to get ordained online, I''m unsure whether this would be recognized as a legal marriage in the state of Georgia, and I really don''t know how to find out. Anyone know the answer or know where to find out this information? Thanks so much!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t know, but a quick google search brought up this page with some basic information. It also lists all the county clerks offices at the bottom so you could call and find out if it''s not on the webpage.

kimberlina13

Shiny_Rock
I didn''t realize you''re in Ga. I am too! I looked online and all I could find was this statement: Licensed or ordained ministers, clergymen, or pastors of recognized religious societies, and justices of the peace. So I take that to mean yes as the answer to your question. But it may vary by the county in which the ceremony will take place.

doodle

Brilliant_Rock
see, that''s all i could really figure out, too. plus, from what i read somewhere else, some states, even though they recognize the ordination, will only count it if you have a congregation. urgh! i guess i''ll have to call the government center and figure it out. thanks for the help, you two!

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
doodle, I''m not in GA, but we just applied for our marriage license anyway, and with it came an information packet taht had the specific info. on who can perform the ceremony and what the requirements were for our state. I would suggest googling marriage license in x county, find out the phone number for whatever office in the county issues marriage licenses, and call them to ask.

krispi

Shiny_Rock
A friend of mine got married in the Atlanta area a couple of years ago, and they were married by a friend of theirs that was ordained on the internet. Unless things have changed in the last couple of years, it should still be legal.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results