shape
carat
color
clarity

just another bridesmaid vent...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

doodle

Brilliant_Rock
be warned--this is a vent and most likely going to be a long one, but i''m putting it on here because venting to my friends would just make it get back to the person i''m venting about, so that defeats the purpose of getting it out of my system if it''d just make it worse, right?

a few nights ago, my FI and i invited over two couples, both of whom are very close friends. one of the girls, who i''ll call M, was ALL OVER her boy the whole night (they''ve been like this for three or four years--she actually straddled him on my couch and started grinding in the middle of everyone trying to watch a movie, and that''s not even remotely the most out there thing she did!). generally, i don''t say anything about it because i don''t feel like arguing with her--she''s one of my two best friends on earth, and most of the time, she''s a cool girl, but when she''s with him she just acts ridiculous. well, the next day, she came over, and she started making ugly comments about the other girl that was there (i''ll call her L), saying she thought it was disgusting and disrespectful that L was lounging on the couch with her legs open. Ordinarily, maybe she''d have a point, but A)i never even noticed L doing that, and B)if she had been, so what? she''s pregnant, and having a rough one at that. if she''d felt like she''d more comfortable propping her feet on my FI''s head, i would''ve told him to sit still! like i said, i generally don''t say anything about the way M acts, but her going on and on about L when she was so much worse that night just rubbed me the wrong way, so i told her, and this is a direct quote, "well, speaking of which, i thought you were a little over the line the other night, too". she immediately goes, "yeah, but WE''RE just kidding." i told her, "i understood that, but acting that way in front of other people makes them uncomfortable--we were trying to watch a movie, and every time you started doing that kind of stuff, people felt like they needed to look away, even though AWAY meant missing the movie because you guys were in everyone''s line of vision". she got PISSED, went off on me about how i call my FI pet names in front of her (the irony being that she calls him the same names, so she''s the only person i''ve EVER done that in front of). i said that i had no problem with her calling her bf pet names in front of me, but when you''re putting on a display of physical contact that should be reserved for private moments, it''s awkward for others. skipping the rest of the conversation because it was pretty much repeating myself over and over, she started crying and stormed out. by the way, she''s moving and had wanted me to help her pack, so before this argument, i had been sitting in my apartment for TWO HOURS waiting on her to get there so we could go to her place and i could help her pack her stuff. two and a half hours, then she just walks out the door with a chip on her shoulder.

throughout us arguing, i apologized several times once i realized she was upset, not for what i said but if the way that i had set it was hurtful or rude. she walked out in the middle of that.

this girl''s one of my best friends, but i know how she stews when she''s angry. we''ve only been in one other fight ever because she thought i told her bf something that i did not, and she didn''t speak to me for two weeks (for something that i never even did). i feel like i already apologized for possibly bringing up the subject in the wrong way and she walked out on it, and beyond that, i don''t think that i owe her an apology because she WAS out of line and being disrespectful to me, my FI, and our guests in our home. am i out of line on this one?

for the record, i know this is one of the most ridiculous arguments ever--i feel like i''ve flashbacked to high school! i suppose if it ever gets worked out, i''ll maybe even find it humorous, but right now i''m thinking that i have four months until my wedding, and my best friend won''t even speak to me.
15.gif

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
I don''t have very many friends and the reason being is that I don''t allow toxic people in my life.

Over-dramatic, let me grind on my boyfriend in front of everyone and then storm out in tears because someone confrotned me on it is pure toxic...you know the green slimey one that morphs you into a hideous creature whenever you go near it.

I know she''s your best friend but I think its time to cut her loose...or leave your interactions down to things where you know she''ll show her best side. Who needs that mess??

And seriously...I don''t know how you and your guests put up with the grinding on the coach. I have been in a room where people were just making out and I get pissed...but then again I''m not a PDA type of girl. We''ll kiss on the lips and hug but never full on foreplay.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
doodle: I'm in a similar situation, however this is how I have dealt with it. My friend isn't sexualy rude in your way, but more of a makes your friendship feel pointless way. (We'll call her T) Since I moved to Houston a year ago, T hasn't visited me once, and has blown me off a few times when I have come home. But after much thought, I realized that T has always been this way, and I can't get mad at her for something she's always done. We were just growing apart. These types of relationships will work themselves out. Unfortunately, for T and I that means me writing an email or a text once a week, and hearing a response 3 days later, if I'm lucky. She believes that all she needs in life is a man that loves her, and a "sideline" girlfriend (Me) to answer the phone and talk whenever they get in a fight and she needs to vent. I will answer when she calls, but I no longer get irritated that she doesn't call me to see how I'm doing, sadly I don't care. Looking back, our friendship had always been about her anyway...

My advice, You know how she is, and it seems like she's been like this a long time. Don't invite her to dinner parties, and don't put yourselves in a situation where you know she's going to embarass you or your other guests. She's just being herself, and that obviously means that she doesn't care about boundries in public or a social setting. If she cares about the friendship and realizes that she's losing time with you as a friend because of her actions, then hopefully she'll wise up. As for talking crap about the other girl, that just shows immaturity. It sounds to me like there is a huge maturity gap in your friendship with her and your other friendships. Is the other couple married? Maybe she's jealous and acting out?

I hope this helped. Good luck!

mimzy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/12/2008 2:23:03 PM
Author: meresal
doodle: Is the other couple married? Maybe she''s jealous and acting out?
I hope this helped. Good luck!

i was thinking the same thing. is there any chance that she might be insecure in her relationship or in general? it sounds like she was trying to get attention (and if it was seriously in jest, then laughs too), or maybe she''s overcompensating for something that is lacking in her relationship. before writing her off i would definitely try to talk to her rationally and when she isn''t in attack mode. let her know how much you care about her and your friendship and that this IS trivial but that you want to clear the air. see if you can get to the root of the behavior. chances are once she realizes how you feel about it she is going to be really embarrassed, so try not to rub her face in her mistakes, if you know what i mean. if she really is your best friend she should open up to you and talk it out. good luck!

aprilcait

Brilliant_Rock
Doodle, what a frustrating situation. I'm sorry you're having to deal with that.

I agree with Fieryred. I don't have a lot of friends because I'm not willing to have drama queens or toxic people in my life (unless they're related to me... then I'm stuck with 'em
28.gif
).

I obviously don't know your friend, but she seems like the kind of person who can't handle criticism well and, when she is criticized or called out on something, she is fast to bring out the claws and she decides when and how the argument will end (usually badly). From my experience, usually these people need to step away, stew for a bit, then process the situation in order to process things. If so, it's probably best to just let her have her space and let her come back when she's ready. Now, obviously, I could be 100% wrong here, so just ignore me if I'm off.

Honestly, I can't deal with temper tantrums (i.e.: what it sounds like your friend threw). It drives me up the wall. My sister does the same thing and then a week later will call me up acting all cheery like nothing happened. To me, that's a bit odd to deal with but to each his/her own!

Stay strong, hon'!

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
I'm sorry! If you want to remain friends with her, I guess you'll have to modify your expectations.

I had a friend like that and I eventually had to let her go. She was just so selfish that at a certain point in my life, I decided it was healthier to let her be. And she to this day, is 39 and has never had a serious boyfriend & has no good friends. I was the only one who was her good friend because I felt like she couldn't help herself. But eventually I became a victim of that. And I hate to say it, but now I understand why she'd complain that all the men she dated RAN in the other direction. When someone is that self-centered, most people don't want to get sucked in.

It's very sad, actually. I really hope she finds her way and I try to understand the suffering she's going through just being herself. Every time I think of her, I do wish her the best.

Maybe in your case, she is a really good person and can rub you the wrong way sometimes. If she's your best friend, then give her another chance. The storming off thing and the constant complaining sounds like she has a lot of self esteem issues. She sounds like she is insecure or not self aware enough to think about others. I hope your love and friendship is enough to bring her around so she can feel what it's like to be in another person's shoes. Running away, storming out is not a healthy way for her to behave... Awwww.... HUGS

doodle

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for all the input--it''s nice to know I wasn''t the one who was totally off base. the thing with M is that she really is one of the greatest people i''ve ever known...until it comes to her bf. they''ve been on again/off again for years, and y''all are right--it IS an insecurity issue. they''ve been back and forth so many times, and now that they''re finally doing well (this is the same friend whose bf i''ve been helping ring shop), it''s like she feels like she always has to prove that. i think the way she was acting was almost like a dog marking its territory. the situation is compounded because he''s been trying for a while now to get enough money to get her a ring, and during that time, most of the rest of our group of friends has either gotten married or is engaged (the other couple that was there that night is the pair i posted about who are attempting to put together a wedding in three weeks). i think my bringing it up with her tapped into a little too much of that--she generally isn''t the type to get her panties in a twist and storm out. i''ve had the same couple of girlfriends for 15 to 20 years, so sometimes we take that friendship for granted--we treat each other less like friends and more like sisters that are always going to be there either way.

i appreciate the feedback--thanks for listening!

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
I''m sorry you''re having to deal with this, doodle...I hope you and your friend get things worked out!

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Doodle I thought I replied to this yesterday, but I think I may have lost my post. Anyway, sorry for the delay. If you hadn''t known this girl so long I would say drop her since she is so toxic when she is with this guy. However, I do think she needs at least a chance to change. You should not have to be on such thin ice with her worried about her getting mad at you that you can''t say.."Umm..stop grinding with your BF in my living room, please?" I mean that''s ridiculous hun.
40.gif
They (your friend and her BF) were disrespecting everyone there. So I know she is a long-time friend, but I really think after the wedding stuff is over you need to reevaluate whether she''s worth keeping as a friend because she is not acting like a good friend. Even if she is really fun, is it worth it for her toxicity? That''s up to you to decide not me I suppose, haha. As for wedding stuff, hopefully she will come around. ((Hugs))

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results