shape
carat
color
clarity

Which metal to use for eternity band?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

inlove8

Rough_Rock
Hi All!
My fiance and I started shopping for my wedding band. I would like a round cut eternity band (hopefully with about .13 pointers). The sales girls told us we should set the diamonds in 18k gold since gold is stronger and will endure tougher conditions compared to platinum. Plus the diamonds will each be a decent size of about 13 points, she said it''d be safer to set it in 18k.
What are your expert thoughts? Will platinum hold up fine for eternity bands?

Thanks for your help!

Splinter

Shiny_Rock
Bead set or channel set?

Either way I''m not sure there''s all that much difference between the two metals for this type of design...

Splinter

Shiny_Rock
For a design like that I don''t think it will make any difference. Price will probably be the biggest factor.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I''d suggest platinum for anything with prongs--platinum prongs might bend under severe pressure, but they won''t break. White gold prongs will break--I had a prong break on a white gold eternity before having it remade in platinum (it was the vendor''s mistake, it was supposed to be PLT to begin with).

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/4/2008 12:31:44 PM
Author: NewEnglandLady
I''d suggest platinum for anything with prongs--platinum prongs might bend under severe pressure, but they won''t break. White gold prongs will break--I had a prong break on a white gold eternity before having it remade in platinum (it was the vendor''s mistake, it was supposed to be PLT to begin with).

I agree with NEL. There''s a reason that many rings that are gold have platinum prongs.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
My new setting is 14k white gold but the prongs which hold my centre diamond are platinum.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Quality of the setting here rather than the type of metal is key. I would just make sure your jeweler makes high quality pieces otherwise you might get stones loose frequently no matter what metal you choose. Personally, I think platinum is fine but I would just get the one you prefer or is in your budget.

inlove8

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for your input!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results