shape
carat
color
clarity

Going to the Opera! What to wear??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
At the end of June we''re going to see La Rondine at the Dorothy Chandler, in downtown LA. I''m sure, since it''s LA, people will be wearing jeans
20.gif
but it''s also our 1st anniversary gift to each other (he''s buying the tickets, I''m springing for the ritzy hotel room
31.gif
), so I wanna dress up!

Am I safe with the classic LBD? What length? Would a blue dress be OK? I think I look better in blue...

Help my fashion-challenged self find something suitable and classic (but hot!) for under $200. I''m a 16-18, 5''9", um, generously endowed on top.

V-necks work well, but halters/crossover tops not so much. I like my knees covered at least.

TIA, shopping gurus!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think a nice dress that is fitted on the top and flowier on the bottom would be great. Maybe mid calf or just below the knee, and even with a cap sleeve? Black or blue sounds great.

I know LA having lived there almost all my life til I moved and yes people do wear jeans. But they do it in NY and in Philly too..

I would not even be so opposed to really really dark jeans with a beautiful top and great shoes and accessories for some things, but the opera seems to be a dress up even to me no matter what.

How nice a night you guys will have, happy anniversary!

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
DF, I guess that sounded a bit snobbish...I would have worn jeans to my own wedding if I could have and normally I love the informality of LA, but when I was reading some reviews on Yelp about the DC, I was shocked that some mentioned people wearing sweats to La Boheme!

I like your thoughts on a flowy dress. I'm picturing something chiffony, or even a shirtdress, well-accesorized...

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/20/2008 10:52:04 PM
Author:Selkie
At the end of June we''re going to see La Rondine at the Dorothy Chandler, in downtown LA. I''m sure, since it''s LA, people will be wearing jeans
20.gif
but it''s also our 1st anniversary gift to each other (he''s buying the tickets, I''m springing for the ritzy hotel room
31.gif
), so I wanna dress up!

Am I safe with the classic LBD? What length? Would a blue dress be OK? I think I look better in blue...

Help my fashion-challenged self find something suitable and classic (but hot!) for under $200. I''m a 16-18, 5''9'', um, generously endowed on top.

V-necks work well, but halters/crossover tops not so much. I like my knees covered at least.

TIA, shopping gurus!
Well, I''m not a shopping guru, but I have to post my wistful envy. To have a man who would buy tickets to an opera, attend said opera, and live in a town where there was opera....well. Lucky girl. :)
The closest opera to me is in Dallas, although I think Tulsa may have one...
Years ago I saw Madame Butterfly at the Dallas Opera. It was marvelously done.
And there was an international opera singer in the family: I didn''t stand a chance of not liking it!
2.gif

I''m sure you will be lovely in whatever you choose. I think a LBD would be fine in any length you''re comfortable with. But be sure and take a shawl - I''d do a burnout velvet one.
1.gif
Theatres often get cold, at least to me.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Selkie~ I''m an 18 and also generously endowed, I just bought THIS black and white Donna Ricco. I haven''t received it yet, though. I think it''ll work well on a curvy figure and also add some style without looking like a patterned nightmare. I''m going to put some colored shoes and accessories with it for an event and then wear it with black heels and diamonds for a more glammed up look. Maybe it''ll work for you.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/20/2008 11:13:39 PM
Author: ksinger
Well, I''m not a shopping guru, but I have to post my wistful envy. To have a man who would buy tickets to an opera, attend said opera, and live in a town where there was opera....well. Lucky girl. :)

The closest opera to me is in Dallas, although I think Tulsa may have one...

Years ago I saw Madame Butterfly at the Dallas Opera. It was marvelously done.

And there was an international opera singer in the family: I didn''t stand a chance of not liking it!
2.gif

I''m sure you will be lovely in whatever you choose. I think a LBD would be fine in any length you''re comfortable with. But be sure and take a shawl - I''d do a burnout velvet one.
1.gif
Theatres often get cold, at least to me.

I guess I am pretty lucky...it was even his suggestion! I''ve been to plenty of musical theater, light opera, classical music performances, etc. but this will be my first opera. I''m excited! Thanks for the shawl suggestion too.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/20/2008 11:16:47 PM
Author: somethingshiny
Selkie~ I''m an 18 and also generously endowed, I just bought THIS black and white Donna Ricco. I haven''t received it yet, though. I think it''ll work well on a curvy figure and also add some style without looking like a patterned nightmare. I''m going to put some colored shoes and accessories with it for an event and then wear it with black heels and diamonds for a more glammed up look. Maybe it''ll work for you.

Oooh, I like that a lot! I love the shirring on the bodice, and that it''s silk chiffon. Thanks!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
The back is even shirred. Usually those details stop at the side seams. It looks really well made and silk/chiffon always lay nicely for me, drape over the figure instead of clinging.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Selkie~ I rec''d the black and white Donna Ricco dress today. I''m 5''7" and it hits just below my knee. The silk is patterned with the black floral and the chiffon overlay is too. The detail work is beautiful! If it wasn''t for the zipper, you could wear it inside out!! I ordered the 18w and my measurements are 47 35 49. Their 18w measurements are 47 38.5 49. Even though the measurements are close to my own, the waist is quite big and the bust is a bit snug. I''m going to take it to my mom and see if the waist inset can be brought in a bit and wear a minimizer with it to see if it can be made to work. The dress really is beautiful and lays nicely. Nordstroms carries Donna Ricco, so if you have one near you, maybe you could try on before purchasing.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, somethingshiny! Glad to hear you are happy with it. I ended up ordering another dress from Donna Ricco for the opera because I wanted a jewel-tone, but I think I will go back and get the black and white one for my cousin''s wedding too. I ordered a 16W. My measurements are pretty close to yours, maybe 1" less in bust and hips, so hopefully it will fit properly. I ended up with this one: DR Sleeveless wrap dress. I wish I could combine the style of the black and white one with the color of this one for the opera outing!

And wow. If you''re not a size 2-10, it''s damn hard to find nice, affordable, non-matronly dresses online. I was up until past midnight looking everywhere I could think
29.gif

DR_green.jpg

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Selkie, I did not think anything negative. I was just saying that it is sort of a shame to me that people literally wear jeans everywhere and though it might fly 90% of the time, I think the opera deserves more than that. Plus it is your anni and I think it is nice to dress up now and then! I wanted you to know it is not just an LA thing at all sadly...

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Selkie~ I was eyeing that dress, too! I took mine into a seamstress today (after my mom said it was a quick fix, but she doesn''t have the time) It''s going to be $12 to take in the waist and it''ll be perfect! It is so hard to find a nice dress in my size, I think I''ve found a "go to" designer, though.

You can do a lot of looks with that jewel tone dress, too. You could do a metallic shoe and bag, a same color shoe, or like a purply color-a great contrast. Super cute, hope you like yours as much as you like mine!

Oh, and I''m not a big shopper usually (except bags and shoes), but we''re so close in size and apparently taste, I''d love to hear/see some of the deals you come across. You know, not maternity, not sr. citizen!

Gemma12

Brilliant_Rock
Selkie, I love that dress and think it will be perfect for the opera! Hope you have a great time and happy anniversary!

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Selkie, you shouldn''t limit yourself to a particular color or style when picking a dress. Wear whatever you feel beautiful in. I go to the opera several times a year and most people are usually dressed in work clothes. I haven''t seen anyone in jeans or ballgowns. Everything in between is acceptable
1.gif

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Gemma and babymonster, thanks! I think the dress I chose is pretty flexible, in that I can dress it up or down. I only wear a nice dress once or twice a year, so I want to make it count!

Shiny-We do have similar taste! I see we both do yoga too. Work clothes for me are super casual-jeans, khakis, and nice t-shirts or blouses. Most of my clothes are from J. Jill, Territory Ahead, and Target-I''m soooo trendy!
5.gif
But I''ve been trying to branch out, so I''ll definitely post anything awesome I come across.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Just realized in my last post I wrote "hope you like yours as much as you like mine!" Obviously, the end of that sentence should have been "as much as I like mine!"

btw- what is Territory Ahead?? The closest J.Jill and Target have very limited sizes, so it''s usually a bust for me to try them. I go to Fashion Bug pretty often, sometimes get a great deal at Kohl''s and I just found this store called Dots-it''s super-cheap and has some cute tops.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
I knew what you meant.
1.gif

When I buy from J. Jill it''s usually online for the same reason. Sometimes the stores carry pants in 18, but rarely. I do get lucky with finding shirts and sweaters in the sale section often though. Territory Ahead/Isabella Bird is a Santa Barbara based catalog store, with casual men''s and women''s clothes: Territory Ahead

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Do you think I can wear bronze shoes with the green dress?

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
My Donna Ricco dress arrived, and I love it. Better yet, I tried it on for DH, and he loved it. It''s very high quality, fits well, and is sexy without being super revealing. I''ve decided to wear black shoes with it, most likely these Sofft Mary Janes. Now I''m on the lookout for a black shawl or wrap of some kind.

214VS9B81SL._AA280_.jpg

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Oh great! It''s a beautiful color! The Hunger Site has cheap, nice pashminas. Personally I think that color with bronze would be a knockout, but it''s not my place to stand between you and new shoes!
25.gif

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Selkie, I just saw your shoe question, but it appears you''ve changed your mind. I think you could do a bronze or a black shoe. Since the dress is so simple, I would really do a flashy shoe. I''m glad you love your dress!!

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/31/2008 2:28:56 PM
Author: Selkie
My Donna Ricco dress arrived, and I love it. Better yet, I tried it on for DH, and he loved it. It's very high quality, fits well, and is sexy without being super revealing. I've decided to wear black shoes with it, most likely these Sofft Mary Janes. Now I'm on the lookout for a black shawl or wrap of some kind.

I have these (sofft Calypso) in 'aubergine' and these shoes are INCREDIBLY comfy and I get complimented on them every day when I wear them out and about. I'm talking 'happy toes moment' comfy, and they are uber-cute on the foot; they make me feel dainty, thinner, and very chic when I wear them.

They've got a nasty clack with the hardness of the heel so you might want to stick something on the hell to soften the sound it makes.

I saw some calypsos on shoes.com clearance section after checking out this tip from a deals site "until June 13th, use code SUMMERSALE08 to save an extra 25% off sale and clearance shoes" but they have limited sizing.

Still, it drops the price of them from about $90 down to about $54.

Hope that helps!
35.gif

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, ladies. I wear an 11 so very few cute shoes out there come in my size, boo. I did find some bronze shoes I liked the look of, but I decided that I''d wear the black shoes more often. Thanks for the tip Galateia, but I actually got the Mary Janes already, through Amazon from FootSmart for $59. You are SO right about how comfy and cute they are! I wore them around the house for a couple of hours yesterday to make sure I could deal with them (I have mild plantar fasciitis) and was fine. I was tempted to get them in aubergine, as well. They are suede, and the little flower is adorable, I think they are definitely dressy enough to give the outfit a little kick. I''m getting excited! I just booked our hotel room at the Omni in downtown. It''s two blocks from the Dorothy Chandler, and hmmm, coincidentally
28.gif
a couple blocks from the LA jewelry mart.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
hi selkie - i have those shoes too! super comfy and i get lots of compliments on them as well.

have a wonderful time at the opera, what a treat!

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/2/2008 10:54:22 AM
Author: rainydaze
hi selkie - i have those shoes too! super comfy and i get lots of compliments on them as well.

have a wonderful time at the opera, what a treat!
awesome, thanks!

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/22/2008 8:34:01 PM
Author: Selkie
I knew what you meant.
1.gif

When I buy from J. Jill it''s usually online for the same reason. Sometimes the stores carry pants in 18, but rarely. I do get lucky with finding shirts and sweaters in the sale section often though. Territory Ahead/Isabella Bird is a Santa Barbara based catalog store, with casual men''s and women''s clothes: Territory Ahead
Yay Territory Ahead! They''re a funny company because their flagship store and outlet store are literally like a block away from each other. Nice casual clothes, though--bf really likes them.

OK, sorry--had to give a Santa Barbara shoutout.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Ladypirate, I''ve actually gone on a roadtrip to Santa Barbara expressly to hit the TA outlet and store (and other shops, too)! Last time I was up there I got the most awesome canvas and leather purse. We do have one retail store down here in SoCal, but it''s small.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results